注意事项： 本试卷分第一卷（选择题）和第二卷（非选择题）两部分。第一卷 1 至 12 页。第二卷 13 至 16 页。满分 150 分，考试时间 120 分钟。第一卷答案必须涂在答题卡上，第二卷直接 在原题上作答。考试结束，只交第二卷和答题卡。 第一卷（三部分，共 105 分） 第一部分：听力（共两节，满分 30 分） 做题时，先将答案划在试卷上。录音内容结束后，你将有两分钟的时间将试卷上的答案 转涂答题卡上。 第一节（共 5 小题；每小题 1.5 分，共 7.5 分） 听下面 5 段对话。每段对话后有一个小题，从题中所给的 A、B、C 三个选项中选出最 佳选项，并标在试卷的相应位置。听完每段对话后，你都有 10 秒钟的时间来回答有关小题 和阅读下一小题。每段对话仅读一遍。 1. Why does the man want to move to New York? A. He doesn’t like to live in the small town. B. He likes the way of life in a big city. C. He wants to find a job there. 2. How was the climate where the old couple lived? A. It was very rainy. B. It was very snowy. C. It was very warm. 3. What did the woman think about the film? A. On a whole, she liked the film. B. The film was very interesting. C. The film wasn’t as good as she’d expected. 4. What does the woman mean? A. She would really like some tea. B. She’ll bring some tea to the doctor. C. Her doctor told her not to drink tea. 5. What does the man mean? A. He doesn’t like Japanese food. B. He doesn’t want to eat out. C. He wants to pay.
第二节（共 15 小题；每小题 1.5 分，满分 22.5 分） 听下面 5 段对话或独白。每段对话或独白后有几个小题，从题中所给的 A、B、C 三个 选项中选出最佳选项，并标在试卷的相应位置。听每段对话或独白钱，你将有时间阅读各个 小题，每小题 5 秒钟；听完后，各小题将给出 5 秒钟的作答时间。每段对话或独白读两遍。 听下面一段对话，回答第 6 和第 7 两个小题。 6. What is the man in the conversation? A. A policeman. B. Alice’s husband. C. Alice’s neighbor.
7. When did the woman find their house broken into? A. At nine last night. B. At around 11 last night. C. At seven yesterday evening. 听下面一段对话，回答第 8 至第 10 三个小题。 8. Who is the girl? A. Tom’s sister. 9. Who will give the talk? A. A teacher. 10. Where will the talk be given? A. In the reading room. B. In the big hall. C. In the meeting room. 听下面一段对话，回答第 11 至第 13 三个小题。 11. Who wants to book a room? A. The woman. B. John Smith. C. John Davis. B. A professor. C. A doctor. B. Tom’s friend. C. Tom’s classmate.
12. What kind of room does the man want to book? A. A single room with bathroom. B. A single room without bathroom. C. A double room with bathroom. 13. How long will the man stay in the hotel? A. Three nights. B. Four nights. C. Five nights.
听下面一段对话，回答 14 至 17 四个小题。 14. What did the Browns think of their trip to Venesuela? A. Good. B. Tiring. C. Expensive.
15. What weren’t the Browns fully satisfied with? A. Hotels. B. local language. C. Weather.
16. What is not worth buying in Venesuela? A. Gold. B. Jewelry. C. Clothing.
17. What can we learn from the dialogue? A. The talkers are not likely to go on a trip to Venesuela. B. The talkers are planning a trip to Venesuela. C. The talkers find the information from the Browns very disappointing. 听下面一段独白，回答第 18 至 20 三个小题。 18. What is the aim of the program? A. To keep trainees in shape. B. To improve public relations. C. To develop leadership skills. 19. Which of the following will the trainees be doing during the program? A. Attending lectures on management. B. Preparing reports for the company. C. Making plans for a journey. 20. If people want to join the program, what should they do after the meeting? A. Take a pre-test. B. Pay for the program. C. Sign on a piece of paper.
