Unit 2 English around the world
Words & Expressions
expression midwestern African Spanish eastern n. 语言; 表达; 表示 adj. 中西部的 adj. 非洲的; 非洲人的； 非洲语言的 adj./n
. 西班牙; 西班牙语的 adj. 东方的;东部的
southeastern northwestern recognize dialect play a part (in) Believe it or not
adj. 东南方的; 来自东南的 adj. 西北方的; 来自西北的 vt. 辨认出; 承认 n. 方言 扮演一个角色； 参与 不管你信不信; 信不信由你
Standard English and dialects
How many dialects are there in China?
Dialects family in China
Dialects in Guangdong province
粤 方 言
Do you think there are some dialects in English?
English dialects in different countries
Britain the U.S.A Canada Australia India India New Zealand New Zealand
Fast reading: Find out the topic sentences of each paragraph.
Para.1 There is no such thing as standard English. Para.2 When people use words and expressions different from the “standard language”, it is called a dialect. Para. 3 Geography also plays a part in making dialects.
1. Read para 1 and answer.
Q: In the writer’s opinion, is there
Believe it or not, there is no
such thing as standard English.
2. Read para 2-3 and complete the chart below:
What is a dialect?
Words and expressions different from the “standard language”
midwestern southern, ________ American English __________, African dialects mentioned American and ________ Spanish dialects
Why does the US have so many dialects? Can Americans understand each other?
1) People have come from all over the world. 2) Geography plays a part in… Although many Americans move a lot, they still recognize and understand each other’s dialects.
Answer the following questions.
1. How many dialects of American English have been listed in the text?
Mid-western, southern, African American, Spanish dialects.
2. Why do people from both Northwestern and Southeastern of U.S. speak with almost the same dialect?
Because when Americans moved
from one place to anther, they took their dialects with them.
3.Why are there so many dialects in American English? That’s because people have come from all over the world. And geography plays a part in making dialects.
4. According to the whole passage, which doesn’t play a part in making dialects? C A. History B. Tradition C. Age D. Geography
1.What’s standard English? 什么是标准英语? standard n. 标准, 规格 adj. 标准的 meet standard 符合标准 standard of living 生活水平 on a standard 根据某一标准 The mountains are not high ______ D world standard. A. by B. at C. to D. on
2. Believe it or not, there’s no such a
thing as standard English.
1) believe it or not 信不信由你
Believe it or not, all the people present have agreed to the plan.
2)句型: There’s no such person/ thing as sb./sth. 没有……这样的人/物等, 用于 表示某人或某物并不存在。如: 世上没有免费的午餐之类的好事。
There is no such thing as a free lunch.
①当such与a/an连用时, such要放 在a/an前面. John is such a clever boy. ②当such与all, no, one, some, any 等词连用时, such应放在这些词的 后面。One such dictionary is enough. ③当名词前有few, little, much, many 修饰时, 只能用so 来修饰, 不能用such。 e.g. There are so many good books.
3. expect vt. (理所当然)期望, 预料, 认为, 预期 expect sb to do sth expect +that-clause expect sth expect to do sth I expect so. 我想是这样。
I expect not. I don’t expect so.
4. However, on TV and the radio you will hear differences in the way people speak. 然而, 甚至在电视上或收音机里都会 听到人们在说话时的差异。 the way后面接定语从句时, 关系代词 用that/in which或不用关系代词。如: I did it in the way that/in which/不填 you taught me.
I don’t like ____ A you speak to her. A. the way B. the way in that
C. the way which
D. the way of which
5. American English has many dialects, especially the midwestern,
southern, African American and
中西部, 南部, 黑人和西班牙方言。
especially 尤其, 表达事物不寻常或
specially 专门 (指专为某一目的) Our garden is beautiful, especially in autumn. I came here specially to see you.
African a. 非洲的 In the new African countries the governments are trying to provide education for adults. n. 非洲人 Fish is a staple in the diet of many Africans. Spanish a.西班牙的 a Spanish dance n. 西班牙语 Do you speak Spanish?
6. Geography also plays a part in making dialects. 地理位置对方言的产生也有影响。 play a/an +adj.+ part 扮演……角色, 起……作用 take (on)/perform a role 扮演角色 hand out roles 分派任务(角色) a leading/starring role 主角 e.g. She played a leading part in the play.
