人教课标版 高二 必修5
1. occupation n. 1) 工作, 职业 Please state your name, address, and occupation. I hope that teaching will be my future occupation. 2) 业余活动, 消遣 Fishing is a peaceful occupation.
She was born in France during the
＜知识拓展＞ occupant n. 占有人, 占有者 occupational adj. 职业的, 职业引起的 occupy v. 占领,占有,使从事,使忙于
2. Now discuss in pairs how you would feel if you were offered a job on a famous newspaper. 这里if 引导虚拟条件句, 表示与将来的事
相关时态 表现在 表过去
从句形式 过去式 had+ Ved ①过去式
主句形式 would/could/should /might + V 原 would/could/should /might + have done would/could/should
原③were to +V 原
/might + V 原
? If you had come earlier, you would
have met him.
? If I were you, I would go there at once. ? If it were to rain tomorrow, they would
not go out.
3. Never will Zhou Yang forget his first assignment at the office of a popular local newspaper. 这里是倒装(Inversion), 此句的正常句序是: Zhou Yang will never forget his first assignment at the office of …. 注意: 当一些否定词, 如: never, little, hardly, scarcely, seldom, not, not only, no sooner放在 句首时, 句子部分倒装, 即句序为: 否定词＋ 助动词＋主语＋谓语
Maybe you have been to many countries,
but nowhere else can you find such a
beautiful place. (否定词nowhere置于句首, 对句子结构 进行部分倒装) I finally got the job I dreamed about. Never in my life had I felt so happy. (否定词never置于句首,对句子结构进 行部分倒装）
Never in my wildest dreams _____ these
people are living in such poor conditions.
A. I could imagine B. could I imagine
C. I couldn’t imagine D. couldn’t I imagine [点拨] 选B。表示否定意义的词如never, hardly, seldom等位于句首时，句子要部分 倒装。
4. His discussion with his new boss, Hu Xin, was to strongly influence his life as a journalist. be to +动词原形, 这里表示将来的时态, 有注定的意味。 He is never to see his wife again. His continuous effort is to make him a successful man.
be to +动词原形可以表示一种责任, 需 要, 警告或命令的语气。 You are to be back before 10pm. I am to inform you that your wife was killed in the accident.
be to +动词原形也可以表示一种不会 改变的安排或意向。
They are to be married next month.
The conference is to be held on March
否定形式be (not) to +动词原形表示 一种可能性。 The lost child was not to be found. He was not to come on time.
n.影响力;有影响力的人或事 5. influence v.影响(某人)对…起作用 influential adj. 有影响力的
The influence of parents is very important. It’s very clear that her painting has been influenced by Picasso. I don’t want to influence you, so I don’t want to tell you my opinion.
6. delighted: very pleased and happy delighted to do something Sandy will be delighted to see you. delighted (that) I’m delighted that we have settled the matter. delighted with/by/at She was delighted with her new home. I am delighted by the result. Andrea was delighted at the chance to go to the ballet ball.
7. assistant adj. 助理的；副的 e.g. assistant manager / director / cook / professor / journalist etc. assistant n. (C) : someone who helps someone else in their work, especially by doing the less important jobs e.g. a sales / shop assistant e.g. Hughes, who was Mott's assistant, will now become head coach. e.g. Lydia is the assistant to the Director of Finance.
8. put sb. …to sb.: to arrange for someone
to follow sb., or to make sb. go to a place e.g. Remember to put the children to bed at 8 o’clock. put sb. up to sth.: to encourage someone to do something stupid or dangerous e.g. 'Did Shirley put you up to this?'
'No, it was my own idea.'
9. Not till you are more experienced. 等你积累一些经验了才行。 experienced adj. 有经验的, 熟练的, 有 见识经验丰富的常与介词in或at连用 e.g. She has become quite experienced at / in teaching primary school students. He is experienced in/at bargaining.
experience 1) v. 经历, 体验
Have you experienced real hunger?
