2013 年英语专四真题及答案解析--汇总 【2013 年英语专四真题及答案解析--听写部分参考答案】
What is a dream for? One theory is that we dream to release the deep, secret desires. We do not express these desires in real life because of the rules of polite society. Another theory is that dreams allow us to solve problems that we can't solve in real life. We go to sleep with a problem and wake up with the solution. This may be a way to use our dreams rather than a purpose of dreaming. If you believe that your dreams are important, then analyzing them may help you to focus on the problem and help you to find the solution. The modern image is that dreams are the brain's way of cleaning up the computer’s hard disk. Dreams organize the events of the day into folders and delete what is not needed. But we all know that very little of what we dream is concerned with what happened to us that day.
51. Facing the board of directors, he didn’t deny __________ breaking t he agreement. A. him B. it C. his D. its 解析：本题考查动名词的逻辑主语。动名词可以有自己的逻辑（意义）主语， 一般可以用名词所有格 Tom's，代词宾格如 him（口语） ，书面语情况下一般用 物主代词 his，their。本题选 C，但我还是要吐槽，因为根本就不需要多此一举 添加 his, he didn't deny breaking the agreement 完全正确，比原题要精简地 道许多，从写作角度来看，his 根本是多余的，当然纯粹考察语法的话选 C。 52. Xinchun returned from abroad a different man. The italicized part fun ctions as a (n) _______. A. appositive (同位语) B. object C. adverbial D. complement. 解析： 此题恐怕是最受争议的题目了， 有人认为选 A， 有人认为选 D。 根据 English Grammar: A University Course 一书，“The Subject Complement (主语补足 语) is the obligatory constituent which follows a copular verb(系动词) and which cannot be made subject in a passive clause: 比如 Who’s there? It’s me/It’s I. She became a tennis champion at a very early age. Feel free to ask questions!” 一般语法书也是这么说的， 有的书上把这种情况下接的名词叫 做 predicate noun/nominative,接的形容词叫做 predicate adjective。该书接 着说“As well as be and seem, a wide range of verbs can be used to link the subject to its Complement; these add meanings of transition (become, get, go, grow, turn) and of perception (sound, smell, look)
among others,” 比如 I know it sounds stupid. The situation becomes even worse. 这些一般语法书也会提到，但是题目里的都不是这种现象，很多 语法书对主语补语的介绍也就到此为止。好在这本书多介绍了一点，但情况很 微妙。此书又说 More problematic is the constituent following other verbs that could be used intransitively with the same meaning, as in: Saint Ethelbert was born a Saxon princess. (she was born) He returned a broken man. (he returned) He died young. (he died) We shall consider such constituents as Complements on the strength of the possible paraphrase containing be (When he returned he was a broken man; When he died he was young). 这部分恰好就是本题所代表的类型，但是从该书作者表述来看，他们也承认这 样的句子很不一般，不太容易轻易判定是否为主语补语，在本书里，作者认为 可以看作是主语补语，因为大概可以改写成含有系动词 be 的句子，但作者的措 辞显然没有那么肯定，有待商榷的意思。据此，本题可以选 D，是主语补足语。 53. Which of the following is a compound word (复合词)? A. Nonsmoker B. Deadline C. Meanness D. Misfit 解析：首先要知道什么是复合词。A compound is a word that consists of more than one free morpheme。所谓 morpheme 词素是最小的音义结合体， 其最大的特点是不能再被分割为更小的音义结合体。而 free morpheme 是指能 独立存在使用的词素，bound morpheme 则是必须依附于其他单位的词素，比 如前缀后缀属于 bound morpheme，如 pre-，-ment，在单词 shipment 里， ship 就是 free morpheme， -ment 则是 bound。 因此四个选项里只有 deadline 是 由 两 个 free morpheme 构 成 （ dead + line ） 其 他 三 个 都 有 Bound ， morpheme 比如 non, ness, mis-等。 54. Which of the following sentences contains subjunctive mood? A. Lucy insisted that her son get home before 5 o'clock. B. She used to drive to work, but now she takes the city metro. C. Walk straight ahead, and don't turn till the second traffic lights. D. Paul will cancel his flight if he cannot get his visa by Friday. 解析: subjunctive mood 是指虚拟语气，四个选项里只有 A 的 insist 属于虚拟 语气用法，其中 that 从句里省略了 should。 55. The following determiners(限定词) can be used with both plural and uncountable nouns EXCEPT __________. A. more B. enough C. many D. such 解析：限定词的用法是近几年专四的热门考点，诸如 some，many，both，all， each 等用法究竟如何还是希望大家多翻阅语法书和词典。 这道题看似有点难度， 也许你从来不知道哪个限定词可以接名词复数和不可数名词，但好在备选项里 每个单词你都可以去接名词试试就知道了，比如 more money, more trees; enough money, enough trees; many money?, many trees; such big trees, such behavior.所以选 C。