第二部分：英语知识运用（共两节，满分 35 分） 第一节 语法和词汇知识（共 15 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 15 分） 从 A、B、C、D 四个选项中，选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项，并在答题卡上将该项 涂黑。 21. All these changes will lead to ________ strong and powerful China, ________country that can surprise and enrich our planet. A. a; a B. the; a C. the; the D. a; the
22. We have really got something ________ common ________ some of the developing countries. A. in; for B. for; with C. in; with D. in; to
23. The engine of the ship was out of order and the bad weather ________ the helplessness of the people at sea. A. resulted from B. turned out C. made up D. added to
24. Good ways of doing things mean saving time, and ________ it’s necessary for us to
find them. A. otherwise B. however C. still D. therefore
25. The Chinese ________ their language as Han, which is often called ―Mandarin‖ in the west. A. refer to B. come to C. belong to D. introduce to
26. —You shouldn’t have played such a joke on him. —Sorry, I ________ that he would get so angry. A. don’t expect B. hasn’t expected C. didn’t expect D. hadn’t expected
27. You can’t imagine the difficulty I ________ the house. A. had bought B. have bought C. had buying D. have to buy
28. Time is life; therefore, waste your time and waste your life, ________ master your time and master your life. A. and B. for C. so D. or
29. ________ told to stop, the exited children kept on talking in class, so I got angry. A. If B. When C. While D. Though
30. His works ________ into many kinds of languages. A. has been translated C. translates B. have been translated D. translate
31. He has been preparing carefully for the test so that she could pass it at his first ________. A. purpose B. desire C. attempt D. intention
32. Of all the books on the desk, ________ is of any use for our study. A. nothing B. no one C. neither D. none
33. —Use my umbrella to ________ yourself from the rain, will you? —That’s very kind of you. A. prevent B. protect C. rescue D. keep
34. Margaret likes all her subjects, but she likes English ________. A. above all B. after all C. in particular D. in general
35. Next winter, ________ you’ll spend in Hainan, I’m sure, will be exciting holiday. A. which B. when C. what D. where
第二节 完形填空（共 20 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 20 分）
阅读下面短文，掌握其大意，然后从 36-55 各题所给的四个选项（A、B、C 和 D）中， 选出最佳选项，并在答题卡上将该项涂黑。 There were two men both decided to get a horse. One man found a red horse 36 much spirit. The other 37 one more docile(驯服的). They would go riding together every day. It so happened on the 38 they would take around the countryside, there was a ditch about eight or nine feet wide, after a time it was coming up to this he was quick to 39 that the red horse’s spirit could not be shaken. When
40 in this trail he hurled(跳过) in the first time. Because of the spirit in him 41 and jumped it with no problem. Yet the more docile horse would stop every
time he came to the edge. He wasn’t 42 of the distance; he would stand on the edge 43 with indecision and doubt because the 44 to him looked too great. Then one day after a while,
coming up to the ditch and 45 his companion take it with case, something happened within him, a knowing was 46 that he could too. So he hurled over the ditch 47 and gracefully. Life is much like the two horses. When we as people come up think that the distance is too big and we don’t know if we will 49 edge, trembling. It’s not until we 50 48 trials or situations we it, we stop, standing on the
the spirit within. Then we are able to make it with ease. 52 seem too big
Until we quit looking at the obstacle(障碍) or trial 51 our eyes, they will for us. But there is a spirit within us that can the 54 to make it through. It all comes to a choice whether we 36. A. with 37. A. sold 38. A. market 39. A. strange 40. A. gap 41. A. struggle 42. A. curious 43. A. trembling 44. A. height 45. A. noticing 46. A. born B. from B. caught B. symbol B. important B. hole B. recover B. sure B. fighting B. length B. looking B. lost
53 the distance to the other side and will give us
55 the spirit within or just stand on the edge and stop. C. through C. chose C. route C. available C. edge C. respond C. afraid C. relaxing C. distance C. seeing C. invented D. over D. refused D. spot D. clear D. signal D. protest D. concerned D. exciting D. standard D. watching D. offered
47. A. toughly 48. A. from 49. A. reach 50. A. put up 51. A. through 52. A. seldom 53. A. judge 54. A. power 55. A. look up
B. easily B. at B. make B. bring up B. to B. always B. decide B. guide B. look at
C. sadly C. with C. control C. depend on C. at C. never C. reserve C. strength C. look out
D. excitedly D. against D. solve D. feed on D. over D. sometimes D. extend D. attempt D. look for