Our country has experienced great
CN 经历, 经历的事情 UN 经验, 体验
Please tell us your experiences while in Africa. 经历 That was an unpleasant experience. 经历 He hadn’t enough experience for the job. I know from the experience that he will be late. 经验
10. Later you can cover a story and submit the article yourself.
1) cover v. 采访, 报道 Journalists are soon sent to cover the terrible attack / cover the local election. v. 覆盖, 遮掩 2/3 of the earth is covered with water. He laughed to cover his nervousness.
v. 包括, 涉及
His lecture covered the subject thoroughly.
He made a research that covers a wide field. n. 盖子, 避难所, 书刊封面 I bought the book only for its cover. We took cover/sheltered under a tree. They escaped under the cover of darkness.
2) submit v. 提交, 呈递 ? submit (that) He submits only that it is not Washington that should do the helping. ? submit an application /claim/proposal … All applications must be submitted by Monday. ? 屈服, 顺从 They submitted an essay to the pressure.
11. No need for a camera. 此句是省略句, 原句为: There is no need for a camera. <拓展＞ There is no need (for sb.) to do sth. 没有必要做某事情 There is no need to worry about money. There is no need to be in such a hurry.
12. professional adj. 职业的,专业的, 从事 职业的 I can’t imagine he is a professional
I want to be a professional journalist.
professional team / standards / advice
profession n. occupation requiring advanced education and special training e.g. She is a lawyer by profession. e.g. The acting is a good profession at the moment.
13. eager adj. full of strong desire to do sth. Students are eager for new knowledge. He is eager in his studies. I am eager about progress. She is eager to please her boss. eagerness n. 热切, 渴望
14. concentrate on (doing) sth.
His whole mind was concentrated on one thing--- how to pass the exam. I can’t concentrate on my studies with all that noise going on.
2) 聚集, 集中
The troops concentrated near the station. The crowds concentrated in the centre of the city.
15. Not only am I interested in photography,
but I took an amateur course at
university to update my skills.
Not only…but also引导的并列句, 如not
only位于句首, not only 所在句倒装。 Not only will I go, but also I will take my parents there.
16. amateur adj. 业余的→(反) professional 专业的 ? an amateur orchestra ? amateur dramatics n. (C) someone who does an activity just for pleasure, not as their job ? Compared to those guys, I’m an amateur. ? The cast was made up mostly of amateurs. ? The orchestra is made up entirely of amateurs.
17. course n. 课程; 过程; 一道菜 An event that changed the course of history 改变历史进程的事件 a four-course dinner 有四道菜的正餐
18. update v. to make sth more modern by adding new parts, etc. 现代化, 更新 It’s about time we updated our software. 我们的软件应该更新了。
19. skill n. (C/U): an ability to do something
well, especially because you have learned
and practised it
and writing are two different
? Many ? Being
jobs today require computer skills. a good manager requires a number
of highly specialized skills.
skilled adj.: good at something because you have experience or training有能力的; 有经验的; 训练过的 ? (反) unskilled ? The company is fortunate to have such highly skilled workers. ? Many Silicon Valley companies are growing so fast, they are eager to build a skilled high-tech workforce.
skillful adj. having or showing skill
were highly professional and very
give him instruction in safe and
evolution has made the human
species more sensitive to its environment and more skillful in dealing with it.
20. acquire v. gain or get by one’s effort
acquisition n. 获得, 习得, 获得物
I managed to acquire two tickets for the concert. The company has acquired a new office building in Guangzhou.
The acquisition of a second language is
different from learning it.
He is a valuable acquisition to the firm. 他是公司不可多得(宝贵的)人才。 注意:不要把 acquire (获得, 学到)和
inquire (询问, 问明, 查究)混淆
21. have a nose for 有探究和发现事物的能力 He has a sharp nose for others’ trouble. Experienced teachers often have
sharp noses for students’ problems.
<拓展> have an eye for 很能鉴赏(判断);对…感兴趣 He has an eye for beauty, so he has an eye for color and style in clothes too.
22. assess v. to make a judgment about a person or situation after thinking carefully about it ? synonym(同义词): judge ? The technique is being tried in classrooms to assess what effects it may have. ? Psychologists (心理学家们) will assess the child's behavior. ? The booklet aims to help parents assess recent educational changes.
