1. Do you know the stages every inventor must go through before they can have their invention approved? go through
Most families went through a lot in the war.
(2) 通过, 成功, 成交 The plan did not go through. (3) 审阅, 检查 I can’t go though the letters in an hour. (4) 翻找, 查看 Mother went through the drawer for her glasses.
(5) 穿过, 通过 A terrible noise went through the house. read through 通读 look through 浏览 flow through 流过 get through 通过, 接通,使….成功 search through 搜寻, 查找
2. do research on /into /in... 从事, 进行, 做研究 They are carrying out a research into the causes of cancer. research可作可数名词和不可数名词,
3. call up 打电话，使......回忆起 I’ll call you up tonight (call sb. /ring sb. up ) The old photo calls up memories of my childhood. (recall sth.) call for 需要, 要求 call back 回电话，召唤某人回来 call in 邀请, 请来 call on/at 拜访 (call on后跟人作宾语， call at后跟地点名词作宾语 )
---Can I do the job? ---I’m afraid not, because it ___ skill and patience. A. calls on B. calls out C. calls up D. calls for call on drop in on pay a visit to + sb. 拜访某人 go on a visit to visit
call at drop in at
pay a visit +sp. to go on a visit to
4. now and then 有时, 偶尔
I see them now and then, but not often.
I used to call people ___, from the
moment I woke up to the time I went to
sleep. A. now and then C. at home B. all the time D. at work
from time to time 有时；不时 (every) now and again 时而；不时 from now on 从现在开始，今后 just now 刚才 since then 从那时以来
5. Here was a chance for me to distinguish myself by inventing something that would catch snakes but not harm them. 这回我有机会表现一下自己了，我 要发明一个既能捉住蛇又不会伤害 它们的东西。
distinguish 辨别, 区别 I can’t distinguish the twins, they are so alike. distinguish…from =distinguish between … and … 把…...与…...加以分开 Can you distinguish between those two objects?你能区分那两个物体吗？ Children should be taught to distinguish right from wrong. 应当教育孩子分辨好坏。
distinguish oneself 显扬自己,使自己扬名 He’s distinguished himself as a teacher. 作为老师，他早已负有盛名。 The man distinguish himself by his wisdom. 这个人因智慧而扬名。 tell the differences between … and …= tell …from… 把......与......区分开
distinction n. 区别, 差异 distinctive adj. 有特色的, 与众不同的 distinct adj. 截然不同的 distinguishable adj. 区别得出的, 辨认得出的
6. The first thing I tried to do was to
see if there were products that
might help me, but there only
seemed to be powders designed to kill snakes.
在there be结构中, be的人称与数应遵 循就近一致原则 There was a bucket of water and two chairs in the corner of the house. There were two chairs and a bucket of water in the corner of the house.
辨析: there be与have
there be 强调某处有某物; have 强调某人有某物指为人所拥有 There is a book on the desk. I have a book. seem的归纳总结 1)seem +to be +形容词/名词/介词短语/分词
Something seemed to be wrong with
You seemed to be in a great hurry.
The first memories seemed to be
connected with work.
2)seem 构成的句式: It seems that... It seems as if/ as though... There seems (to be )…. It seems that everyone was satisfied. It seems as if you are the first one here. There seems (to be) no reason for believing him.
seem 表示有某种根据的判断, 这种判断
好像”, 有时暗含“事实上并非如此”之 意。 look 强调视觉上的印象。 It appears a true story.
He looks a perfect fool.
Do let your mother know all the truth. She appears ____everything. (2001上海)
B. to be told D. to have been told
C. to be telling
7. I set about researching the habits
of snakes so I could tap them in
the easiest way.
set about (doing) sth. 开始, 着手
The sooner we set about it , the
sooner we’ll finish.
We set about cleaning up the mess. set out to do sth.开始做某事 set out (for) 出发,启程 set off (for)=leave for出发, 动身 set aside 留出, 对…不予以考虑 set down 记下, 写下 set up 设置, 造成, 产生
On receiving the assignment, we___ at once. A. set to work B. set out to work C. get down to work D. all the above
habit: out of habit 出于习惯 be in the habit 有…...的习惯 break the habit 改掉…...的习惯 develop/form the habit of 养成…...习惯
的行为、风俗 practice 指惯例, 也指商业或者法律上 的常规做法。
8. Between the outside and inside
walls of the bowl there is some jelly,
which freezes hard when cooled.
when cooled 的构成：连词+过去分
词, 相当于when 引导的状语从句:
when it is cooled.
Bear them in your mind!
Don’t speak until ( you are ) spoken to.
While unfinished, he was ugly, but now he
was a living horror.
While unfinished,... =While he was unfinished
在分词来代替; 原句为被动结构时候, 用
Be careful when crossing the street.
When __ help, one often says “thank you” or “ it’s kind of you”. A. offering B. to offer C. to be offered D. offered 9. They abruptly disappeared into a convenient hole in the wall. 它们突然一下子就消失在墙壁附近的 洞里去了。
abruptly adv. 突然地，唐突地 ,意外地， 比suddenly的意外程度强。 abrupt adj.突然的；意外的 这路有很多急转弯。 The road is full of ____________. abrupt turns 这会议突然结束了。 The meeting came to an ____________. abrupt end 我们的讨论突然给缩短了。 Our discussion was abruptly _______ curtailed.
10. convenient adj. 方便的，便利的 be convenient to It is convenient for sb.对某人方便 It is convenient to do sth.做某事方便 警示: convenient 不能以人作主语。 This dishwasher is very convenient to me. Will it be convenient for you to start work tomorrow? It’s convenient to have a supermarket nearby.
Choose the correct answer:
1) Come and see me whenever ___. A. you are convenient B. you will be convenient C. it is convenient to you
D. it will be convenient to you
2) If it is quite __ to you, I’ll visit you next Tuesday. A. convenient B. fair
11. Only after you have had that
recognition can you say that you are truly
an inventor. 只有你得到这种承认, 你才
Only by working hard can we pass the
12. Nor will you receive a patent until a
search has made to find out that
your product really is different from
以否定词no, not, neither, nor, never,
hardly, seldom, little等开头的句子, 句
Never can you pass the exam if you
don’t devote yourself to your study.
Little did I know what was about to happen.
13. bear (bore, borne)忍受; 带有, 具有
I couldn’t bear to listen any longer, so
I left the room.
bear doing 表示习惯性动作
bear to do sth. 表示一次具体动作
14. mess n.杂乱,脏东西 v.无所事事, 混日子,胡闹 There is a lot of mess to clear up. This room is in mess. Stop messing about and tell me clearly what happened. in a mess 杂乱、混乱 make a mess of 使…成一团糟、破坏 mess up 打乱、搞糟 mess about / around 无所事事、鬼混
15. be used to do 被用来做…
be used as 被用作…
used to do sth.过去常常做…
be/ get used to (doing) sth.
Bamboo is used to make paper.
The watch will be used as a
birthday present to Kate.
Jim is used to get up very early
in the morning.
I’m not used to the school life.