第三部分 阅读理解（共 20 小题；每小题 2 分，满分 40 分） 阅读下列短文，从每题所给的四个选项（A、B、C 和 D）中，选出最佳选项，并在答 题卡上将该项涂黑。 A BEIJING, Oct. 8(Xinhua)— — There are ten times as many Chinese newspapers and magazines than there were 30 years ago. That’s when the country adopted the reform and opening-up policy. Figures from the General Administration of Press and Publication (GAPP)show there were 186 newspapers and 930 magazines in China in 1978. Today, the country has 2,081 newspapers and 9,363 different magazines. In the meantime, official figures show China has some 600 publishing houses producing nearly 300,000 kinds of books. That’s a dramatic increase from the 105 publishers of the past that produced only 10,000 different books. Rapid economic development and universal education since China adopted the reform has helped fuel the need for more information sources. Under the market economy, hundreds of publishing houses and newspapers have taken steps to restructure management systems into corporations listed on the stock market. The legal system overseeing the news and publishing industries in China has also changed over the last three decades. Since 1990 a law and five relevant(相关) regulations were adopted in 1990 to govern the sectors. Since it started in 1993, digital publishing has flourished. Its industrial volume amounted to 20 billion yuan (2.93 billion U.S. dollars) in 2006. More than 500,000 kinds of digital books were
produced last year alone in China, which is more that any other country in the world. 56. Which of the following would be the best title for the text? A. Digital books take the place of common ones in China. B. China has more newspapers and magazines. C. More information sources are developing with the economic. D. A law should be adopted to govern the publishing industries. 57. There are ten times as many newspapers and magazines because ________. A. the publishing houses want to make more money. B. there are more readers along with the bigger population. C. economic and education have developed under the policy. D. the legal system overseeing the publishing industries has changed. 58. Which is true according to this text? A. The development of publishing industry in the past was out of control. B. Hundreds of publishing houses have closed down and turned to stock market. C. China adopted the reform and opening-up policy about 20 years ago. D. China produces more digital books than any other country. 59. The underlined word ―flourished‖ in Paragraph 7 probably means ________. A. first appeared C. well developed B. fell down D. successfully ended
60. You will probably read this text in the ________ column of XINHUA NET? A. culture and education C. science and technology B. entertainment D. business B Amsterdam-Netherlands Amsterdam, a city more than seven hundred years old, is known for its historical attractions, for its collections of great Renaissance(文艺复兴) art, its colors, tulips(郁金香), and windmills. The romantic image of Amsterdam is painted by the old town buildings, street like water canals running through the city, the beautiful flower parks and the Eastern restaurants. Anyone visiting Amsterdam will not be disappointed by what this excellent city has to offer. Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
Rio de Janeiro is one of the most lively cities in the world. It is located on the coast of Atlantic Ocean, and is well known for its wonderful natural setting, its carnival celebrations, samba, hotel-lined tourist beaches and pavements decorated with black and cream pattern mosaics(镶嵌). The city is famous for the annual carnival, night and day music, singing, balls and street parades of brilliantly-costumed dancers performing samba rhythms. If you are planning an active romantic adventure, Rio de Janeiro is the right place to be. London-the United Kingdom With its historical background, London is one of the most romantic cities in the world. Its little old town streets, parks on every corner, and old buildings are ideal for romantic walks. It is a multicultural city, so you will not face a problem as to how to choose a place to go. Take a ride in a millennium Dome(千禧穹顶) and take her into a quiet restaurant in the old town with a candle light dinner. You are all set for the best date in your life! Paris-France Also known as the Capital of love, Paris is considered to be the most romantic city in the world. For many people this is the ideal description of Paris with its world famous places: The louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral, Are de Triumphe, Montmartre and many others. It’s a great city which you must have seen at least once. Don’t miss all the great attractions and romantic places the Capital of Love has to offer! 61. ________ can be regarded as a symbol of Netherlands?