23. inform v formally or officially tell someone about something or give them information inform somebody about/of something ? Please inform us of any change of address as soon as possible. inform somebody (that) ? We regret to inform you that your application has been rejected.
24. miss v. not do sth. / fail to do sth. ? I’m absolutely starving — I missed lunch. ? He missed 20 games after breaking a bone in his wrist. ? She was upset at missing all the excitement. miss doing something ? He had missed being elected by a single vote.
25. deadline n a date or time by which you have to do or complete something deadline for ? The deadline for applications is May 27th. deadline of ? It has to be in before the deadline of July 1st. meet /miss a deadline (= have or not have something finished on time) ? working under pressure to meet a deadline
26. Meanwhile you have to prepare the next question depending on what the person says. adv. (meantime, at the same time, in the time between two events)期间, 同时 She is due to arrive on Friday. Meanwhile, what should we do? 她预定星期五到达, 这期间我们做什么 好呢？
27. accused…of 控告; 控诉 to accuse sb of murder/theft. 控告某人谋杀/盗窃 28. so as to 以便 The test questions are kept secret, so as to prevent cheating.
29. sceptical adj. tending to disagree with
what other people tell you
sceptically adv. sceptical about/of I’m extremely sceptical about what I read in the press. Environmental groups are sceptical of
the government's claims.
30. dilemma n. an extremely difficult or complicated problem
a moral dilemma 道德（方面的）两 难（问题） in a dilemma 处于两难中 I’m in a dilemma about this job offer.
? ? ?
This placed Robert Kennedy in a
women are faced with the
dilemma of choosing between work and family commitments.
is a common dilemma: Should you
stay where you have friends and family,
or take that good job in a far-away city?
31. demand v to ask for something very firmly, especially because you think you have a right to do this demand sth. of sb. ? Some children demand too much of their parents. (同义词) require; need ? This sorts of work demands great patience.
demand that (从句中should可省略) ? He demands that he be told /demands to be told everything. ? They demanded that the military government free all political prisoners. demand to know / see / have sth. ? He kept demanding to know how it got there.
I. 根据句意，选择适当的词填空。 1. profession; professional; professor professor in Jilin a. He was a famous _________ University. profession of doctor b. He took up the __________ when he was 30. professional expert to c. You need a ___________ direct your paper.
2. technique; technical; technically a. The book is too technical ________ for general readers.
b. This kind of material is produced
technique using a traditional _________. Technically the building is a c. ___________, masterpiece, but few people like it.
3. gift; gifted gift a. He has a ____ for music. gifted b. He is ______ in singing and dancing. 4. thorough; through Through a. _______ the kitchen window, I saw
the mailman walking up to the house.
b. Researchers have to be very ________ thorough to make sure the results are accurate.
5. colleague; college colleague of a. I’d like to introduce a _________ mine, David from our office. college b. My brother never went to ______, but he still has a very good job. 6. concentrate; concentration a. I can’t concentrate __________ on my studies with so much noise going on. b. The tennis players need total _____________ concentration during play.
7. course; cause
a. Breast cancer is the leading ______ cause of
death for American women in their
b. All people applying for driving licenses are required to take a driving ______. course
8. record; recorder recorder a. She took her Sony tape _________ out of her bag and placed it down. b. According to your medical _______, records
you had an operation five years ago.
II. 根据括号内所给的提示将下列句子翻 译成英语。 1. 我们必须致力于改进教育工作。 (concentrate ... on) We must concentrate our efforts on improving education.
3. 他被派去报道那次会议的有关情况。 (cover) He was sent to cover that meeting. 4. 那本书找不到了。(be to do) The book was not to be found. 5. 只有当你经历了很多磨难后, 你才知 道幸福的可贵。(only if) Only if you experience much hardship
can you value the happiness.
He is accused of murder and sentenced to death. 7. 为了占到好座位，我和玛丽很早就去
了。(so as to) Mary and I went early so as to get
supposed to) I thought we were supposed to get
movie tickets today.
9. 在场的所有人都认为他没有说实话。 (tell the truth) All the people present thought he didn’t tell the truth.