1. 今天上午你干了多少活儿？（work） How much work have you done this morning? 2. 开凿隧道需要大量的劳动力。（labour） To dig a tunnel will need a great amount of labour 3. 他做了最少的工作。（work） He’s done the least work. 4. 处理这一问题有几种方法。（method） There are several methods of approaching this problem 5. 我不懂多少语法。I know little French. 6. 少说空话（empty talk）多干事实（practical work） There must be less empty talk but more practical work. 7. 有多少人出席招待会吗？ There must be less empty talk but more practical work. 8. 我可以和你谈几句话吗？（words） May I have a few words with you? 9. 今天参观展览会的人数比昨天少。 There were fewer people today at the exhibition than yesterday. 10. 哈利 犯的错误最少。（Harry） Harry made the fewest mistakes. 11. 我读的诗（poetry）和做的练习都比较多。 You’ve learnt more poetry and done more exercises than I have. 12. 杰克 做的工作最多，犯的错误也最多。 Jack’s done the most work and made the most mistakes.
1 / 11
13. 他做了很多工作，也犯了很多错误。 He’s done a lot of work and made a lot of mistakes. 14. 百万富翁有很多钱财（money），也有很多烦恼。 A millionaire has lots of money—and lots of worries. 15. 安娜因为没有足够的钱财而烦恼众生。 Anna has enough worries because she hasn’t got enough money. 16. 每隔几分钟电话铃就响一次。The telephone rang every few minutes. 17. 在过去这几次的寒冷日子里，我们一直坚持实验。 We have been persisting in making the experiment all these last few cold days 18. 他新编的两本英语语言学著作都将在 2011 年出版。 Both his next books on English linguistics will come out in 2006. 19. 我们很快得知，还得再等三星期。 Soon we learned that we had to wait another three more weeks. 20.我兄弟花了一千美元买了一辆旧汽车，但我买到同样货色却花了两倍价钱。 My brother spent $ 500 for a second-hand car, but I spent almost twice the amount for the same stuff.
1. 光比声走的快。（sound）Light travels faster than sound. 2. 请安静，别让我听到一点儿声音。（sound） Be quiet, please. Don’t let me hear a sound. 3. 在书写英语时，每个词之后要留一个间隔。（space） In writing English, after each word we leave a space. 4. 这只箱子占的地位太多了。（space）This box occupies too much space. 5. 饱餐之后，你应该休息一会。（rest）After a big meal, you should take a rest.
2 / 11
6. 人人都需要吃喝和休息。Everybody needs food, drink and rest. 7. 这样做是出于好意。（kindness） He did it out of kindness 8. 谢谢你，你帮了我一个忙。（kindness） Thank you. You have done me a kindness. 9. 他住在近处。He lives close at hand. 10. 孩子们吃尽继父的苦头。 The children suffered a lot at the hands of their stepfather. 11. 你有英文词典吗？（hand）Have you got an English-French dictionary? 12. 你有英文词典和法文词典吗？ Have you got an English dictionary and a French dictionary? 13. 我觉得我花园里那红白相间的玫瑰怎么样？ How do you like the red and white roses in my garden? 14. 你看见我花园里那些红玫瑰和白玫瑰吗？ Have you seen the red (roses) and the white roses in my garden? 15. 他还在住院医疗。He is still in hospital. 16. 我打算到医院去看他。I’m going to the hospital to see him 17. 在房屋面前有个花园。（front）There is a garden in front of the house. 18. 在书的卷头有一副插画。（front）There is a picture in the front of the book. 19. 这种衣服的样式已经不时兴了。（fashion） This style of dress is no longer in fashion. 20. 她喜欢阅读有关最新的服装款式。（fashion） She likes to read about the latest fashion. 21. 吃饭时不要多话。（table）Don’t talk too much at table. 22. 我的朋友正伏案写信。（table）
3 / 11
My friend was sitting at the table writing a letter. 23. 我们访问时，他正在家吃饭。（dinner） When we called, his family was giving a dinner. 24. 我们访问时，他家正举行宴会。（dinner） When we called, his family was giving a dinner. 25. 学生们喜欢上了他们的老师。（fancy） The students take / took quite a fancy to their teacher. 26. 展览厅里的展品很快把参观者 吸引住了。（fancy） The exhibits in the hall soon took the fancy of the visitors 27. 这位老人拥有一大笔财产。（possession） The old man is in possession of a huge fortune. 28. 这个岛屿曾为英国所占有。（possession） This island was once in the possession of the Great Britain. 29. 如果有病，你必须马上就医。（case） You must immediately consult a doctor in case of illness. 30.Pauline 比较迟钝，这与 Mary 的情况就不同，她就是懒。（case） Pauline is stupid, but it is different in the case of Mary; she is just lazy.