56. 解析：首先要明白 and 不一定表示并列。A，C 里的 and 表示先后；D 里 的 and 表示递进；只有 B 里的 and 表示对比。 56. Which of the italicized parts indicates CONTRAST? A. She opened the door and quietly went in. B. Victoria likes music and Sam is fond of sports. C. Think it over again and you'll get an answer. D. He is somewhat arrogant, and I don't like this. 57. Which of the following CANNOT be used as a nominal substitute(名 词替代词)? A. Much B. Neither C. One D. Quarter 解析：估计不少学生看到名词替代词这个术语，一开始都吓着了，因为压根没 听说过，不过对做这道题目倒无大碍，所谓名词替代词顾名思义就是指能代替 名词或名词短语，避免重复的词，英语里 one, ones,(the)same 等都是常见的。 比如 There are good films as well as bad ones.除此以外还有 the kind, the sort，比如 Slang disappears quickly, especially the juvenile sort.还有一些 不定代词等比如 all, both, some, any enough, several, none, many, much, (a) few, (a) little, the other, others, another, either, neither 等， 比如 Can you get me some nails? I need some. I don’t want any more food. I’ve had enough. 本题选 D, quarter 不是名词替代词。 58. All the following sentences definitely indicate future time EXCEPT __. A. Mother is to have tea with Aunt Betty at four. B. The President is coming to the UN next week, C. The school pupils will be home by now. D. He is going to email me the necessary information. 解析：这道题目有点意思，既考查时态，又考查 will 的用法，A/B/D 都是将来 时的各种表达，唯独 C 的 will，看似是将来时标志，其实不然，因为和 by now 矛盾，这里 will 的用法是指 you think something is true，表说话人自己的看 法，比如 That will be Tim coming home now; Ask anyone and they will tell you the same thing. 本题选 C。 59. Which of the following sentences is grammatically INCORRECT? A. Politics are the art or science of government. B. Ten miles seems like a long walk to me. C. Mumps is a kind of infectious disease. D. All the furniture has arrived undamaged. 解析：本题考查主谓一致（agreement/concord） 。ten miles 看作整体单数， mumps 腮腺炎这个单词就是以 s 结尾的，不可数名词；furniture 在英语里是 不可数名词；A 里的 politics 并不是指政治，而是指政治学(political science)， 是不可数名词，但这个用法主要是英式英语。此外，politics 表示政治可以看作 不可数名词，也可以看作复数，比如 Politics have always interested me. 本 题选 A。
60. Which of in the following phrases indicates a subject-predicate relatio nship? A. The arrival of the tourists B. The law of Newton C. The occupation of the island D. The plays of Oscar Wilde 解析：章振邦的书拿到手后果然发现了他的讲解，基本就是原句。第五版的 55 页，名词属格和 of-词组一节说：名词属格和 of-词组在意义和用法上有许多相 同之处，比如 the trunk of an elephant=an elephant's trunk，表示主谓关系 有 the arrival of the prime minister;表示动宾关系 the occupation of the Island;表来源 the law of Newton。因此据此本题选 A。但我要吐槽的是先不 说我手上其他参考书根本没有讲到，就这种主谓关系，动宾关系的说法我就不 太同意，因为所谓词组的主谓关系和动宾关系是汉语语法里的说法，英语里说 主谓自然指的是句子，一个名词短语何来主谓之说？ 61. Which of the following italicized parts serves as an appositive? A. He is not the man to draw back. B. Tony hit back the urge to tell a lie. C. Larry has a large family to support. D. There is really nothing to fear. 解析：又是同位语？！四个选项的用法在大部分语法书里并没有做进一步区分， 都成为不定式的定语用法，修饰名词。不过章振邦的书里又出现了这个，又是 原句作为选项出现，章指出不定式作为名词的后置修饰语时，不定式和名词之 间的搭配关系是主谓 A 中的 the man draw back，也可以是 C 和 D 的动宾 to fear nothing, to support family；有时候也是同为关系,比如 urge(冲动)的内容 就是指 to tell a lie 撒谎，故为同位语。我不得不吐槽，章很喜欢分析任何语法 单位的结构，他在教师用书的第一部分也说本书语法体系是要贯彻层次分析法。 62. Which of the following is NOT an imperative sentence? A. Let me drive you home, shall I? B. You will mind your own business. C. Come and have dinner with us. D. I wish you could stay behind. 解析：花了点时间翻遍手头各类语法和用法图书，除了直接用动词打头， Do/Don't， You/其他唤名+动词, let 类型外， 均没有见到 D 的 wish 类型。 说明： 似乎只有章振邦的书上在情态动词 will 一节提到 B 的属于加强祈使句。我个人 对此表示质疑。更常见的应该是 You mind your own business。如果说 You will mind your own business 是祈使句，那么 You will see him now 岂不是 也是祈使句？这显然说不通。其实 You will mind your own business 要有祈 使句功能，还跟语气语调有很大关系，应该念成 You WILL mind your own business! 而不是 YOU will mind your own business. 出题人不严谨，死扣 语法书，可见一斑。 63. If it _______ tomorrow, the match would be put off. A. were to rain B. was to rain C. was raining D. had rained 解析：最经典的 If 条件虚拟句，说的是将来，应该选 A.
