桐城八中 2015/2016 学年度第二学期第二次段考 高一英语试卷
第一部分 听力（共两节，满分 30 分） 第一节 （共 5 小题，每小题 1.5 分，满分 7.5 分）
1. What does the woman think of Mr. Smith’s lecture? 2. A. Interesting. B. Difficult. C. Easy
3. What is the woman doing? 4. A. Giving advice. B. Asking the way. C. Making a request.
5. What’s Mr. Black’s son going to be? 6. A. A teacher. B. A doctor. C. A lawyer
7. Where does the conversation probably happen? 8. A. In a shop. B. In a hotel. C. In a hospital
9. What does the woman mean? 10. A. She hasn’t met the new teacher yet. doesn’t like the new teacher. 第二节（共 15 小题，每小题 1.5 分，满分 22.5 分） 听第 6 段材料，回答第 6 至 7 题 6. What’s John going to do? A. To meet someone. B. To hunt for work. C. To see Charles off. B. The new teacher has gone to London. C. She
7. What time will the manager’s flight arrive? A. At 2:45. B. At 2:50. C. At 2:55.
听第 7 段材料，回答第 8 至 9 题 8. When does the conversation take place? A. In the morning. B. At noon. C. In the evening.
9. Why does the woman have to call her friend later? A. Her friend might have gone to the library. B. Her friend might have gone shopping. C. Her friend might have gone swimming. 听第 8 段材料，回答第 10 至 12 题 10. What would the man want to do tonight? A. See a film. B. Enjoy a concert. C. Watch a TV show.
11. What is the Lost Explorer about? A. A singer. B. A waterfall. C. A writer.
12. What’s the relationship between the two speakers? A. Hushand and wife. B. Workmates. C. Friends.
听第 9 段材料，回答第 13 至 16 题 13. What are the two speakers going to do on Saturday evening? A. Go shopping. B. Go to a party. C. Go to see a movie.
14. What did the speaker’s neighbor think of the film? A. Wonderful. B. Boring. C. Bad.
15. When will the film start? A. At 7:35. . B. At 7:30. C. At 7:25
16. Where will the two speakers meet each other? A. At the school gate. B. At the cinema gate. C. In the classroom.
听第 10 段材料，回答第 17 至 20 题 17. Why does the man go to the town? A. To attend a meeting. B. To make a journey. C. To give a speech.
18. What’s the population of the town? A. 4,000. B. 14,000. C. 40,000
19. What about the room does the speaker find? A. Disappointing. B. Satisfying. C. Comfortable
20. How long is the speaker going to stay in the town? A. For half a month. B. For a month. C. For four days
第二部分 阅读理解（共两节，满分 40 分） 第一节（共 15 小题：每小题 2 分，满分 30 分） A Last Friday a storm swept through two villages in the New Territories，destroying fourteen homes. Seven others were so badly damaged that their owners had to leave them，and fifteen others had broken windows or broken roofs. One person was killed，several were badly hurt and taken to hospital，and a number of other people received smaller hurt. Altogether over two hundred people were homeless after the storm. A farmer，Mr. Tan，said that the storm began early in the morning and lasted for over an hour. “I was eating with my wife and children，”he said，“When we heard a loud noise. A few minutes later our house fell down on top of us. We tried our best to climb out but then I saw that one of my children was missing. I went back inside and found him，safe but very frightened.” Mrs. Woo Mei Fong said that her husband had just left for work when she felt that her house was moving. She ran outside at once with her children.
“There was no time to take anything，”she said，“A few minutes later，the roof came down.” Soldiers helped to take people out of the flooded area and the welfare department （福 利机构） brought them food，clothes and shelter. 21. How many homes altogether were damaged in the storm？ A. Twenty-nine B. Twenty-one C. Thirty-six D. Fourteen
22. Where was Mr. Tan when the storm first began？ A. He was inside the house. C. He was outside the house. B. He was in bed. D. He was on the roof.
