Unit 2 English around the world
Period 1 Reading
I. Teaching aims 1. Knowledge aim Master the words and phrases and get a view of the road to modern English. 2. Ability aim Train students? reading skill. 3. Emotion aim Let students know more about English and inspire students to study English hard. II. Teaching important points The understanding and comprehension of the passage. III. Teaching difficult point (1) How to get to master the useful words and expressions. (2) How to improve students? ability to read an article. IV. Teaching Procedures Period 1 Step 1. Warming Up 1. Lead in: Show Ss a map of the world, and ask them the following questions: 1) How many languages are there in the world? 2) How many English-speaking counties are there in the world? 3) How are you ever heard some differences between American English and British English? Step2. Reading (1) Skimming Read the passage quickly and find out the answers of the questions in comprehension.
Page 1 of 9
(2) Scanning The cause Time Between AD 450 and 1150 1150 to 1500 In the 1600?s Less like German; more like French Shakespeare broadened the vocabulary A big changed in English Later British people brought English to Australia Cultures communicate with one another Things that happened Based on German
(3) Listen to the tape and tell the meaning of each paragraph. 1. Para 1: Brief introduction of the change in English. 2. Para 2: An example of different kinds of English. 3. Para 3: The development of English. Para 4: English spoken in some other countries. (4) Post reading Step3. Discussion Some people say that Chinese is a much more elegant language, so it is more important for us to master it and it is not so necessary to master foreign language. Do you agree with this opinion and why? Period 2 Language points： 1. Do you know that there is more than one kind of English in the world? 你知道世界上英语的种类并不止一种吗？ more than one + 名词单数，后面的谓语动词用单数 例如：More than one student wants to go to swim. 2. In some important ways they are very different form one another. 在某些重要的方面， 它们彼此有些差异。 (1) in…way(s) / by…means 在??方面
We should solve this problem in a different way. = We should solve this problem by a different way. (2) one another / each other 彼此，相互之间 We should communicate with one another/each other. We send card to one another/each other every year.
Page 2 of 9
3. Nearly all of them lived in England. almost 与 nearly
①两者都可以修饰 all, every, always 等词，都可以用于否定句中。 ②在 very, pretty, not 后用 nearly, 不用 almost。 例如：I?m not nearly ready. ③在 any, no, none, never 前用 almost, 不用 nearly。 例如：I almost never see her. 练一练：用 nearly 或 almost 填空 (1) He said ______ nothing interesting. (2) ______ 1000 people were here. (3) There is not ________enough boo for the whole class. 解析：(1) 与 nothing 连用，所以填 almost (3) 被 not 修饰时，用 nearly 4. Native English speakers can understand each other even if they don?t speak the same kind of English. 把英语作为母语的人相互之间可以交流，即使他们说的不是同一种英语。 even if /even though 即使，引导让步状语从句 Even though/if he had got a good job, he still wants to look for a better one. 即使他找到了一份好的工作，他还想找更好的。 7. I?d like to come up to your apartment。我想去你的公寓。 come up 上来，走近，被提出，发芽 (2) 与具体数字连用，用 nearly
Strangers came up to him and asked how much his books are.陌生人走到他面前，问他课本值多少钱。 The problem came up in the meeting. 问题在会议中被提出来了。 5. It was based more on German than present than the English we speak at present. 当时的英语更多地以德语为基础，而我们今天所说的英语不是。 (1)abase on/upon… 以??为基础
This movie is based on facts. (2)present (adj) 目前的、现在的
You should look clearly the present situation. 6. Shakespeare made use of a wider vocabulary than ever before. 莎士比亚使用了比以前更为广泛的词汇量。 make (good/full/no…) use of 使用
We could make good use of our resources.
Page 3 of 9
Every minute should be made good use of. 7. India has a very large number of fluent English speakers. 印度有很多的人讲流利的英语。 a number of 大量的（其后谓语动词用复数） A number of people have came. the number of ??的数目（其后谓语动词用单数） The number of homeless people has increased. 只能修饰可数名词的： a large/ great/ good number of, a good/ great many, dozens of, scores of, quite a few 只能修饰不可数名词的： a great deal of, a large amount of, quite a little, a large sum of 既可修饰可数也可修饰不可数名词的： plenty of, a lot of, lots of, a large quantity of 8. Only time will tell. 时间会证明一切。 tell: 知道，判断 It?s hard to tell whether he is right. tell A from B: 区分，分别 Can you tell Tom from his twin brother? 练一练： 单项填空 Step3 Exercises 1. ____ number of students taking part in the training is 450. A. A B. The C. A lot D. Lots
2. Sometimes _____ English is quite different from ____ English in many ways. A. speaking; writing B. speaking; written C spoken; written D. spoken; writing
3. Using body language____ a proper way will help communicate ___ others ___ better. A. in, with, even Keys: 1-3 BAA Period 3 复习 把下列直接引语改为间接引语)
Page 4 of 9
B. in, with, more
C. with, with, still
D. with, in, most
（1）He said, “I?ve left my pen in my room.” → He told me that he had left his book in his room. （2）She said: “He will be busy.” → She said that he would be busy. （3）She said to Tom, “Can you help me?” → She asked Tom if/whether he could help her. Revise the rules. 1. 陈述句的间接引语—连接词用 that，在口语中可省略。引述动词用 said, told,等。例如： He said: “I?ve left my book in my room.” → He told me that he had left his book in his room. 2. 疑问句的间接引语。一般疑问句后连接词用 if 或 whether，而引述选择疑问句时只能用 whether，引述 动词用 asked，没有间接引语的可以加一个间接宾语 me, him 等。例如： She said to Tom, “Can you help me?” → She asked Tom if /whether he could help her. 3. 特殊疑问句用原句中的疑问词作连接词，改为陈述语序。例如： The teacher asked, “how did you repair it?” → The teacher asked me how I had repaired it. 4.如何变时态： 直接引语在改为间接引语时、 时态需要做相应的调整。 现在时它需改为过去时态； 过去时态改为完成时； 过去完成时则保留原来的时态。例如： She said, "I have lost a pen.“ → She said she had lost a pen. 但要注意在以下几种情况下。在直接引语变为间接引语时，时态一般不变化。 1) 直接引语是客观真理。 "The earth moves around the sun and the moon moves around the earth,” the teacher told me. → The teacher told me the earth moves around the sun and the moon moves around the earth。 2) 直接引语中有具体的过去某年、某月、某日作状语，变为间接引语时，时态不变。如： Xiao Wang said. "I was born on April 2l, 1980." → Xiao Wang said he was born on April 20, 1980. 5. 如何变状语： 直接引语变间接引语，状语变化有其内在规律，时间状语由“现在”改为“原来”。 例：now 变为 then, yesterday 变为 the day before, today 变为 that day。地点状语，尤其表示方向性的，或 用指示代词修饰的状语，由“此”改为“彼” 例：this 改为 that,如： He said, "These books are mine." → He said those books were his. 要素三：祈使句的间接引语—采用“动词+宾语+不定式”结构。told/asked/ordered sb.(not) to do sth. 如果祈使句是表示请求，间接引语的动词常用 ask，如果是表示命令，间接引语的动词常用 tell，order, command 等。例如: 1. The teacher said to the students, “Don?t waste your time.” → The teacher told the students not to waste their time.
