? . You will be given 7 sentences picked out in the passage, you are required to answer the questions given under each sentence. ? .
? 1. Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face. (Line 1) ? 思考：句中包含一个什么从句？ ? 2. Not that Charlie’s own life was easy! (Line 5) ? 思考：请翻译此句并翻译：这并不是说他没 有幽默感。 ? 3. You may find it astonishing that Charlie was taught to sing as soon as he could speak and dance as soon as he could walk. （Line 6） ? 思考：请翻译此句。
? 4. Unfortunately, his father died, leaving the family even worse off. (Line 9) ? 思考：leaving 这个现在分词在句中作什么 成分？你能仿造一个句子用到leaving的这 种用法吗？
? 5. The tramp, a poor, homeless man with a moustache, wore large trousers, wornout shoes and a small round black hat. (Line 15) ? 思考：请分析此句的成分。
? 6. Like so many others, the little tramp and his friend have rushed there in search of gold, but without success. (Line 23) ? 思考：请翻译此句并用in search of 造句。
? 7. Charlie first picks out the laces and eats them as if they were spaghetti. (Line 27) ? 思考：请翻译此句并用as if 造句。
Summarize the main idea of the passage:
Charlie Chaplin was born in a poor _____family in 1889, but he became popular through his________. He brightened ___________the humour lives of Americans and British through two world wars and the hard years. His charming character “the little tramp” was a poor _________ and homeless person ,but was loved by all the people for _________ his determination in overcoming difficulties. In the film ______________ The Gold Rush, Chaplin managed to make the sad entertaining situation _____________by eating a boiled shoe. Such is Charlie Chaplin who wrote, directed , and _________ produced the movies that he _________in,recieved a starred special Oscar for his _____________work in films. outstanding
1. content 1) adj. 满足的，满意的；2)vt. 使满足;
3) n.目录 4）n. 所含之物;内容;所容纳的东西; 1. She is content/satisfied with the job. 2. The content of the book is on Page 1. 3. I will show you the content of my bag. 4. I content myself with a glass of coffee everyday.
be content /satisfied with sth /sb; 对…满意 be content to do sth 做某事感到满意 你对你的工作满意吗？ Are you content with your work? 她呆在家里照顾孩子, 感到非常满足.V-ing伴随状语 She is quite content to stay at home looking after her children.
2. I find it astonishing that Charlie was taught to sing……
真正宾语 1.find it adj./n. for sb to do 发现做(某事) 很…… 2. find it adj. /n.that 发现做(某事)很…… 1. 她发现学好英语是很重要的。 She found it very important to learn English well. 2. 我们发现一些鸟不能飞，这很有趣。
We found it interesting that some birds cannot fly.
宾语补足语可以是：1）名词， 2）形容词，3） 省to不定式，4）过去分词 5）介词6)现在分词
Make yourself comfortable. He made them work hard.
形容词 省to不定式 过去分词 介词
I made myself understood.
I made him outside the room.
She made his son studying all day. 现在分词
A lot of exercise made him a strong boy.名词
3. astonish vt. 使惊异；使大为吃惊。 astonish sb. 使某人惊奇 这个消息令大家惊讶。 The news astonished him. = It astonished him to hear the news. 听到这消息，他大吃一惊
我被那些巨大的声响吓了一跳。 I was astonished at/to hear the loud sound. 他出现在宴会上，使我们感到惊讶。 We were astonished that he appeared at the party.
be astonished at sth.对……感到惊讶
be astonished to do sth.对做……感到惊讶 be astonished that 从句 对……感到惊讶 astonished adj.感到吃惊的 astonishing adj.令人吃惊的 (3)astonishment n．惊讶 to one’s astonishment使某人惊讶的是 in astonishment 吃惊地
(1)That he passed the English test ____________________ (使每个人都感到惊讶)． astonished everyone (2)______________________ They were all astonished (他们全都很惊 讶)to hear China won 51 gold medals in the Beijing Olympics. To our astonishment (3)__________________(使我们吃惊的是)，he actually arrived punctually.
