Inventors and inventions
1. go through
Most families went through a lot in the war. (2) 通过, 成功, 成交 The plan did not go through. (3) 审阅, 检查 I can’t go though the letters in an hour. (4) 翻找, 查看 Mother went through the drawer for her glasses.
(5) 穿过, 通过 A terrible noise went through the house. read through 通读 look through 浏览 get through 通过, 接通,使….成功 search through 搜寻, 查找
2. do research on /into /in... 从事, 进行, 做研究 They are carrying out a research into the causes of cancer. research可作可数名词和不可数名词,
3. Call 短语 高考真题 ---Can I do the job? ---I’m afraid not, because it ___ skill and patience. A. calls on B. calls out C. calls up D. calls for
4. now and then 有时, 偶尔
I see them now and then, but not often.
单选： I used to call people ___, from
the moment I woke up to the time I went
to sleep. A. now and then C. at home B. all the time D. at work
from time to time (every) now and again occasionally at times once in a while
5. distinguish 辨别, 区别 distinguish…from =distinguish between … and … 把…...与…...加以分开 tell the difference between … and …= tell …from… 把......与......区分开 Children should be taught to distinguish right from wrong. 应当教育孩子分辨好坏。
distinguish oneself 显扬自己,使自己扬名 He’s distinguished himself as a teacher. 作为老师，他早已负有盛名。 The man distinguish himself by his wisdom. 这个人因智慧而扬名。
distinction n. 区别, 差异 distinctive adj. 有特色的, 与众不同的 distinct adj. 截然不同的 distinguishable adj. 区别得出的, 辨认得出的
6. seem的归纳总结 1)seem +to be +形容词/名词/介词短语 /分词 Something seemed to be wrong with him. You seemed to be in a great hurry. The first memories seemed to be connected with work.
2)seem 构成的句式: It seems that... It seems as if/ as though... There seems (to be )…. It seems that everyone was satisfied. It seems as if you are the first one here. There seems (to be) no reason for believing him.
seem 表示有某种根据的判断, 这种判断
好像”, 有时暗含“事实上并非如此”之 意。 look 强调视觉上的印象。 It appears a true story.
He looks a perfect fool.
Do let your mother know all the truth. She appears ____everything. (2001上海) A. to tell C. to be telling B. to be told D. to have been told
7. set about (doing) sth. 开始, 着手 The sooner we set about it , the sooner we’ll finish. set out to do sth.开始做某事 set out (for) 出发,启程 set off (for)=leave for出发, 动身 set aside 留出, 对…不予以考虑 set down 记下, 写下 set up 设置, 造成, 产生
On receiving the assignment, we___ at once. A. set to work B. set out to work C. get down to work D. all the above
8. habit: out of habit 出于习惯 be in the habit 有…...的习惯 break the habit 改掉…...的习惯 develop/form the habit of 养成…...习惯
的行为、风俗 practice 指惯例, 也指商业或者法律上 的常规做法。
8. when cooled 的构成：连词+过去分词,
相当于when 引导的状语从句: when it is
Don’t speak until ( you are ) spoken to.
When __ help, one often says “thank you”
or “ it’s kind of you”.
A. offering C. to be offered B. to offer D. offered
9. be convenient to It is convenient for sb. to do sth. It is convenient to do sth. Come and see me whenever ___. A. you are convenient
B. you will be convenient
C. it is convenient to you
D. it will be convenient to you