Unit2 The Olympic Games
1. compete vi. 比赛；竞争，对抗。
1）compete in sth. 参加……比赛，在……竞争 I hope to compete in the English contest. 我盼着去参加英语竞赛 2）compete for 为得到---而竞争 宾语常用 championship(leadership, the post, the gold medal, the scholarship, the contract) 竞争冠军（领导权、 职位、金牌、奖学金、合同） She is competing for the title, Miss America. 她在竞争美国小姐的桂冠 3）compete with/against 与……竞争 We can’t compete with them on price. 我们在价格上无法与他们竞争 【拓展延伸】 competitor 参赛者；competition 【点拨】辨析 compete, contest compete指为争得名次、奖品、合同等而进行的，没有征服对手之意。Contest指友谊竞赛或敌意的竞赛， 侧重于比试技能、能力、力气、耐力等 How many students are contesting in the spoken English match? 有多少学生参加英语口语赛？ 【即境活用】 We can’t ____other countries in trade if we don’t develop our national economy. A. compete for B. compete against C. catch up D. catch with 竞争 competitive adj.竞争的，竞争性的
【解析】B 考查动词短语辨析。按照句意此处有与---竞争之意；compete---against符合。 2. admit vt.& vi.准许进入，容许，接纳(常用被动结构) Phrases: be admitted as… 被接受为…… admit (to) sth/ doing admit sb/sth to be 承认某事/干过某事 承认----是 be admitted (to/into) 被准许进入 admit that 承认----
It is/was admitted that普遍认为---
He was admitted as a member of the basketball team. 他被接受成为篮球队的一名队员。 Only 200 children were admitted to/into the school every year. 那时每年只有200名儿童获准入学 Will you admit having broken the window? 你承不承认你打破了窗户？ They freely admit that they still have a lot to learn. 他们坦率承认，他们要学的东西还很多 He admitted his words to be mistaken.他承认自己的话错了 【即境活用】 May I know your age, for people over 40 _________ club.
A. don’t admit into C. can’t enter
B. aren’t admitted to D. are refused by
【解析】B 句意：我可以知道你的年龄吗？ 因为40岁以上的人禁入该俱乐部。应用被动语态。 3. replace vt. 代替；取代。 代替；取代。 replace sth 代替，取代。 Teachers will never be replaced by computers in the classroom. 课堂上电脑永远不会取代老师。 replace sb as 取代而成为；replace sb/sth with/by 用……替换，以……接替
She replaced her husband as the local teacher. 她取代丈夫成了当地的老师。 I replaced the worn-out tools with/by new ones. 【拓展延伸】Phrases: in place 在适当的位置 in one’s place=in place of 代替 take place 发生，举行 out of place 在不适当的位置 take the place of=replace 代替，替代 take one’s place 就位，就座 我用新工具来替换那磨损不堪的。
instead of 代替，而不是（介词短语） With everything in place, she started lesson. 一切就绪，她开始讲课 【即境活用】 Bob is ill today. Who can ________ him in our football match? A. replace B. take place C. instead of D. in the place of
【解析】 考查短语辨析。 A 按照句意此处有代替之意并且需要动词作谓语， replace=take the place of。 instead of 是个介词短语，不能作谓语。 4. charge vt.& vi. 收费；控诉 n.费用；主管
5. bargain n.协议；廉价物；v.（与某人）讨价还价; 洽谈成交条件; 谈判 [典例] 1). If you promote our goods, we will give you a good discount as our part of the bargain. 若你方经销我们的货 物, 我方愿给予你相当大的优惠作为回报。 2). It's a bargain. 这可是便宜货。 3). Never pay the advertised price for a car; always try to bargain. 千万不要照牌价购买汽车, 总得讲讲价才 是。 [重点用法] make a bargain with sb about/over/for sth 就某事与某人达成协议 bargain with sb about/over/for sth 【即境活用】翻译句子 就某事与某人讨价还价
1). 你做了一笔很上算的交易。 _______________________________________________________________________________ 2). 工会为缩短工作周而（与资方）讨价还价。 _______________________________________________________________________________ Keys: 1). You've got a good bargain there. 2). The unions bargained (with management) for a shorter working week. 6. deserve vt.& vi. 应受（报答或惩罚） ；值得
【重点短语】 1. take part in 参加；参与
2. stand for 代表；象征；表示 [短语归纳] stand by 袖手旁观；无动于衷 stand by sb 支持；帮助；忠于 stand out(from／as)显眼；突出 stand up 站起；站立；起立 1). The sign X stands for an unknown number. 符号 X 表示一个未知数。 2). My mother stands for the kind treatment of all children.