23. The underlined word “shelter” in this passage means ______. A. something to eat C. somewhere to study B. somewhere to stay D. something to wear
24. Which of he following may be the best title for this passage？ A. Clever People C. Good Soldiers B. A Lucky Woman D. A Terrible Storm B From July to October every year, about a quarter of the world’s blue whales feed in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of California. But the whales now face a major threat in their favorite feeding area. Lots of ships carrying cargo sail in the same area at the same time. All too often, a ship will hit a whale. According to a new study, this problem has become a serious threat to the whole population of the world’s blue whales. There are only about 10,000 of the creatures in the world. Blue whales are the largest known animals ever to live on Earth. But if hit by a container(集 装箱) ship, a blue whale will likely die from its injuries. In 2007 alone, large ships killed five blue whales in the waters off San Francisco and Los Angeles, California. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) says that because there are so few whales already, losing three to five from the California whale population every year is a great loss. “The population of blue whales in this part of the Pacific is about 2,500,” says Sean Hastings, a member of NOAA. “So every whale counts toward this population moving off the endangered-species list.” Now, one very simple program is already under way in the Santa Barbara Channel, a waterway that separates mainland California from the nearby Channel Islands. The Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary has asked large container ships passing through the area to slow down. Sailing slower will allow the ship’s members more time to look at detection(探测) equipment and – more important – to change course before hitting a whale.
Several of the world’s largest shipping lines are set to take part in the new program. For every ship that passes through the Santa Barbara Channel at or below the reduced speed of 12 knots(a measure of speed in water), the company that owns the ship will be paid $2,500. 25．The underlined part “this problem” in Paragraph 2 refers to the fact that . A．whales are hit by ships C．whales travel too far B．whales lose their way D．whales can’t find enough food
26．What can we learn about blue whales? A．They like following container ships. B．They mainly live in the pacific Ocean. C．They are in danger of disappearing. D．They were o nce large in number.
27．The purpose of the simple program mentioned in Paragraph 6 is to . A．ship the whales C．look for the whales B．guide the whales D．protect the whales
28．The text is most probably . A．a travel guide C．an advertisement B．a newspaper report D．a research paper C Many years ago my student asked me the question, "Mrs. Kindred, why do you teach?" Without taking time to reflect, I answered, "Because someday I might say something that might make a difference in someone's life." Even though I was sincere, that wasn't a very good answer and my student didn't let it slide. "Let me get this straight," he said, "You went to college for four years so you could come here every day because you have the hope that someday you might say something that will influence someone?" He shook his head as if I were crazy and walked away looking confused. I'm one of those people who look back and wish they had said something smart or witty, or swift. Even though that particular student might no longer wonder why I teach, there are days when I wonder. On those days, I remind myself of the real reasons I teach: It's in my blood. My mother was my most influential teacher, and she was a 6th grade reading teacher until her death in 1990. She instilled(逐渐灌输) in me a love of readi ng and the knowledge that education opens doors. Teaching is a way to make a difference. If yo u throw a stone in a pond the ripples go on and on until they reach the shore. You can't have ripples without a "stone." Good teachers throw stones that make a positive difference, and that's what I strive to do. I genuinely love teenagers.
I want to share with others what I know and what I have learned through the years. Life is full of ups and downs, and if I can help students avoid some potholes on the road of life, I want to do so. If they'll allow me to celebrate their victories with them, I want to do too. Teaching isn't for everyone, but I know I made the right career choice. 29. Why did the student continue to ask the question about the writer’s being a teacher? A. Because the writer was insincere. B. Because he thought her answer was unbelievable. C. Because the student was naughty. D. Because the answer was difficult to understand. 30. What do you think of the writer? A. Honest. B. Stupid. C. Conservative. D. Polite.
31. According to the text, which of the following is NOT true? A. The writer’s mother has the gr eatest influence on her. B. The writer’s answer made the student confused. C. In the writer’s opinion, some people in the world are unfit to teach. D. The writer annoyed the student who asked the question. 32. What’s the main idea of the text? A. A student’s silly question. C. The reason why I teach. B. A good teacher who likes students. D. A confused student. D This is a song millions of Americans will hear this New Year's Eve. It is called Auld Lang Syne (《友谊地久天长》). It is the traditio nal music played during the New Year's celebration. Auld Lang Syne is an old Scottish poem. It tells about the need to remember old friends. The words "auld lang syne" mean "old long since". No one knows who wrote the poem first. However, a version by Scottish poet Robert Bums was published in 1796. The words and music we know today first appeared in a song book three years later. The song is played in the United States mainly on New Year's Eve. The version (译文) you are hearing today is by the Washington Saxophone Quartet. As we end our program with Auld Lang Syne. I would like to wish all our radio friends a very Happy New Year! This is Buddy Thomas. 33. This passage is from ______. A. a newspaper. B. a magazine. C. a TV program. D. a radio program.