(4)He _____________________________ (吃惊地看着老师)when he heard the news. (5)There was an astonished look (惊讶的 ______________ 表情)on his face.
looked at his teacher in astonishment
4. badly off 穷的；缺少的 (1)be well off境况很好，富裕 be better off 境况较好 be worse off更穷的 (2)worse and worse越来越坏，每况愈下 go from bad to worse越来越坏，每况愈
to make matters worse＝(and)what is worse更糟糕的是……
(1)I’ve got quite a big room so ____________________(还不是太穷)． I’m not too badly off (2)The school is rather badly off for books and ____________________________________(相当缺 equipment 乏书和设备)． (3)We shouldn’t complain about being poor because many families are much ________________(更穷)． worse off (4)He lost his job last Saturday， to make matters worse，his wife was il __________________________________(而更糟的 是，他的妻子病了)．
我们不应该因为穷而叫苦连天---许多 人的家境更糟。 We shouldn’t complain about being poor ---many families are much worse off.
他们贫困得根本谈不上度假。 They are too badly off to have a holiday. 实际上现在大多数人都比五年前要富裕。 In fact most people are______ _____ ____ better off than they were five yeas ago.
5. fortunate adj.
fortunately adv. 幸运地，侥幸地 unfortunately adv. 不幸地 fortune n． 财富，运气 have good/bad fortune 运气好/不好 make a fortune发财 try one’s fortune碰运气 tell sb. one’s fortune 给人算命
be fortunate in doing 在……方面幸运 她很幸运嫁了一个好丈夫。 She is fortunate in having a good husband. be fortunate to do sth. 幸运的能做某事 我很幸运有健康的身体。 I’m fortunate to have good health.
It is fortunate that… ……是幸运的 说来幸运，他被恰好驶过的船救起。 It was fortunate that he was saved by the passing boat.
(1)He had ________________ (致富)in oil. made a fortune (2)She had good fortune to escape injury ______________________________(非常幸运地 免于受伤)． fortunate in having a good wife (3)I am ____________________________(很 幸运有个好妻子)． It was fortunate (4)______________ (所幸的是)that nobody was hurt in the accident. (5)After graduation，I went to Shenzhen ______________ fortune(碰运气)． to try my
6.convince vt. 使确信，使信服，使认识 convincing adj.令人信服的；有说服力的 convinced adj.确信的；深信的；坚信的 convince sb. of sth. 说服某人相信某事 convince sb. that... 使某人信服(相信) be convinced of... 确信?? be/feel firmly convinced that... 确信；笃信； 坚信??
convinced of (1)We finally ____________ them ______ our adventure. convinced to believe ＝We finally ___________ them ____________ our adventure.
convinced (2)Her smile ___________ him ______ she was happy. that
were convinced the (3)They __________________of result of the experiment
am convinced of (4)I __________________ his guilt.
that ________he is guilty. (5)There is now ____________ evidence that smoking convincing
causes lung cancer.现有令人信服的证据说吸烟能导致肺癌。
? 7 failure n.失败；失败者 ? a. a person or a thing that fails ? 如：她说她是一个失败的经理。 ? She said she was a failure as a manager. ? b. lack of success失败；不成功。如： ? 如：我所有的努力都以失败告终。 All of my efforts ended in failure. 8. overcome --- overcame--- overcome
如：He overcame a bad habit.
短语：be overcome with/by… 被（悲哀、恐怖等）打 倒， 因为……而崩溃/垮掉。
9. mouthful n. 一口 -ful是一个后缀，加在名词之后，表示“充 满的”。例如： 他喝了一口苦药，扮了个鬼脸。 He took a mouthful of the bitter medicine and made a face. 一把 a handful of an armful of 一抱 a basketful of 一篮 a bucketful of 一桶
10. Chaplin wrote, directed, and produced the films he starred in. 卓别林自制、自导、自编一些他自演的电影。
? 1) direct a. adj. 直的；直线的；直达的
There is no direct train from here to Taiyuan. ? 2) direct b. adj. 坦白的；率直的。
他给我率直的回答。 He gave me a direct answer. ? 3) direct c. vt. 导演。
The film was directed by Li An.
