Unit 5 What were you doing when the rainstorm came?
Section A 2 3a-3c
Make up the sentences. When I … He was doing …
When I called him up, he was sleeping.
While I was doing…
While I was having the breakfast, he walked to school.
While I was doing…
He was doing …
While I was reading the newspaper,
he was watching TV.
Look at the picture and think about what has happened.
3a Read the passage and answer the following questions. 1. What was the weather like before the heavy rain started?
Black clouds were making the sky very dark. With no light outside, it felt like midnight.
2. What was the neighborhood like after the storm?
The neighborhood was in a mess.
3b Complete the sentences using information from the passage.
1. When the news on TV was reported, strong winds ____________ were blowing outside. 2. While Ben’s mom was making sure the radio was working, his dad __________________________________ was putting pieces of wood over the __________________________________. windows
3. Ben ______________________________ was helping his mom make dinner when the heavy rain finally started. 4. When Ben ___________ fell asleep at 3:00 a.m., the wind ______________. was dying down
1. With no light outside, it felt like midnight.
此句中介词with表示一种伴随状况，同 时还包含着某种因果关系，表示“因某 种状况的存在而导致……”, 因此可翻译 成“由于；因为”等。
e.g. With my parents away, I’m the king of the house. 我爸妈不在家，我可是家中的“王”了！ I can’t work with all that noise going on. 由于那噪音响着，我无法工作。
Para.2 1. Ben’s dad… while his mom was making sure the flashlights and radio were working. 1) 此句中的连词while的意思是“当…… 的时候；和……同时”，while还可以 表示“而；然而；但”之意，用来说 明 和强调两种事情或情形不同。
e.g. Tom is active and outgoing while his sister Rosa is shy and quiet. 汤姆活跃外向，而他的妹妹罗莎却 害羞腼腆。
2) make sure“确认，查明，核实；确保； 设法保证”，其后可接句子，或接介词 of及宾语，用来引入需要确认的内容。 e.g. Could you make sure what time he’s arriving? 你能确认一下他几点到达吗？ Make sure you turn off the TV before you leave the house. 在你离开屋子前确认关闭了电视。
3) 此句中的work表示机器，器官等“运 作，运转”，这是动词work的一种基本 用法。 e.g. My watch is waterproof— that means it would work fine even if it’s in water. 我的手表是防水的—这就是说即便在 水里它也会正常运转。
Para.3 1. Ben was helping his mom make dinner when the rain began to beat heavily against the window. ◆beat作动词，可意为 “敲打；锤砸” 如： The rain beat against the windows. ◆beat作动词，可意为 “打败；取胜” 如： I can easily beat him at golf.
◆beat作动词，可意为 “(心)跳动”。 如： Her heart beat so quickly that she could hardly breathe.
区别 beat 与 win？
2. …, but it was hard to have fun with a serious storm happening outside.
你能否想出此句中包含的句型？ It is adj.+ to do sth. 做……怎么样。 It is adj. for sb. to do sth. 对某人来说做……怎么样。 e.g. It is important for us to learn English. 对我们来说学英语很重要。
Para.4 1. Ben could not sleep at first. He finally fell asleep when the wind was dying down at around 3:00 a.m.
The baby is sleeping. Please be quiet.
I didn’t get much sleep last night.
? asleep是形容词，意为“睡着”，强调状 态，常作表语。fall asleep意为“进入梦 乡；睡着”。如： My daughter was asleep with her head on her arms. He was so tired that he fell asleep at his desk.
根据句意，用sleep或asleep填空。 (1) We ________ very well every night. sleep (2) I need to get some ________. sleep (3) He was ________ asleep the minute he lay down.
? die down逐渐变弱；逐渐消失 e.g. When you saw him, his anger had died down a bit. 你看见他的时候，他的火气已经下去 了。 与die 相关的短语: die away 逐渐减弱；逐渐模糊 die out 灭绝；消失 die of/ from 死于……
6. When he woke up, the sun was rising. rise v. & n. 做动词时，常用作不及物动词 ，意为“升起；增加；提高”。并且还有 “起床”的意思。 raise常用作及物动词，含有“(人为地)使 升起；使提升”的意思，并且还有“筹集 ；饲养；抚养”的意思。
1. 感觉像 2. 首先 3. 入睡 4. 逐渐变弱 5. 确信 6. 醒来 7. 一团糟 8. 清洁 9. 互相帮助 10. 在困难时期 feel like at first fall asleep die down make sure wake up in a mess clean up help each other in times of difficulty
3c Discuss the questions with a partner. “Although the storm broke many things apart, it brought families and neighbors closer together.” What other things can bring people closer together? How can we help each other in times of difficulty?
A friend indeed is a friend in need. 患难见真情
? Read the text and remember the language points. ? Do some exercises.