Unit 2 Robots
There are many types of robots and they can do different work. Can you name some of them?
Industrial robots 工业机器人
The robot which can play with children.
The robot which can play football.
The robot which can speak to people.
What is a robot? A robot is a machine designed to do jobs that are usually performed by humans.
play with people
What can robots do ? do homework
walk and dance
look for people
do unpleasant jobs
Characters in the story: Larry Belmont ---- employed in a company that makes robots Claire ---- Larry’s wife, a housewife Tony ---- the robot
Gladys Claffern ---- a woman that Claire envies
Read through the passage and then answer the following questions: 1.What is the text mainly about? 2.What did the robot called Tony look like?
3.Why did Larry put Tony into his family?
1. What is the text mainly about? It is mainly about how a robot used for housework was tested out in a family. 2. What did the robot called Tony look like? He looked like a tall and handsome man, speaking in a deep voice, with smooth black hair and his facial expression unchanged. 3.Why did Larry put Tony into his family? Because he wanted to test out how a robot used for housework in a family.
Choose the best answer:
1. Why did Claire feel alarmed at the sight of Tony? A. Because he was a robot. B. Because she didn't like him. C. Because he was more like a being than a machine. D. Because he never changed his facial expressions.
2. The robot Tony helped Claire to realize her dreams by______. A. making her home elegant B. giving her a new haircut and changing the make-up she wore C. giving her advice on her dresses D. all the above 3. As a result, the experiment shows_______. A. Claire and Tony fell in love with each other
B. Tony had to be rebuilt
C. Tony was angry with his designer D. Both A and B
4. All the following statements are true except _______. A. Tony tried to please Claire B. Claire tried to displease Tony
C. Tony managed to protect Claire
D. Gladys admired Claire for her Tony 5. We can infer from the passage that_____.
A. Claire liked Tony but feared him
B. Claire cried because Tony made her angry C. Claire forgot Tony as soon as Tony left her D. Tony had no feelings as human being.
Decide whether the following statements are true or false, and try to find the sentence in the story to support your answers: 1.Larry was going to be away from home so he hired a robot to accompany his wife Claire. F 2.Claire didn’t like the idea at the beginning, but she agreed to it at last. T 3. Tony could understand Claire when she said she was not clever. T
4. Tony was eager to help Claire. He scanned quite a lot of books in the library, but he could find no ways out. F 5.It was Claire that first decided to invite Gladys and her friends to her house. F 6.Claire’s guests were filled with admiration when they saw her house was completely changed. T 7.Claire was very happy to find that Gladys envied T her. 8. The company was satisfied with Tony’s report because he had successfully made a woman fall in love with him. F
Reading III- Detail reading
In groups, list Tony’s characteristics that were similar to those of a human being and different from those of a human being.
Characteris tics Similar Different
(1)Looks (1)Facial a human like__________ expressions_ Physical being _____. never change ___________. (2)_________ Quicker (2)Body and reactions warm skin are_____. ___________ (3)Hair and __ (She fell off a fingernails____ ladder and even though Tony was realistic _________. in the next room, (4)Voice he managed to a human’s like__________. catch her in time)
Similar Able to make suggestions ______________ and predictions. Able to make a plan ___________and follow it through. Has good communication ______________ skills
Behaviour not_______ appropriate ______ (Tony asked Claire whether she needed help dressing)
Character istics Emotional
Similar Can show sympathy __________ for Claire and can give encouragement ___________ to her.
Read the story again and answer the following questions in group. 1. Why did Tony open the curtains?
He wanted Claire’s guests to see
him and Claire together so that
she would be envied by the
2. What did Tony do to prevent Claire from being harmed? Tony prevented Claire from being harmed by making her feel good about herself. He helped her
make her and her home elegant
so that she would not feel like a
3. Why did Tony have to be rebuilt? Tony had to be rebuilt because the company felt that they could not have women falling in love with a
4. How would you feel if you had a
robot like Tony in your house? Students give their own answers .
5. Claire spent three weeks with Tony in her house. What sentences in the story show that she kept forgetting and then remembering that he was a machine? How absurd, she thought. He was just a machine. He held her family in his arms and she felt the
She screamed, pushed him away
and ran to her room for the rest of
Then she remembered-Tony was
just a machine. She shouted
“Leave me alone” and ran to her
Find how Claire’s emotion developed. At first refused to have Tony at her house →accept him → trust him → proud of him → love him → sad to remember he was just a machine
How did Claire feel? alarmed What happened?
tall and She saw Tony was ___ black handsome His hair was ______ ________. and _______and his voice was smooth _______. deep Tony asked whether she needed help dressing. fingernails and the By his _________ warmth his skin. softness and ________of ________
______________ happy, surprised, shy Tony caught her in time, held her
firmly in his arms .
Characteristics of science fiction
Science fiction is often based on scientific principles and technology. Science fiction may make
predictions about life in the future.
What are they?
Remember the characteristics of science fiction.
Surf the internet to learn more about robots and
science fiction. Surf the internet to learn about Isaac Asimov.