我妈妈主张对待一切孩子都要慈爱。 【即境活用】汉译英 1). 无论如何，我都支持你。 _____________________________________________ 2). 我谴责法西斯主义及其代表的一切。 _____________________________________________ 答案： 1). I’ll stand by you whatever happens. 2). I condemn fascism and all it stands for.
3. as well as 也；又；还 是连词常用来连接主语、宾语、表语或状语等并列成分，一般不可置于句首，其侧重点在于前者。因 此通常先译后者，再译前者，作”等解 He as well as his wife was invited to the party. 具体用法如下： 1)as well as连接两个主语时，谓语动词的数须与前面的主语保持一致例如： John, as well as his friends, hasn’t yet read the book. 约翰和他的朋友们一样，都没有读过那本书。 2）as well as连接两个谓语动词时，前后动词的时态须保持一致。 They are watching TV as well as discussing the problem.他们在讨论这个问题，同时也看电视 3）as well as连接两个不定式时，若第一个带to，则as well as后的不定式通常省略to。 I came to see him as well as learn of the truth. 我到来既是为了解真实情况，也是为了看望你。 4）as well as连接人称代词时，用主格和宾格含义不同 He wrote to you as well as me. 他写信给我，也写了信给你 5）as well as 位于句首，意思为“除---之外”；后接名词、代词、动名词。 As well as breaking the leg, he hurt his arm. 他除了摔断腿外，还伤了胳膊 他和他的妻子都被邀请参加那个聚会啦。
6）as well as 侧重点在前，not only ----but also ---侧重点在后。谓语动词数遵循就近原则。 Not only he but also we are fond of the popular song. 不仅他而且我们也喜欢流行歌曲。 【拓展延伸】as well as 还可以用在比较状语从句中，意思为“与—一样好” As well 为副词=also, too,用于句末，意思为“也”； may (just) as well do 不妨干……。
【即境活用】 We all feel it is Jack as well as his wife that ____ for their son’s bad behaviour at school. A. are to blame C. are to be blamed B. is to be blamed D. is to blame
【重点句型】 1. No other countries could join in, nor could slaves or women. 别的国家不能参加，奴隶和妇女也不能参加。
【即境活用】汉译英 1). 如果你们今晚去看电影，我也去。 _______________________________________________________________________________ 2). 我以前没去过上海, 我妹妹也没去过。 _______________________________________________________________________________
答案: 1). If you go to the cinema tonight, so will I. 2). I haven't been to Shanghai before and neither has my sister. 2.
【即境活用】 You might as well expect a river to flow backward A. than stop 答案：C B. as to stop C. as stop us carrying out the plan.
D. so as to stop
The Future Passive Voice
被动语态的基本构成是”be + 过去分词”，各种时态通过 be 表现出来。一般将来时态的被动语态有 下列几种形式：
1. shall/will be done Will those old schools be pulled down next week?那些老校是在下周拆除吗？ 2. be going to be done The letter is going to be typed and sent off immediately.这封信将立即打好并发出。 3. be to be done The question is to be discussed at the next meeting.定于在下次会议上讨论这个问题 is/are to do是将来时态的一种形式，表达的是按计划或根据原先的安排即将发生的事 The company is to give us a pay rise. 公司将给我们加薪 4. be about to be done These difficulties are about to be overcome.这些困难即将被克服 【拓展延伸】不使用被动语态的情况： 1. 谓语动词表示情况或状态，但不表示动作，不用被动。 常见动词有：contain, equal, fit, hold, join, lack, mean, suit;与此类似的 look like, consist of, belong of,等动 词短语也不用被动语态。 What does the book belong to? 这本书是谁的?