A. Tower Bridge C. Samba
B. Eiffel Tower D. Windmill
62. You will probably go to ________ if you’re interested in varieties of culture.
A. Netherlands C. the United Kingdom
B. Brazil D. France
63. Since you are planning an active romantic adventure, ________ is the better choice. A. Amsterdam B. Rio de Janeiro C. London D. Paris
64. The underlined sentence probably means ________. A. it is a great city worth seeing again and learning more. B. this is surely the second time that you have been here C. you must have visited this city ever before D. you are asked to visit this city once more by law 65. By this passage the writer wants to show us ________. A. that France is in fact the most romantic city B. some attractive and romantic cities worth a visit C. that these countries are more multicultural D. some better developing countries in tourism C During fall football season, most parents and coaches focus on the safety of the players. But there’s growing evidence that they should turn their attention to the sidelines. The Washington Post offers a report on the many risks associated with cheerleading, which by some accounts has appeared as the riskiest of women’s sports, ‖leaving a lot of sprained(扭伤) wrists, twisted ankles, damaged knees, strained backs-and sometimes much worse,‖ The Post reports. ―It’s getting crazy, and kids are left dying,‖ said Ruth Burns of Malden, Mass., whose 14-year –old daughter Ashley Marie died in 2005 when she landed stomach-down following an airborne spin(空中旋转) while practicing with her high school cheerleading team. ―Most parents have no idea. They just suppose that it’s safe.‖ This summer the National Center for Catastrophic(灾难) Sport Injury Research reported that cheerleading accounted for two-thirds of all catastrophic injuries among female high school and college athletes. The group has documented 93 incidents resulting in death, head injury or permanent disability between 1982 and 2007. While it’s a small number, it translates to a rate of2.68 catastrophic injuries for every 100,000 female high school cheerleaders, which is beyond
the rate for many other high school sports. Cheerleading supporters say the study underestimates cheerleading participation by at least half, making the catastrophic accident rate appear far higher than it really is. ―His numbers are not correct,‖ Susan Loomis, cheerleading director for the National Federation of State High School Associations, told the paper. ―Cheerleading has become much, much safer in the last 15 or 20 years.‖ But other studies suggest that it hasn’t. The Consumer Product Safety Commission, for instance, reported that the number of emergency room visits to treat cheerleading injuries of any kind jumped from 4,954 in 1980 to 28,414 in 2004. The medical journal Pediatrics also posted similar concerns about cheerleading injuries. 66. In paragraph 1. we can learn a fact that that ________. A. coaches focus not only on players but also audience B. players are easily injured during a football season C. cheerleading is more competitive than the football match itself D. more attention will be turned to other sports besides football 67. Which of the following is true about cheerleading? A. cheerleading is no doubt the riskiest of all sports. B. most people don’t really know the risk of cheerleading. C. cheerleading can result in many injuries but no deaths. D. parents have the duty to protect their daughter during practice. 68. It can be inferred that ________. A. cheerleading is more dangerous than any other sport B. no organizations support cheerleading C. more high school females are joining in cheerleading D. cheerleading will be strictly forbidden by law
69. The writer wants to ________. A. warn people to keep away from cheerleading B. tell cheerleaders how to protect themselves in performance C. encourage more high school females to join in cheerleading
D. bring more attention to the safety of cheerleading 70. The best title for this passage would probably be ________. A. Injury risk for girls not much to cheer about B. Popular cheerleading attractive to more girls C. Serious injuries by cheerleading in high schools D. Exciting encouragement from Cheerleading D There are millions of used cell phones in the world today, the most of them just lay in our houses without any purpose. Everyday dozens of new cell phone models appeared. Today, you can find what was regarded as a fantasy yesterday in a store and you will buy it tomorrow. But what to do with the old phones, which work well enough and not so old? Just get some money! Simply Sellular is buying almost all models of cell phones: LG, Motorola, HP, Siemens, Samsung, Sanyo, Nokia and many others cell phones. Also they accept phones produced in every country, and in every condition. Simply Sellular can offer a good prince for your old cell phone in cash. Their mission is giving you a simple way to get money for an old phone, as simple and profitable(赚钱), as it’s possible. Also they offer a trade-in scheme(折价方 案) to get another model instead of your phone, providing a good service after the sale. Also Simply Sellular works with the so-called 911 cell phone program. So you can donate(捐 赠)your cell phone to them to help some people who need it. They