11. homeless adj. 无家可归的 helpless 无力的，无计可施的； 无助的，无依无靠的 careless 粗心的，轻率的 childless 没有儿女的 harmless 无害的，无损害的； 没有恶意的，无邪的 ceaseless 不断的，不停的 countless 数不尽的，无数的 tireless 不会疲倦的，不知疲倦的，
12〃pick out 选出；选拔；分辨出；领会
pick on 选择(某人或某物)作受罚(挨骂、干不愉快的
工作)的对象 pick up 拾起，捡起；收拾，整理；得到；学会； 用车接某人；收听到；身体好转 pick off 摘下，摘掉；逐个地(或有选择地)瞄准射中
[考例] It was so dark in the cinema that I could hardly ___ my friend. (四川2007) A. turn out B. bring out C. call out D. pick out [点拨] 本题考查短语辨析。pick out辨认 出；turn out结果是；bring out 拿出； call out叫出。
pick out, pick up
Pick up 1) ________ your room before you go out. pick out 2) We could just __________ a car in the distance.
This picture was taken a long time ago. I wonder if you can ____ my father. B A. find out B. pick out C. look out D. speak out
find out (通过研究、努力)发现, 找出； look out 向外看, 当心, 注意； speak out 大声且清楚地说出。 只有pick out意思合适。
[即学即练11](1)Let me ____________ some good pick out ones for you.让我来替你挑几个好的。 (2)It's easy to __________________ in a crowd pick him out because he is very tall. 很容易从人群中辨认出他，因为他个子很高。 picks up (3)The bus ____________ passengers outside the
1) They cut off the electricity without notice. B. 切断 2) Julia had been completely cut off by all her family. C. 断绝关系 3) He cut off a length of ribbon from the whole roll. A. 切掉
13〃cut off 切掉，割掉，分离，隔离(常跟 from)，
cut across 抄近路穿过；对直穿过
cut away 切掉，剪掉；逃走，跑开 cut down 砍倒；(疾病等)夺去生命；削减，缩短； 毁灭，破坏 cut in 插嘴；突然插入 cut into halves/pieces 切成两半/切碎 cut out 切掉；删掉
cut up 切碎，切掉；使丧气，使痛心
9．选用上述词语填空 cut out (1)She ________________ the photo from the newspaper and glued it to her diary. (2)They didn’t know why their water supply was cut off ________________. cut down (3)We can’t ________________ our expenses any further. cut up vegetables. (4)This machine is used to ________
I was just talking to Margaret when A Jackson _______. A. cut in
C. cut out
B. cut down
D. cut up
He was in hospital for six months. He B felt as if he were ______ from the outside world. A. cut out B. cut off C. cut up D. cut through
1〃As Victor Hugo once said, “Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face”， and up_to_now_nobody has been able to do this better_than Charlie Chaplin. 维克多·雨果曾经说过，“笑容如阳光，驱走 人们脸上的冬天”。关于这一点，直到今天 也没有人能比查理·卓别林做得更好。
①As all his friends agree, he was unusually warm－ hearted, loving and generous. 正如他所有的朋友都认为的那样，他非常热心、可
② I am as you can imagine short enough of money.
(2)up to now 意为“迄今；到现在为止”，是多用 于现在完成时的时间状语，常可与 until now, by now, so far 互换。
①Up to now, about 30 foreign companies have set
up branches in this developing zone.
设立了分公司。 ②They have raised more than $1 000 000 for this project up to now/until now/so far. 到目前为止，他们已经为这个项目筹集到一百多万 美元了。
(3)．..nobody has been able to do this better than Charlie Chaplin. 当形容词或副词的比较级出现在否定句中时，往往 不表示否定的意义而是表示充分的肯定。 —I think students should have more of their own time. Don‘t you think so?
—I can’t agree more. (＝I completely agree.)
[即境活用1] far away?