2. 有些动词用主动形式表示被动意思 常见的有：open, shut, wear, sell, tear, wash, write, read 等 The door opened and the teacher walked in. 【典型例题】 1.Hundreds of jobs ________ if the factory closes. A. lose B. will be lost C. are lost D. will lose 门开了，老师走进了教室
【解析】B 考查将来时的被动语态。按照句意可知，工作将被失去，要用将来时态的被动语态，因此排 除答案 A、C 和 D，答案选 B 2. Residents ________ not to go out alone or to take part in any groups during the period of recent terrorist activities. A. were always being warned B. are always warning C. always warned D. had always been warned 【解析】 A。 在最近的恐怖活动期间， 当地居民总是被警告晚上不能单独外出， 并且不参加任何组织。 be
always doing sth.总是做某事，表达某种抱怨﹑不满或赞许的情绪。人们“被警告”，要用被动态。 【语法专练】 1. With home – schooling growing quickly in the United States, nobody knows exactly how many American children A．will teach C．are being taught at home. B．taught D．are teaching
2. The truck ran down the hill, and the driver _________, according to the local newspaper, to have been killed. A. was reported C. reported B. was reporting D. had been reported
3.The message is very important, so it is supposed ________ as soon as possible. A. to be sent B. to send C. being sent D. sending
4. ----Have the police found the parents of the baby found by the road? -----Not yet. His identity ____________. A. has been found out C. had been found out B. is being found out D. would be found out
5. Large quantities of information ____ since the organization was built. A. has offered C. have been offered B. had been offered D. is offered
6. ---- Look! Everything here is under construction. ----- What’s the pretty small house that_______ for? A. is being built C. is built B. has been built D. is building
7. All the machines ____ by the end of the following week. A. were repaired C. will have been repaired 答案：1~5 CAABC 6~7 AC B. would be repaired D. were being repaired
1.（2010·山东卷·T23） I have a lot of readings _____ before the end of this term. A. completing B. to complete
D. being completed
【解析】选 B。本题考查非谓语动词的使用。句意应为“这个学期结束前，我要做很多阅读练习。 ”由于 时间状语 before the end of this term 表达未来的时间，所以空格处使用动词不定式表示将来，充当 readings 的定语。 2.（2010·湖北卷·T25） If I find someone who looks like the suspect, my police. A. physical B. immediate C. sensitive D. sudden reaction will be to tell the
【解析】 B。 选 考查形容词词义辨析。 “physical”表示 “身体的” “sudden”表示 ； “突然的” “sensitive” ； 表示“敏感的” ，只有 “immediate”表示“立刻，马上” ，等同于 “at once. 3.（2009·四川卷·T15）—Why don’t we choose that road to save time? —The bridge to it __________. A. has repaired C. is being repaired B. is repaired D. will be repaired
【解析】选 C 考查时态和语态。根据语境可知不走另一条路的原因是因为桥正在被修。所以用现在 解析】 进行时的被动形式作为该题的答案。 4.（2009·全国卷·T2 ）27 If you leave the club, you will not be A. received B. admitted C. turned D. moved back in .
【解析】选 B 考查实义动词词义辨析。按照句意此处有允许、接纳之意，admit 符合 解析】 5.（2008·辽宁卷·T35） Bill wasn’t happy about the delay of the report by Jason, and ______. （ ·辽宁卷· ） A. I was neither B. neither was I C. I was either D. either was I
【解析】选 B 考查 neither 的倒装句。neither, nor+助动词+主语+动词原形------，表示前面所述否定情况也 适用于另一者。
一、听力（略） 二、单项选择 1. Would you like to ______ us in practicing running? We are going to ______ the sports meeting soon. 世纪金榜 A. join; take part in B. take part in; join
C. attend; take part in D. join; take part
2. Sorry, you have to make space____ other cars, or you would be charged________occupying too much room. A. for, of B. for, with C. to, for D. to, with
3. A person who has _______ final say in an international company is usually _______ influential one. 世纪金 A. a; the B. the; an C. the; the D. a; an 世
4. The ground has been cleared and houses ______ for those homeless people now. A. build B. have built C. are built D. are being built since.