know what to do with your old phone! You can be interested in their recycling programs, where every used cell phone could be easily recycled for a few time. Some phones, which are good for refurbish(翻新), Simply Sellular donates to people who need it, for example women or military personnel. If the refurbish is impossible they just recycle cell phones. Just think a minute: it’s a good deal to get some money for your old cell phone, good deal to help somebody with your phone and really important to recycle all techniques after use. Working with Simply Sellular you get every possibility absolutely free. And they will pay to you! That’s a really god deal! 71. When you want a new cell phone, you are advised to ________. A. keep the old one in house to add your collections B. throw the old one into the dustbin to protect your health
C. return the old one to the producer to get some money D. sell the old one to Simply Selluar on a reasonable price 72. The underlined sentence really tells us that ________. A. every one loves the new and loathes the old (喜新厌旧) B. people rush to purchase what is regarded as a fantasy C. people are soon able to enjoy what is the most advanced D. what was a fantasy yesterday will no loner be good for tomorrow 73. Selling a used cell phone to Simply Sellular, you will get ________. A. a good price for the phone in cash B. another new model without any pay C. a cost-free service provided by it D. a profitable plan after the sale 74. The cell phone donated by you is probably ________. A. still in use by others C. collected and on show B. refurished and sold again D. sent to a poorer country
75. This passage is written aiming to ________. A. warn people of the risks by using cell phones B. introduce to us that to do with old cell phones C. advise people not to change cell phones frequently D. encourage us to keep up with new technologies
第二卷（共 45 分） 注意事项： 1、第二卷共 4 页，用钢笔或圆珠笔直接答在试卷上。 2、答卷前将密封线内的项目填写清楚。 题号 得分 第四部分 得 分 写作（共三节；满分 45 分） 评卷人 第一节 第二节 第三节 总分
第一节：单词拼写（共 5 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 5 分）
根据下列句子及所给汉语注释，在句子右边的横线上，写出空缺处各单词的正确形式。 （每空只填一词） 76. It is ________(明显) that he has known the truth. 77. I took ________(优势) of good weather to paint my outside wall. 76.___________ 77.___________
78. Zhai Zhigang together with his two ________(同伴) successfully completed his space walk. 78.___________
79. ________(决心) to give up smoking, he threw away his remaining cigarettes. 79.___________ 80. The old man ______(遭受) a great deal in the past is now living a pleasant life with his family. 80.___________
第二节：阅读表达（共 5 小题；每小题 3 分，满分 15 分）
阅读下面的短文，并根据短文后的要求答题。 （请注意问题后的字数要求） No first lesson is more important than the one on personal safety for kids. The First Lesson of the New Semester, a TV documentary about how to protect oneself in times of emergency, is meant to provide school students with the knowledge on self-protection. It will help students in case of natural disasters, snowstorms or floods. There are times when one can be helpless and hopeless in many life-threatening situations. But that does not mean we _______ the end of life at that time. Many examples show that enough knowledge about self-protection along with enough courage and determination can help many survive. The most recent example is from May earthquake in Sichuan Province. When thousands of school kids were killed by collapsed(坍塌的) school buildings, all students from a middle school survives even without a single one being hurt. That’s because of their timely and orderly escape, which they had been drilled in every semester.
Japan has set a good example for us in safety lessons. Survival exercises are held in Japanese schools every year. With different kinds of competitions and training, schools help the students be aware and capable of surviving disasters. It’s good to see this program is the core(核心) of a national campaign to warn students the importance of personal safety. Chinese Education Ministry has called on all schools nationwide to give lessons on self-protection knowledge in times of emergency every semester. Life is weak but can be strengthened when one is armed with enough knowledge on how to best survive. 81. What will be helpful for students to survive natural disasters? (Please answer within 15 words) ________________________________________________________________ 82. Fill in the blank in paragraph 2 with a proper phrase or words. (Please answer within 2 words) ________________________________________________________________ 83. What is the purpose of the passage? (Please answer within 15 words) ________________________________________________________________ 84. Which sentence in the text is the closest in meaning to the following one? Students will be more keen and determined in face of disasters if they have got much knowledge and experience about self-protection. ________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________ 85. Translate the underlined sentence of the last paragraph into Chinese. ________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________
第三节：书面表达（满分 25 分） 假如你叫李华，你的美国笔友 Tom 前不久来信，想更多了解中国的中秋节，请根据提 示给他回信： 1.中秋节是中国三大节日之一，始于周朝，历史悠久； 2.庆丰收、合家团聚、吃团圆饭、品月饼、赏月、将传说故事。