64. Which of the following sentences expresses a fact? A. Mary and her son must be home by now. B. Careless reading must give poor results. C. It’s getting late, and I must leave now. D. He must be working late at the office. 解析：目前来看又要有争议。很多人认为是 B，而我之前说 C，尽管 C 里的 mu st 是表示主观必须（C 只有前半句是 fact，后半句谈不上什么事实） 。问题在于 如何理解 B 的 must。在 English Grammar: A University Course 一书里有 一节谈到 must 的 logical necessity 用法问题，作者说在英式英语里有用 mu st 表示逻辑上的必定如此，尽管美国人更喜欢用 have to。比如 If Jane is P at's sister and Jill is Jane's daughter, Pat must be Jill's aunt.此时 Pa t must be Jill's aunt 就相当于不用情态动词的陈述句 Pat is Jill's aunt.如 此极端的例子才能说明这是逻辑上的必然，但我实在看不出选项 B 里一个没有 语境的句子是如何有逻辑上的必然，我个人觉得 Careless reading must giv e poor results.和 Careless reading gives poor results.还是不一样的。B 句是章振邦那本书里的原句，章自己也说“用 must 表示必然，也是一种推测或 推断，其口气最为肯定，一般用于肯定陈述句”由此来看，再如何肯定那也是一 种推断，不是 fact。 65. The following are all dynamic verbs(动态动词) EXCEPT __________. A. remain B. turn C. write D. knock 解析：看到专四考这个题目，我只能呵呵。动态动词是指能够延续持续动作的， 比如 hit，run 等，相反的则是 Stative Verb 静态动词，比如 know.现在进行时 是常见检验手段。你不能说 I am knowing the answer，只能说 I know the answer，因此 know 是静态动词。同理，题目的 A 选项 remain 也是静态动词， 其他都是动态动词。
66. __________ to school life was less difficult than the pupil had expected. A. Adhering B. Adopting C. Adjusting D. Acquainting 解析：这题没啥好说的，适应学校生活 adjust to school life，选 C。 67. He is fed up with the same old dreary routine, and wants to quit his job. The underlined part means __________. A. dull B. boring C. long D. hard 解析： dreary 指 dull，选 A。但有词典指出 boring 也是近义词，外教也表示 AB 均可。所以 B 也是对的，我估计出题人是选 A。 68. At last night’s party Larry said something that I though was beyond me. The underlined part means __________. A. I was unable to do B. I couldn’t understand C. I was unable to stop D. I couldn’t tolerate 解 析 ： be beyond somebody 指 to be too difficult for someone to understand.故选 B。
69. The couple __________their old house and sold it for a vast profit. A. did for B. did in C. did with D. did up 解析：选 D。do up 这里指 to repair an old building or car, or to improve its appearance。 此外 do up 还可以指 fasten something， 比如 Do your laces up before you trip over. 70. Sally contributed a lot to the project, but she never once accepted all the __________ for herself. A. credit B. attention C. focus D. award 解析： A。 选 这里的 credit 指 approval or praise that you give to someone for something they have done.常见搭配有 give credit; take/claim/deserve credit。 71. The child nodded, apparently content with his mother’s promise. The underlined part means __________. A. as far as one has learnt B. as far as one is concerned C. as far as one can see D. as far as one is told 解析： 首先 ABCD 的释义都是指 apparently 的意思， 具体语境有具体不同的释 义，在我们这个句子里，指 according to the way someone looks or a situation appears, although you cannot be sure. 因此选 C。换一个句子比 如 I wasn’t there, but apparently the thief got away.这里的 apparently 就指 A 或 D。 72. The __________ that sport builds character is well accepted by people nowadays. A. issue B. argument C. point D. sentence 解析：选 B。这里的 argument 指 a set of reasons that show something is true or untrue, right or wrong。相当于汉语说的主张论点。 很多人选 C， point 的确有这个意思，也可以接同位语从句，搭配上习惯是说 take the/sb’s point. 不过，我询问过外教，他是觉得 argument 更好，只是 point 也没什么不对。 73. Everyone in the office knows that Melinda takes infinite care over her work. The underlined part means __________. A. limited B. unnecessary C. overdue D. much 解析：infinite 是 finite 的反义词，这里指 very great/huge in amount or degree，因此选 D。 74. The new measure will reduce the chance of serious injury in the event of an accident. The underlined part means __________. A. if an accident happens B. if an accident can be prevented C. before an accident D. during an accident 解析： 选 A。in the event of something is used to tell people what they should do if something happens. 75. Traditionally, local midwives would __________ all the babies in the area. A. handle B. produce C. deliver D. help 解析：midwife 是指产婆，接生员。所以选 C，deliver 可以指接生(孩子)，或 者生孩子。 76. No food or drink is allowed on the premises. The underlined part means __________.