5. His sister left home in 1998, and A. had not been heard of C. has not been heard of
B. had not heard of D. has not heard of
6. If you don’t go to the meeting tomorrow, _________. A. neither I will C. nor will I B. so will I D. so won’t I
7. The young man is being questioned by the police in relation to the _______ murder last night. A. advised B. attended C. admitted D. attempted
8. Jack is a student and studies at the NO. 1 Middle School, _____. A. it was the same with Mike C. so is Mike B. so it is with Mike D. so does Mike
9. One of the greatest sources of unhappiness, in my experience, is the difficulty we have in accepting things
_____ they are.
A. as B. what C. which D. where
10. To our surprise, we got ______ people to attend the meeting as we expected. A. as twice C. twice many as B. twice many D. twice as many
11. They wouldn’t ______ to call the police at the first sign of trouble. They did it right away. A. hesitate B. accelerate C. bargain D. expand ________whether they will play an
12. Most teachers are equipped with laptops, but it remains important role in teaching. A. to see B. to be seen C. seeing D. seen
13. --- What are the habits of highly successful women? --- Taking action is a crucial habit and ________.
A. dreaming is so
C. so dreaming is
B. so is dreaming
D. so does dreaming
14．As the train will not leave until one hour later, we __________have a drink at the cafe. A. may well C. might as well B. just as well D. as well
15. —Hi, Tommy, got a minute? — A．Sure, come in C．Of course not , help yourself 三、完形填空 Chinese swimmer Xiong Guoming made a record at the 1993 Asian Games in Japan, but was punished for taking banned medicine. His record was for two years. It was a great 38 and 39 for Xiong, one of the best-known swimmers in the world. This bad news 40 in all Chinese records in swimming. 36 and he was not 37 to take part in any other competitions ,what’s on your mind? B．No, I’m sorry D．Yes, it’s one clock sharp
harmed the fame of the Chinese swimming team, and resulted However, the so-called banned medicine was, in fact, It may have been 42 to Xiong, as he had no 41__ 43
traditional Chinese health food. of some of the banned chemical elements in the 44 only 20 years old, he
health food. The failure was a sudden blow to him. He became very disappointed. 45
the life style of a retired man, passing his time in doing such things as keeping pets and growing flowers.
Day after day, he was worried and displeased. Back to the training pool was all the more difficult to him. To other people, it was just a 46 of getting 47
prepared for a competition, but to him, it was to rebuild self-confidence first. He did not lose heart, after all. advice and help of his coach and leaders of the swimming team, Xiong decided to career. 49 48
swimming again as his
expected, Xiong took first place again. In the recent Eighth National Games, he took a number of titles,
and broke an Asian record. Tears ran down his cheeks as he was receiving the gold medals. In the thundering applauses（鼓掌欢迎）Xiong felt as if he had been given a new birth. "I want to good swimmer, and that I do not cheat anyone also 53 51 . My 52 50 the world that I am a
depends upon my sweat," Xiong said. He 54 .
thankful to those who had helped and cared for him when he was 55
Xiong, the young swimmer with a brighter future, is well
his way to the coming Olympic Games.