1. 别大声说话，孩子们在睡觉。（sleep） Don’t speak loudly. The children are sleeping 2. 别打扰我，我在思考问题。（think）Don’t disturb me. I’m thinking. 3. 孩子们在不断地蹦跳，以便热身。（jump） The children were jumping to keep warm. 4. 那女人发疯了，她不断一头撞墙。（hit）
4 / 11
The woman got mad. She was hitting her head against the wall. 5. Old Tom 懂俄语，可是说不好。（know） Old Tom knows Russian, but he can’t speak it well 6. 我希望她会喜欢这玫瑰花。（hope）I hope she likes these roses 7. Halleck 在性格和外表方面都很像其父。（resemble） Halleck resembles his father very much in disposition and appearance. 8. 这料子手感柔软。（feel）This material feels soft. 9. 我相信我们一定会成功。（believe）I believe we will certainly achieve success. 10. 昨晚，我们在一家泰国饭馆用餐，几乎所有菜肴都有辣味。（taste） I believe we will certainly achieve success. 11. 在语法方面，英语和西班牙语大不相同。（differ from）. In grammar, English differs greatly from Spanish/ 12. 这巴士能载 40 人。（hold）This bus can hold 40 people. 13. 这条规则适用于所有的游客。（apply）This rule applies to all the tourists. 14. 他们当时都在谈论环境污染问题。（talk） They were talking about pollution of the environment. 15. 春天到了，树头正在变绿。（turn） Spring is here. The treetops are turning green. 16. 那儿的经济情况变得雪上加霜。（change） The economic situation there has changed from bad to worse. 17. 我老了，我不能不幸这么长的距离。（get） I’m getting old. I can’t walk such a long distance. 18. 这箱子重 50kg。（weigh）This trunk weighs 50 kilos. 19. 你真是在想入非非。（imagine）Surely you are imagining things.
5 / 11
20. 我并不感觉很劳累。（feel）I am not feeling (I don’t feel) very tired.
1. 这个案件正由警察调查中。（look into） This case is being looked into by the police. 2. 不久孩子们就对他们的新老师产生好感。（take to） Before long the children had taken to their new teacher. 3. 我们不能依赖别国帮助我们渡过难关。（rely on） We can’t rely on other countries to help us tide over the difficulty. 4. 第一次世界大战爆发于 1914 年。（break out） The First World War broke out in 1914. 5. 当她苏醒过来时，他发现自己躺在医院里。（come to） When she came to, she found herself lying in a hospital. 6. 他并非真正悲伤，不过是在装模作样。（put on） He was not really feeling sad. He was just putting on. 7. 最后一分钟突然冒出了一些新问题。（crop up） Some new problems cropped up at the last minute. 8. 由于大部分会员缺席，会议不得不取消。（call off） As most members were absent, the meeting had to be called off. 9. 你能想出办法解决这一问题吗？（figure out） Can you figure out a way to solve this problem? 10. 当他被批评时，变大发脾气。（flare up）When he was criticized, he flared up. 11. 别受骗上当。（take in）Don’t be taken in. 12. 我很生气，他竟说出那种粗话。（come out with） I got very angry that he should come out with that rude remark.
6 / 11
13. 你必须用功学习，否则难以跟上。（keep up with）. You must work hand, or you won’t be able to keep up with the rest of the class. 14. Sophie 明天将请一天假，我必须顶替她。（fill in for） Sophie is going to take a day off tomorrow; I must fill in for her. 15. 我们打算在下次会议上提出这个问题。（bring up） We are going to bring up this question at the next meeting. 16. 我盼望在上海见到你。（look forward to） I’m going to forward to meeting you in Shanghai. 17. 我们都尊敬林医生，因为她忘我地为病人服务。（look up to） We all look up to Doctor Lin, because she serves patients selflessly. 18. 他在美国工作了三年，并充分利用这个机会来提高他的英语水平。（make the most of） He worked in the United States for three years, and he made the most of the opportunity to improve his English. 19. 他太懒了，把住房弄的一塌糊涂。（make the mess of） She was so lazy that she made a mess of her room. 20. 这是一辆旧车，已经转手好几次了。（change hands） She was so lazy that she made a mess of her room.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 滴水穿石。Patience wears out stones. 骄必败。Pride goes before a fall. 事实胜于雄辩。 Facts speak louder than words. 一燕不成夏。One swallow doesn’t make a summer. 长江流入东海。The Yangtze river flows into the East China Sea.
7 / 11
6. 7. 8.
