Book 5 Unit 3 Life in the future Period 3
Learning contents: Using Language Learning aims: ? ? Further talk about the life in the 31st century Learn some useful words and phrases and review the usage of past participle
Learning procedure: Step ? Reading Task 1: Read the passage and finish Ex.1 on page 23. Modern inventions of the 31st century Only to be seen on the Space Station Communication Inventions Advantages thoughtpad 1. 2. 2. 1. Waste disposal Manufacturing manufacturing robots 1. 2. 3.
Come and see how they work today! Task 2: Scan the text and then choose the best answer according to the text. 1．How do the space citizens send their messages? A．By using a typewriter. C．By using postcards. B．By using letters. D．By using a “thoughtpad”．
2． Which of the following shows the right order to use a “thoughtpad”？ a．Clear your mind. b．The message is sent.
c．Place the metal band over your head. d．Press the sending button. e．Think your message. A．a, c, b, e, d C．c, a, e, d, b B．c, a, d, e, b D．a, b, c, d, e
3．It can be inferred from the passage that in the 31st century ________. A．no rubbish will be produced B．the environment will become better C．there will be no desert D．people can use plastic bags without limits 4．Who will take the place of the workers in the 31st century? A．The robots. C．The spacemen. Step Π B．The managers. D．The spaceships.
Read the text and find out the following phrases and sentences.
I.Phrases: 最新发明 带人参观 环保的 丢弃，处理掉 贪婪，渴求 执行任务
II. Sentences: 1. My first visit was to a space station considered the most modern in space. 我首先参观的是一个被认为是太空中最现代化的太空站。 2. Described as an enormous round plate, it spins slowly in space to imitate the pull of the earth’s gravity. 太空站像一个巨大的圆盘，在太空中慢慢地旋转，以仿照出地球重心的引力。 3. Messages can now be sent using a ‘ thoughtpad’.
现在用一种“思想仪”就可以传递信息。 4. Now there’s a system where the waste is disposed of using the principles of ecology. 现在有了一种能利用生态原理处理废弃物的装置。 5. A giant machine, always greedy for more, swallows all the waste available. 一架巨大的机器，能把所有能获得的废弃物都吞进去，而且总是贪得无厌。 6. I stared at the moving model of the waste machine, absorbed by its efficiency. 我注视着移动的垃圾分解机器的模型，为它的成效所吸引。
Step III language points 1. instant （adj./n.） instantly （adv./conj.）
in an instant 立即;马上
for an instant 一会儿
1) This kind of instant noodles is ready to eat immediately after being opened without cooking. （即食的，速溶的 instant coffee 速溶咖啡) ( 即刻的，立即的 )
2) Greatly to our delight, the show was an instant success.
3) The instant/Instantly you turn it on, you’ll get boiled water from our instant boiled water tap. ( 一 …就 )
4) An instant later the explosion occurred, which shocked and frightened everyone present. ( 瞬间，片刻 ) ( 立即地，马上)
5) According to the witness, all four victims died instantly.
完成句子：He was spotted by the police _______________________________ at the airport. 他一出现在机场，就被警察发现了。 2. swallow （n. /vt.） ( 燕子) )
n. 1)As the saying goes, one swallow does not make a summer. 2)She took a swallow of coffee, feeling relaxed. (
Vt. 1)To keep fit, you should chew food well before swallowing it. ( 吞，咽 ) 2)I watched her walk down the road until she was swallowed (up) by the darkness. ( 吞没，淹没 ) 3)He had to swallow his grief and work in the shop as usual. ( 不流露， 抑制情感)
4)He is naive(天真) and will swallow anything you tell her. (轻信，信以为真 )
3. consider v 1)I consider him to be strong-minded. 2)He is considered to have stolen the money. 3)We consider Mr Zhang as our friend. 4) I’m considering applying for the job. 5) John did quite well in his exams, considering how little he studied Fill in the blanks. ①Many things ______________(consider) impossible in the past are common today. ②And in modern day consumer society everyone is considered ______________ (be)middle class. ③They are considering ______________ (go) swimming this afternoon. ④Bell is considered ______________ (invent)the telephone. 4. Inside was an exhibition of most up-to-date inventions of the 31st century. 表方位的副词或介词短语，如 here, there, up, down, in , away, out, off, in the room, on the wall 等，副词 now, then, 代词 such 等置于句首，且主语是名词时， 用完全倒装。要注意谓语的数与后面的主语在人称和数上保持一致。 Out rushed the children. 完全倒装句式中，主语为名词，该句式还常用于地点状语从句和定语从句中。 ① In front of the house is sitting a boy. ② Out rushed an angry man. ③ In this box are some small cards. ④ Out rush the students instantly the bell for a break rings. Step IV Homework. Write an e-mail to his parents about the visit to a school in 3008 instead of Li Qiang by using your imagination. Useful expressions: catch sight of flash a switch… rise from under… as if by magic