36. A. stopped 37. A. admitted 38. A. fight 39. A. damage
B. taken away B. allowed B. surprise B. shame
C. forbidden C. forbidden C. loss C. sorry C. in surprise C. mostly C. unusual C. way C. Though C. led C. way
D. cancelled D. supposed D. chance D. failure D. in doubt D. at most D. kind D. taste D. At the age of D. followed D. kind
40. A. in trouble B. in difficult 41. A. almost 42. A. wrong 43. A. opinion 44. A. Even 45. A. liked 46. A. matter 47. A. Thanks to 48. A. take up 49. A. Being 50. A. tell 51. A. anywhere 52. A. future 53. A. was 54. A. in danger 55. A. finding 四、阅读理解 B. most B. unfair B. idea B. Being B. lived B. result
B. According to B. go on B. As B. show B. any place B. honor B. felt
C. Belonging to
D. Looking forward to D. keep on D. Which
C. go on with C. Never C. prove C. any more C. prize C. appeared C. in high spirits. C. in
D. persuade D. any longer D. success D. looked D. in the dark D. on
B. in low spirits B. going
A The booking notes of the play “the Age of Innocence”: Price: ＄10 BOOKING There are four easy ways to book seats for performance: ------ in person The Box Office is open Monday to Saturday, 10 a. m. -8 p. m. ------ by telephone Ring 01324976 to reserve your tickets or to pay by credit card（Visa, MasterCard and Amex accepted）
------ by post Simply complete the booking form and return it to Global Theatre Box Office. ------ on line Complete the on-line booking form at www. Satanfiedtheatre. com DICOUNTS: Saver: ＄2 off any seat booked any time in advance for performances from Monday to Thursday. Savers are available for children up to 16 years old, over 60s and full-time students. Supersaver: half-price seats are available for people with disabilities and one companion. It is advisable to book in advance. There is a maximum of eight wheelchair spaces available and one wheelchair space will be held until an hour before the show. Standby: best available seats are on sale for ＄6 from one hour before the performance for people eligible （suitable）for Saver and Supersaver discounts and thirty minutes before for all other customers. Group Bookings: there is a ten per cent discount for parties of twelve or more. School: school parties of ten or more can book ＄6 standby tickets in advance and will get every tenth ticket free. Please note: we are unable to exchange tickets or refund money unless a performance is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. 56. If you want to book a ticket, you CANNOT _____ A. go to the Box Office on Sundays. B. ring the booking number and pay for the tickets by credit card. C. use the Internet. D. complete a booking form and post it to the Box Office. 57. According to the notes, who can get ＄2 off? A. The people who book the tickets on Fridays. B. An 18-year-old teenager. C. A 55-year-old woman. D. A 20-year-old full-time college student. 58. If you make a group booking for a group of 14 adults, how much should you pay? A. ＄120 B. ＄126 C. ＄140 D. ＄150
59. Which of the following is NOT true according to the passage?
A. There are only 8 wheelchair spaces in the theatre. B. A school party of 15 students should pay 90 for the standby tickets. C. A group of 12 persons can get 10 per cent discount. D. The audience can’t refund money if the performance is on show. 60. What kind of tickets are the cheapest? A. The standby tickets for school parties of ten or more. B. The standby tickets. C. The tickets for Saver discount. D. The tickets for group booking. B In order to host the Olympics, a city must submit a proposal(提交提案) to the IOC. After all proposals have been submitted, the IOC votes. If no city with the fewest votes is eliminated(淘汰), the voting continues, until a majority winner is determined. Typically the Games are awarded several years in advance, allowing the winning city time to prepare for the Games. In selecting the site of the Olympic Games, the IOC considers a number of factors, and chiefly among them is which organizing committee seems most likely to stage the Games effectively. The IOC also considers which parts of the world have not yet hosted the Games. For instance, Tokyo, the host of the 1964 Summer Games, and Beijing, that of the 2008 Games, were chosen in part to popularize the Olympic movement in Asia. Because of growing importance television worldwide, the IOC in recent years has also taken into account the host city’s time zone. Whenever the Games take place in the USA or Canada, for example, American television networks are willing to pay specially higher amounts for television rights because they can broadcast popular events live in the best viewing hours. Once the Games have been awarded, it is the duty of the local organizing committee----not the IOC or the NOC of the host city’s country to provide them with money. This is often done with a part of the Olympic television revenues(收入), and corporate sponsorships(社团赞助), tickets sales, and other smaller revenue sources. In many cases there is also direct government support. Although many cities have achieved amounts of money by hosting the Games, the Olympics can be financially risky. When the financial gains from the Games were less than expected, the city was left with large debts. 61. _______will be determined to host the Olympic Games by the IOC. A. A city that submits a proposal B. One that hasn’t hosted the Games