34. From the passage, we know that The song Auld Lang Syne mainly played in the USA ______. A. On New Year's Eve. C. On weekends. B. On Christmas Eve. D.On holidays.
35. The song Auld Lang Syne is about ______.
A. the history of Scotland C. the need to remember old friends
B. an old Scottish poet D. the wishes to the radio friends
第二节 (共 5 小题；每小题 2 分，满分 10 分) 根据短文内容，从短文后的选项中选出能填入空白处的最佳选项。选项中有两项为多余选项。 Mountain biking is a great way to explore the outdoors, stay in shape, or just have fun. 36_ Even though it’s dangerous, if you ride with caution, it can be enjoyed by the entire family. Mountain biking can best be characterized into three different styles --- downhill, free riding, and cross country. Even though the different styles are similar in some ways, they still require different skills. 37__ You can find groups that have mountain bike rides and competitions. You can look on thewww.zxxk.com Internet or even in a local paper and see exactly what’s available in your area. 38__ Like all other sports, it takes time and practice. Those just beginning will have to get past the bumps and bruises from fa lling off the bike. The bike you select is more of a personal choice, and a big determining factor on the type of riding you will be doing. Bikes come in all styles, shapes, and prices, which will make selecting one for yourself very difficult indeed. 39__ A great mountain biker will become one with his or her own bike. When buying, make sure you check for comfort, how it fits, even how it is geared. 40_ Anytime you are riding, you should wear a helmet, along with knee and elbow pads. If you are following a group or riding in the woods you should strongly consider a pair of goggles as well. Safety should be your top priority and never taken lightly anytime you are mountain biking. A. To buy a bike for mountain biking, you should mainly consider how much the bike costs you. B. It takes practice to succeed for a great mountain biker. C. Racing down the side of a mountain is a lot of fun indeed, although it can also be quite dangerous. D. The style that you pick will determine the type of bike you get. E. You may be able to find groups for the more advanced riders as well as beginners.
F. Mountain bike riding on unpaved roads can be very dangerous, as mentioned earlier. G. Before you buy a bike, always ask to try it out first. 第三部分：英语知识运用（共两节，满分 45 分） 第一节 完形填空（共 20 小题；每小题 1. 5 分，满分 30 分）
Life hasn’t always been easy! I know people might think I’ve got 41 but I’ve certainly had to work very hard to 42 where I am today. When I was a child I knew that one day I would have my own 43 because my parents 44 encouraged me to “ 45 ”. As a child, I always
wanted to be top of the class 46 I worked very hard and didn’t go out much with my friends. When I was 18, I went to university to learn modern languages because they had been my 47 subjects at school. I spent four years 48 French and German and then decided to become a flight attendant(空姐) with an international airline company. I 49 every minute of it, although it was hard work and we had some difficult passengers. But I 50 all over the world
and saw some fantastic places. I also learned some very important lessons, which 51 me now. If you are never at home, it’s 53 52 to have a family, so after a few years I decided to
careers, get married and have children. 54 I ran my business from the living room, which 55 with a husband and two small children. Then when I started to make more 56 ,
I found an office and employed a secretary. Now I have 200 employees and both of my children 57 with me. We really have a family business and I 58 that we will continue for many years
to come. When people ask me what the 59 of success is, I always say that it’s a mixture of good