A. proposition B. advertisement C. building D. string 解析：选 C。以复数形式出现的 premises 指 the buildings and land that a shop, restaurant, company etc uses. 77. The court would not accept his appeal unless __________ evidence is provided. A. conclusive B. definite C. eventual D. concluding 解析：选 A。首先 appeal 是指上诉。Conclusive 指 showing something is definitely true ， 比 如 conclusive proof/evidence/findings 。 旁 证 是 circumstantial evidence. 78. As soon as he opened the door, a __________ of cold air swept through the house. A. flow B. movement C. rush D. blast 解析：个人认为选 D。又见量化问题，一阵/股冷风袭来该如何用英语说。首先 句子里动词用了 sweep，指 to move suddenly and/or with force over an area or in a particular direction.而 blast 指 a sudden strong movement of air。但问题在于 C。词典里 rush 其实可以指 a sudden fast movement of air, 外教的回答是 blast is better here and is what native speakers would prefer. 而 Flow 往往接的是水流电流等，而且指 a smooth and steady movement. 79. She really wanted to say something at the meeting, but eventually __________ from it. A. prevented B. refrained C. limited D. restricted 解析：refrain from sth/doing sth 指 to not do something you want to do， 主要用于书面语。 80. The couple told the decorator that they wanted their bedroom gaily painted. The underlined part means __________. A. brightly B. light-heartedly C. cheerfully D. lightly 解析：先聊聊 gaily 这个单词的来源吧。这个单词虽然是 ly 结尾却是形容词， 是有 gay + ly 变来的。而 gay 在很早的时候是指人 happy, merry, cheerful， 或者颜色 bright, attractive，这个用法现代英语已经抛弃，请大家不要乱用。 所谓 gaily painted/colored/decorated 指 having bright cheerful colors.所以 选 A。
【2013 年英语专四真题及答案解析--完形填空原文（真题暂 缺，加粗部分为原空）】
Everyone knows that taxation is necessary in a modern state: Without it, it would not be possible to pay the soldiers and policemen who protect us；nor the workers in government offices who look after our health, our food, our water, and all the other things that we cannot do for ourselves；nor the ministers and members of parliament(国会) who govern the country for us. By means of taxation, we pay for things that we need just as much as we need somewhere to live and something to eat. But everyone knows that taxation is necessary, different people have
different ideas about how taxation should be arranged. Should each person have to pay a certain amount of money to the government each year? Or should there be tax on things that people buy and sell? If the first kind of taxation is used, should everyone pay the same tax, whether he is rich or poor? If the second kind of tax is preferred, should everything be taxed equally? In most countries, a direct tax on persons, which is called income tax, exists. It is arranged in such a way that the poorest people pay nothing, and the percentage of tax grows greater as the taxpayer’s income grows. In England, for example, the tax on the richest people goes up as high as ninety-five percent! But countries with direct taxation nearly always have indirect taxation too. Many things imported into the country have to pay taxes or "duties". Of course, it is the men and women who buy these imported things in the shops who really have to pay the duties, in the form of higher prices. In some countries, too, there is a tax on things sold in the shops. If the most necessary things are taxed, a lot of money is collected, but the poor people suffer most. If unnecessary things like jewels and fur coats are taxed, less money is got but the tax is fairer, as the rich pay it. Probably this last kind of indirect tax, together with a direct tax on incomes which is low for the poor and high for the rich, is the best arrangement.