Page 5 of 9
直接引语如果是以“Let?s”开头的祈使句，变为间接引语时，通常用“suggest + 动句词（或从句） Do exercises 1. “Please close the window,” he said to me. He ______ me _____ the window. A. said to; to close B. told to; closing C. asked ; to close D. said to; please close
2. He said, “Don?t do that again.” He _____ me _______ that again. A. said to me; not to do B. said to me; don?t do C. told me; don?t do D. told me; not to do
3.“Don?t put it on my hat.” his wife said to him. His wife told him ___ put it on ___ hat. A. don?t, his Keys: 1-3 CDC Homework 1. Finish Page 50 in Workbook. 2. Make up a dialogue with your partner One use direct speech, the other use indirect speech. And act it out next class. Period 4 I. Teaching aims (1) Get more information on English dialect. (2) How to help students improve listening skill. II. Teaching important point Understand the listening material. III. How to improve listening skill. (1) Listen and find out how many people are speaking and who they are. (2) What does Buford think of Texas? How do you know? (3) How large was the catfish? (4) Why did Lester get out of the water very quickly? (5) Why did Buford and Big Bob laugh? (6) Who is the second speaker and where is she from? Listening P48 Listening P51 (1) What do you think you will hear in their introduction?(2)The name of each student?s country.
Page 6 of 9
B. don?t, her
C. not to, his
D. not to, her
Homework Look up the words left in the vocabulary in the dictionary. Period 5 Step 1 Pre-reading
Period 5 Using Language
1. China is a very big country where different dialects are spoken. Can you list some of them? 2. Is there anybody who can speak a dialect from other place? Step 2. Reading (1) (2) Words Reading
1. Why are there so many dialects in the US? 2. What?s the standard English? 3. Can you tell an interesting or funny story that shows great difference between dialects in Chinese/English? Language points 1. What?s standard English? 什么是标准英语? standard meet standard standard of living on a standard (n)标准,规格 符合标准 生活水平 根据某一标准 (adj)标准的
2. Believe it or not ,there?s no such a thing as standard English. 信不信由你,世界上没有所谓的标准英语. believe it or not 信不信由你
3. However, even on TV and radio you will hear differences in the way people speak. 然而，甚至在电视上或收音机里都会听到人们在说话时的差异。 the way 后面接定语从句时，关系代词用 that/in which 或不用关系代词。 4. America has many dialects, especially the midwestern, southern, African American and Spanish dialects. 美国有很多方言，尤其是在中西部，南部，北美洲和西班牙等地的方言。 especially 尤其 specially 专门(指专为某一目的)
I go to visit him specially, especially in the busy days. 5. Geography also plays a part in making dialects. 地理位置对方言的产生也有影响. play a (adj) part
Page 7 of 9
6. Although many America move a lot, they still recognize each other?s dialects.虽然许多美国人经常搬家,但 他们仍然能够辨认彼此的方言. recognize 辨认，认出(pick out) 把??认作??
recognize sth./sb. as sth./sb.
Drugs were not recognized as a problem then. Homework Step 4. Reading in Page 51 1. Review the words and language points we have learnt in this unit. 2. Translation (1) 他们已经请求国际援助。 (2) 带着有礼貌的微笑,她走了出去。 (3) 他出去工作了半年,因为有病没能结束工作就回来了。 (4) 他喜欢发号施令,但没有人愿意听他的。 Period6 Writing and summary I. Teaching aims
Period 6 I (1) Train writing skills. (2) Show brainstorming and write a passage. (3) Review the whole unit. II. Teaching important and difficult point How to improve students? writing skill. III. Teaching procedures
Step1. Greeting Step2. Writing (1) Brainstorm ? ? ? ? share ideas with others; decide which are the best ideas; make a list of those ideas; put those ideas into a map so that you can easily see them;
Page 8 of 9
use the map to help you as you write. Write a composition after class using the way brainstorming My experience of learning English
Step3.Summary (1) (2) The difference between American English and British English. Do some exercises about words, phrases and grammar.
Step4. Homework 1. Finish the composition. 2. Review this unit.
Page 9 of 9