月球上没有水。Water doesn’t exist on the moon. 夏威夷气候从来不冷。It isn’t ever cold in Hawaii. 在巴黎，五月份天气并非总是美好；有时多雨。
May in Paris isn’t always nice; it sometimes rains a lot. 9. 10. 他间或出错，但不是市场出错。He occasionally is wrong, but not often. 他从来不做家庭作业，但在班上学习很好。
He never does any homework, but he does well in class. 11. 我们的公司并非总是高额盈利。
Our company doesn’t always make very high profits. 12. 母亲通常不在早晨喝咖啡。
My mother doesn’t usually have coffee in the morning. 13. 她几乎从来不在午夜之前就寝。
She hardly ever goes to bed before midnight. 14. Arizona 州首府凤凰城天气很干燥；几乎不下雨。
Phoenix, the capital of Arizona, is very dry; it hardly ever rains. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 星期日我父母很少去做礼拜。My parents seldom go to church on Sundays. 地球围绕太阳转。The earth revolves round the sun. 印度位于中国迤南。India lies to the south of China. 泰晤士河流经伦敦。The Thames flows through London. 我通常投民主党的票，而我的室友几乎总是投共和党的票。
I usually vote for a Democrat, but my roommate almost always votes for a Republican. 20. 使人人遭殃的风才是恶风。It is an ill wind that blows nobody good.
8 / 11
1. 2. 上星期他每天来看我。He came to see me every day last week. 现在是冬天，我们通常七点半钟吃早饭。
It is winter time. We usually have breakfast at seven thirty. 3. 你现在穿的这双鞋买了多久了？
How long ago did you buy the shoes you are wearing? 4. 老教授走进教室，打开书本便开始讲课。
The old professor stepped into the classroom, opened the book and began to teach. 5. 6. 我多么希望你也在这里和我们在一起。How I wish you were here with us! Jane 告诉我，你明年即将进大学。
Jane tells me you’re entering college next year. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 罗马建成非一日之功。 Rome was not built in a day. 滚石不生苔。A rolling stone gathers no moss. 熟能生巧。Practice makes perfect. 谁笑在最后，谁笑得最好。He who laughs last ,he who laughs best. 好心有好报。One good turn deserves another. 这种液体一加上阿摩尼亚就变为橙色。
Whenever ammonia is added to this liquid, its colour changes to organge. 13. 我想知道你可否把你的汽车借我一用。
I wondered if you could lend me your car. 14. 15. 我听说老亨利昨晚死了。I hear that old Henry died last night. 这台录音机很容易操作。瞧着我怎么做：先接通电源，揿这个按钮，机器就开
动了。This tape recorder is easy to operate. Watch what I do. I switch it on, press this button and it starts.
9 / 11
1. 2. 3. 雨一停，我们就动身。We’ll start off as soon as the rain stops. 一有消息，我就给你打电话。I’ll ring you up directly I hear the news. 如果你明天一早动身，就得在睡觉前把行李打包好。
If you are leaving early tomorrow morning, you’ll have to finish packing before bedtime. 4. 委员们定于下星期四开会来解决这一问题。
The members of committee are to gather next Thursday to settle the question. 5. 他不可以在这儿待下去。他得马上离开。
He is not to stay here any longer. He is to leave at once. 6. 她说，到周末她将已经返回中国。
She said that by the end of the week she would have been back to China. 7. 昨天他告诉我，他打算下个月结婚。
He told me yesterday that he was going to get married next month. 8. 他在记者招待会上宣布，日本首相定于下星期一访华。
He announced at the press conference that the prime minister of Japan was to visit China next Monday. 9. 你假如明早六时去看他，他正在做早操。
If you go and see him at six, he will be taking morning exercises. 10. 明晚七点半你在做什么？
What will you be doing at 7: 30 tomorrow evening? 11. 下星期你从南京回来，讨论会已经结束。
When you come back from Nanjing next week, the discussion will have finished.
10 / 11
By next weekend, I’ll have been here for a whole year. 13. 14. 车未停稳，切勿下车。Don’t get off the bus till it stops. 明年夏天他们打算到大连去度假。
They are going to spend their holidays in Dalian next summer. 15. 瞧！乌云满天，就要下雨了。
Look! The dark clouds are gathering. It is going to rain. 16. 如果他来时我在吃中饭，请告诉他等一会儿。
If I’m at lunch when he comes, please tell him to wait a little while. 17. 去西安以前我们还要在这儿呆一两天。
We’ll stay here for a couple of days before we go on to Xi’an. 18. 我们明晚彩排，你来吗？
We’re having our dress rehearsal tomorrow evening. Are you coming? 19. 多少学生要去？他们坐船去吗？
How many students are going? Are they going by boat? 20. 外长们原定于五月十四日开会来讨论缓和危机的建议，可是战争爆发了。
The Foreign Ministers were to have met on May 14 to discuss the proposals for easing the crisis, but the war broke out.
11 / 11