SECTION A COMPOSITION Most of us, as students, are careful with our money in daily life: we collect all kinds of coupons(优惠券); we look for group-buy deals if we eat out or travel; we don't buy clothes unless in a sale. However, some people think that all this may not make us smart consumers. What is your opinion? Write on ANSWER SHEET THREE a composition of about 200 words.
You are to write in three parts. In the first part, state specifically what your view is. In the second part, provide one or two reasons or your experience(s) to support your opinion. In the last part, bring what you have written to a natural conclusion or a summary. You should supply an appropriate tittle for your composition.
Marks will be awarded for content, organization, grammar and appropriateness. Failure to follow the instructions may result in a loss of marks. SECTION B NOTE-WRITING Write on ANSWER SHEET THREE a note of about 50—60 words based on the following situation: Your former high-school classmate (Mathew or Grace) is coming to visit you in the dorm. But, you have got something urgent to do and thus cannot wait for him/her there. Leave a note on the door, expressing your apology and telling him/her how to find you. You must make clear where you are in the note. Marks will be awarded for content, organization, grammar and appropriateness. 【参考范文】 SECTION A The advantages of being careful with money in daily life Nowadays, there is a hot debate on whether people, including students should be careful with their money in their daily life since they try their best to save money. Some people think it is not good to do so because this may not make people smart consumers. But in my eyes, the advantages of being careful with money in daily life outweigh the disadvantages. First, being careful with money is a virtue that can always benefit people. Being thrifty is of great help, especially when the economic status around the world is not very good and it becomes harder to earn money than before. A good habit of being careful with money will help many people go through this difficult period or any other difficult financial situation in their life. People with this awareness will think carefully before deciding to buy anything. For students, this awareness is also of great help since they mainly depend on their parents for financial supports. When they keep this awareness in their mind, they will definitely avoid wasting money. Secondly, being careful with money is, in fact, a good way of practicing how to manage one's money. In current society, it is necessary to learn something about finance. But theories are usually hard to learn. In contrast, most people can learn quickly by practicing. Being careful with money means an efficient use of money, which, in essence, equals to part of the job of a financial planner. Being careful with money can teach people to make best use of their money. It is true that being too careful with money may have some disadvantages; for example, it may cause people to ignore other aspects of commodities. But overall this behavior is good and has its reality basis. Money-consciousness is
always needed in the market-oriented economy. SECTION B April 20,2013 Dear Mathew, I'm writing to show my apology for being unable to wait for you in my dorm. I'm really sorry but I have something urgent to do. You can come to Room 1003, No. 3 Teaching Building to find me. The map on the back of the note will help you. I'll wait for you there. Yours, Tom