luck, 60 work and positive(积极的) thinking. 41．A．somebody B．everything C．nothing D．everybody 42．A．get B．lose C．expect D．miss 43．A． secretary B．name C．family D．company 44．A．never B．always C．seldom D．still 45．A．talk back B．think back C．think big D．talk big 46．A．so B．if C．but D．unless 47．A． weakest B．different C．own D． favorite 48．A．speaking B．studying C．teaching D．using 49．A．loved B．wasted C． counted D．collected 50．A．drove B．shipped C．flew D．rode 51．A．surprise B．relax C．help D．calm 52．A．important B．impossible C．natural D．unnecessary 53．A．choose B．build C．start D．change 54．A．By the way B．By the time C．At the beginning D ．In the end
55．A．difficult B．easy C．safe D．satisfied 56．A．trouble B． jobs C．money D．friends 57．A．play B．agree C．communicate D．work 58．A．hope B． doubt C．explain D．forget 59．A．example B．meaning C．taste D．secret 60．A．creative B．hard C．valuable D．heavy 第二节 语法填空（共 10 小题：每小题 1．5 分，满分 15 分） Last week, our class was on duty in the cafeteria(食堂) for student self-management. On the first day, I was shocked to see so much leftover food thrown away by students. What 61 waste! Being concerned about it, my classmates and I had a 62 (heat) discussion on how 63 (solve) the problem. Lots of good ideas came up, such as holding class meetings, putting up wall newspapers and charging a fine for wasting food. 64 (final), we all agreed that wall newspaper would be the best choice. The next day, we put our idea into reality. Towards lunch time, we put up a wall newspaper outside the school cafeteria, 65 (call) on students not to waste food. Many students gathered around to read and 66 (express) their support. To my great delight, there were 67 (change)
soon. In the cafeteria, I found the trays(托盘) returned after lunch all empty without 68 food left. Food was saved and the dining hall was and proud of 70 we had done. 69 (clean). Seeing this, I felt relieved
第四部分 写作（共两节，满分 35 分） 第一节：短文改错（共 10 小题，每小题 1 分，满分 10 分） One day, little Tony went to a shopping center with his parent. It was very crowded. Tony saw a toy on a shop window. He liked it so very much that he quickly walked into the shop. After looks at the toy for some time, he turned around and found what his parents were missing. Tony was scared and begun to cry. A woman saw him crying and telling him to wait outside a shop. Five minutes later. Tony saw her parents. Mom said, “ How nice to see you again! Dad and I was terribly worried.” Tony promised her that this would never happen again. 第二节 书面表达（满分 25 分） 随着人们生活水平的提高，越来越多的家庭拥有了自己的轿车。对此人们持有不同的看法，有赞同的， 有反对的。赞同者认为：轿车方便快捷、是舒适的交通工具，反映出国民生活水平提高；反对者认为： 废气污染严重，且小车过多会影响交通，导致更多事故。请你根据此内容，并加上自己的观点，写一篇 议论文 词数 100-120。.
一． 听力（共 20 小题，每小题 1.5 分，满分 30 分） 1-5 BCCBA. 6-10 ACCAA 11-15 BCCAB 16-20 BBCAB
二．阅读理解（共 20 小题，每小题 2 分，满分 40 分） 21-25 31-35 CABDA DCDAC 26-30 36-40 CDBBA CDEGF
三．完形填空（共 20 小题，每小题 1.5 分，满分 30 分） 41-45 51-55 BADBC CADCB 46-50 56-60 ADBAC CDADB
四．语法填空（共 10 小题，每小题 1.5 分，满分 15 分） 61. a 62. heated 68. any 63. to solve 69. cleaner 64. Finally 70. what 65. calling 66. expressed
五．短文改错（共 10 小题，每小题 1 分，满分 10 分） 71. parent---parents 75. what---that 79. her----his 72. on---in 73. very 去掉 74. looks-----looking 78. a----the
76. begun----began 80. was----were
六．书面表达（满分 25 分） With the development of society, m ore and more people live a rich life. They can not only have all kinds of outdoor activities, but also can afford to travel. Now even more and more can buy a private car. There are some advantages about it. First it can avoid being crowded on the bus. Second, it can reduce the pressure of going to work far away from home. Third, it is very convenie nt for those who like traveling. They can go where they want. But there are also some disadvantages. First, if there are more and more private cars, the traffic will be busier and busier. Second, the pollution will be more and more serious. Third, if there are more private cars, those who are not rich will be forced to buy one when they find many people have private cars. So in my opinion, if possible, we can take a bus to work. Then it can reduce pollu tion and the traffic won’t be so busy.