参考词汇：阴历 lunar calendar；中秋节 Mid Autumn Festival。 字数：120 左右，可适当增加细节。 Dear Tom, _______________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Yours Li Hua
1—5 CBCAC 6—10 ABACC 11—15 CABAB 16—20 CBCAC 21—25 ACDDA 26—30 CCDDB 31—35 CDBCA 36—40 ACCDA 41—45 CBACD 46—50 ABCBC 51—55 ABACD 56—60 BCDCA 61—65 DCBAB 66—70 BBCDA 71—75 DCAAB 76. obvious 77. advantage 78. companions 79. Determined 80. suffering 81. knowledge about self-protection (along with enough courage and determination). 82. wait for/ arrive at/ get to/ reach 83. To call on all schools nationwide to give safety lessons in times of emergency. 84. With different kinds of competitions and training, schools help the students be aware and capable of surviving disasters. 85. 生命是微弱的，但如果人掌握了充足的求生知识，它就变的强大。 One possible version: Dear Tom,
In your last letter you showed great interest in our traditional festival-the Mid Autumn Festival. Now I’ll tell you something about it. The Mid Autumn Festival, one of the three main festivals in China, falls on August 15 by the lunar calendar. It has a long history, dating from the Zhou Dynasty. We celebrate it for harvest. At the festival, all family members try their best to get together, no matter how far they are from each other. Traditionally, on the evening of the festival, people have dinner together. After that, they go outside to appreciate the full moon, eating delicious moon cakes and telling the wonderful stories about the moon. I hope you can come to China whenever possible to experience the exciting atmosphere yourself. Yours Li Hua 听力原文 Text 1 W: What’s your plan for the future? M: I’ll have to move to New York. There are no jobs in the small town where I live now. Text 2 W: Why did the old couple sell their house here? M: Because they wanted to live somewhere warm. They were tired of the snow all year round. Text 3 M: Did you like the film? W: Not particularly. I was rather disappointed. I’d expected it to be much more exciting. Text 4 M: You look could and tired. Could I buy you a hot cup of tea? W: Oh, that would be just what the doctor ordered. Text 5 W: I hear there is a good Japanese restaurant nearby. Would you like to go there for lunch? M: Yes, but it is my treat this time. Text 6 M: Sit down, please. Take it easy. What is your name, please? W: Alice. M: What is the matter, Madam? W: My house was broken into last night. M: Can you describe what happened hast night? W: Yes. At six o’clock, my husband and I left home to attend a friend’s birthday party. We didn’t get home until mid-night. When I opened the door, we found that someone had entered our house by the window. Text 7 W: I’m sorry, but my brother Tom is out. Can I take a message for him? M: That’s very kind of you. There will be a talk on cancer by a famous doctor at 2 this afternoon. Tell his not to be late. W: I certainly will. By the way, where will the talk be given? M: It will be given in the meeting room.
W: I’ll tell him as soon as he comes back. Anything else? M: No, nothing else. Thanks a lot. Goodbye. W: Goodbye. Text 8 M: I’d like to book a single room for Wednesday next week. W: Very good, sir. A single room for Wednesday, June 11th. What kind of room would you like, sir? M: Er… single with bathroom. W: Would you like breakfast? M: No, thanks. W: Could you give me your name, please? M: John Davis. D-A-V-I-S. W: How long will you be staying? M: I’ll be leaving on Sunday morning. W: That will be four nights, sir. Thank you very much, and we look forward to seeing you next Wednesday. M: Good. That’s all settled then? Goodbye. W: Goodbye. Text 9 M: Did you get to talk to the Browns about their trip to Venesuela? W: Oh, yes. They said they had a great time. M: What did they say the weather was like? W: They said it was very cool. They suggested we take some warn coats. M: Did you ask how the hotels were? W: It seemed they were excellent, and not expensive. M: Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard. Did they say if they had had any language problems? W: Sometimes. They told me that hardly anyone spoke English except for the people in the hotels, but they found people in the hotels very helpful and friendly. M: Well, that’s good. And did they buy much while they were there? W: Not much. They said not to buy clothes. They were much more expensive than in the states. But they told me we could get jewelry and gold for very little. Text 10 Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. I want to take a little of your time to let you know about the short training program the company’s now planning. The program is called ―Learning from Adventure‖, and it is designed to develop leadership skills. There will be lectures on public relations and management as well as outdoor activities, such as climbing mountains. Long-distance running and camping. You don’t need any past experiences. There will be no any of program test. However, the company will receive a full report on your performance. You’ll be sure to improve your ability to help others to realize their goals and to deal with difficult tasks on the difficult conditions. The 12-day program will be in July. If you like, you can use part of your twenty day paid holidays. There’s no charge for this program. If you’re interested, please write your name on this piece of paper after the meeting.