C. A city that has perfect time zone
D. A majority winner in voting
62. If the Games take place in Canada, American television networks___. A. are willing to pay much higher amounts for television rights B. will be forbidden to broadcast live sporting events C. can’t broadcast popular events live in the best viewing hours D. will not pay for the Canadian television networks 63. According to the last paragraph, which following statement is true? A. The host city must be left with large debts B. The city may achieve a lot of money A. There is no financial risk in hosting the Olympic Games B. It is impossible that the host city couldn’t make money 64. Which of the following can be the best title of this passage? A. Applying for host for Olympics C. How to host Olympic Games 五、阅读短文，回答问题 I used to watch a little girl playing basketball every day from my kitchen window. One day I asked her why she practiced so much. She said, “I want to go to college. The only way I can go is to get a scholarship. I like basketball and I want to be the best player in college. My dad told me, “If the dream is big enough, the facts don’t count.” She never changed her mind. I watched her through those junior high years and into senior high school. One day before she graduated from high school, I saw her sitting on the grass sadly. I asked her what was wrong. She told me that her coach said she was too short to be a good basketball player, so she should stop dreaming about going to college. She was heartbroken and it made me feel bad too. Then she smiled and told me her father said that the coach was wrong. He did not understand the power of dream. Her father said to her, “If you really want to play for the scholarship of a good college, nothing but you yourself can stop your dream.” He told her again, “If the dream is big enough, the facts don’t count.” The next year, she and her team went to a big game. She was seen by a coach of a famous college team and was offered a scholarship to the women’s basketball team of their college. She was to get the college education that she had dreamed of and worked for all those years. “If the dream is big enough, the facts don’t count.” It is true. 65 What is the only way for the girl to go to a good college according to the passage?（No more than 10 B. Winner or loser D. The Olympic Games
words） ____________________________________________________________________ 66. Give a definition to the underlined word “count”.（ No more than 5 words） ____________________________________________________________________ 67. Why is the girl so sad? （ No more than 20 words） ____________________________________________________________________ 68. What is the girl’s father’s purpose by saying “If you really want to play for the scholarship of a good college, nothing but you yourself can stop your dream.”?（No more than 10 words） ____________________________________________________________________ 69. What have you learned from the story? （ No more than 30 words） ____________________________________________________________________ 六、书面表达 假设你是美国中学生 Tom， 请根据下图提示， 给你的一个朋友写一封信， 讲述一次你在北京观看奥 运赛事的经历及感受。 注意: 1. 词数 100 左右，开头已给出， 不计入总词数。 2．参考词汇：水立方: the Water Cube 自愿者: volunteer
Dear Eric, How ’s everything going? I’m having an enjoyable time in Beijing now and I would like to share with you my experience of watching the Olympic Games. ______________________
二~四 21~25 ABBDC 36-40 DBCBD 56-60 ADBBA 五、 65. It’s to play basketball for a scholarship. 66. to be very important/ matter. 67. Because the couch said she was too short to play basketball so she should stop dreaming of going to college. 68.（Her father’s purpose is）to encourage her. 69.（ Answers may be various）根据原文主旨，合情合理，表达正确 六、 参考范文： Dear Eric, How’s everything going? I’m having an enjoyable time in Beijing now and I would like to share with you my experience of watching the Olympic Games. Yesterday, I, along with my friends went to the Water Cube to cheer 26~30 CDBAD 41-45 CBBCD 61~64 DABA 31~35 ABBCA 46-50 AAABB 51-55 ADBBD
for the American athletes in the diving competition. I waved the flag with efforts and took lots of photos of the wonderful moment. While watching them receiving the gold medal, I acclaimed excitedly without noticing my camera drop to the ground. On my way back to the hotel, I realized my camera was gone, so I immediately rushed to the Lost and Found in the Water Cube to try my luck. Fortunately, I found my camera, which was returned by a volunteer. I thanked the volunteer and offered him some cash in return. To my surprise, he turned me down, saying that it was his duty to do so. I was moved by their hospitality and sincerity. I felt grateful for their help.