—Shall I give you a ride as you live so
—Thank you. ______. A〃It couldn‘t be better C〃If you like B．Of course you can
D．It's up to you
答案：A 解析：It couldn't be better. “再好不过了”，相当于 It's the best.
2〃“Well, it certainly will be this morning，” the man said, “because I happen_to_be flying it！”“啊，那今天上午肯定要晚点了，”那人说，
happen to do/be 碰巧
句型 Sb. happens to do sth.可以转换成 It happens that sb. do
①When I went to see him, he happened to be away
(＝When I went to see him, it happened that he was
away on holiday.) 我去看他时，他碰巧在外度假。 ②Joseph came to borrow my skiing boards yesterday, but I happened to have lent them to my cousin last week.(＝...but it happened that I have lent them to my cousin last week.)
[即境活用2] A〃to run
When the bridge fell down, several cars B．running D．that they were running
happened ______ on it.
C〃to be running 答案：C
解析：句意：那座桥坍塌时，正巧有好几辆汽车正在上面行 驶。happen to do 中不定式根据语境可选择不同的形式。
3〃The tramp, a poor and homeless man with a
moustache, wore large trousers, worn－out shoes
and a_small_round_black_hat. 这个流浪汉，一个留
a small round black hat 中的 hat前有三个形容词做
数词(序数词、基数词)＋描绘性形容词(nice, good, interesting, beautiful...)＋特征形容词(大小、长短、 高低、形状、年龄、新旧)＋颜色形容词＋国籍、出 处＋物质、材料＋用途、类别＋中心名词。我们可
②some beautiful little red flowers 一些美丽的小红花 ③the first beautiful white Chinese military jeep 第一辆漂亮的白色中国军用吉普车
—Is it Jim who is driving the new car?
—Probably. I know he has recently bought a ______ car. A〃shiny black German B．black shiny German C〃shiny German black D．black German shiny
1. Judging from his expression, he was ________ content (content) with his work. 2. The car rushed at an _________ astonishing (astonish) speed. 3. Unfortunately (unfortunate), I hurt my ____________ leg when I fell down on the ice. 4. I’m bored (bore) with the subject _____ anyway.
5. We took pity on the ________ (home) homeless girl and took her into our house. 6. My clothes are ________ (wear out) worn out and I have to mend them. 7. There is no difficulty in the world that cannot be ________ (overcome). overcome 8. She sat there, chewing (chew) a ________ piece of gum口香糖.
9. No one has come up with a ________ convincing (convince) explanation of why this kind of animal is dying out. 10. The play was ________ (direct) by a directed very famous director. 11. The whole family were proud of his __________ (outstand) performance. outstanding 12. When he read the book a second time, he found it entertaining (entertain). ___________
so 1) He wrote _____ carelessly that it was no wonder he made such silly _____ spelling mistakes.
2) While all others thought that he so had _____ foolish a child, he never minded and loved him all the same.
3) We’ll have to take measures and make great efforts to deal with such _____ serious air and noise pollution.
1) The scientist looked as if he were a bird. _____
2) He hated the stone head as if it were _____ the ugliest最丑的 face in the world. (ugly丑陋的)
were 3) If I _____ you, I would go out another.
1) 你是否发现(find)用这种方式解决问题更容易？ Do you find it easier to solve the problem in ___________________ this way?
2) 这名护士认为(believe)帮助病人是她的职责(duty)。 The nurse believes it her duty to help the sick. _____________________________ 3) 我认为(think)不用很多记忆就能掌握(master)一门 外语是不可能(impossible)的。 __________________________________________ I think it impossible to master a foreign language without much memory work.
1. Not that I dislike the work (并非我不喜欢这工作) ______________________ but that I am not fit for it. It seemed / looked as if / though 2. ___________________________ (看起来好像)the young man had something to worry about.
3. They went into the forest in search of the lost child (寻找丢失的孩子). _____________________ 4.As time went by (随着时间的推移), he began to ______________ realize that he should have studied hard. 5. Then they married, had a child and starred in a successful television show _______________________________