His parents played a part in his success. 他的成功有他父母的因素在内。 Her suggestions play a very important part in our decision-making. 她的建议 在我们的决定中起了很重要的作用。 He has played all kinds of roles in his life. 他一生中扮演了各种各样的角色。
7. eastern 东方的, 东部的
而eastern则指从某一固定的地方看 某一个方向, 或指某物来自何方或 某地朝哪个方向。 He is interested in Eastern philosophy. 他对东方哲学感兴趣。 Eastern regions will have heavy rain today. 东部区域今天将有大雨。 China faces the Pacific on the east. 中国东临太平洋。 China is in the east of Asia.
8. Although many Americans move a lot, they still recognize each other’s dialects. 虽然许多美国人经常搬家, 但他们 仍然能够辨认出彼此的方言。 recognize vt. 辨认, 认出 (pick out) recognize sth./sb. as sth./sb. 把……认 作…… recognize sb./sth. to be 承认某人…… recognize that… e.g. Drugs were not recognized as a problem then.
e.g. I recognized her by her long hair.
They recognized him to be a great leader.
I recognize him as a clever man. We recognized that the task was not easy.
3 Read & Imitating
1. Little girl: Hi, I’d like some sweets, please.
Store owner: No problem. All the candy we
sell is sweet.
Little girl: I see, so you sell sweet sweets.
2. British boy: Shall we move the new bed by lorry?
American girl: Not by me, I hope..
British boy: Oh, I’m sorry, Lori, I mean by truck.
3. British boy: What a lovely autumn day!
American girl: Yes, it’s a nice fall day, isn’t it?
Answer keys for Exercise 3 Br E 糖果 卡车 秋天 sweets lorry autumn Am E candy
1 Look at the picture and predict the content.
Hey, y’all, this here is Buford. I come from a big oil town in Texas. Now, y’all need to understand that we ain’t really a state, but a whole ’nother country. Now let me tell ya a story ’bout when I was just a pup. One hot summer’s day I was swimmin’ with my cousins Little Lester and Big Billy Bob. We was jumpin’ in the water and feelin’ good.
Then along comes this catfish ’bout the size of a house. Well, alright, maybe a little smaller than that. Little Lester starts to thinkin’ it’s goin’ to eat him sure ’nough. Man, you shoulda seen him! He got outta the water fast as lightning and climbed up a tree. Big Billy Bob and I just laughed and laughed. To this day, Lester won’t go near that place.
3 Listen and put these sentences in the right sequence.
___ 4 Lester climbed a tree. ___ 1 Buford, Billy Bob and Lester went swimming. ___ 3 Lester thought the catfish would eat him. ___ 5 Buford and Billy Bob laughed. ___ 2 Lester saw a catfish. 6 Now Lester is too afraid to visit the place. ___
4 Answer the following questions 1) What does Buford think of Texas? How do you know? He believes it’s almost a different country from the USA. The listening text tells us.
2) How large was the catfish? The boys thought that the catfish was almost the size of a house.
3) Why did Lester get out of the water so quickly? He thought the catfish would eat him. 4) Why did Buford and Big Billy Bob laugh? They laughed because Lester believed the catfish would hurt him.
Reading and speaking
1 Read and recognize. Amy: Excuse me, madam. Could you please tell me where the nearest subway is? Lady: Er…the underground? Well, go round the corner on your left-hand side, straight on and cross two streets. It’ll be on your right-hand side.
Amy: Thanks so much!
Friends: What did she say, Amy?
Amy: She told us to go round the corner on the left and keep going straight for
two blocks. The subway will be on our
Try to write down the words from the dialogue.
Amy (American) Lady (British)
subway left keep going straight two blocks right
underground left-hand side go straight on two streets
2 Work in pairs.
Pardon? I beg your pardon? I don’t understand. How do you spell that? Could you say that again please? Could you speak more slowly please? Sorry, I can’t follow you! Could you repeat that please?
1. You and your friend are American. You have arrived in a strange city in England to watch a football match. You need to find a cab/taxi to take you to the football ground. 2. You and your friend are British. You are visiting America. Your car needs some more petrol but you cannot find a petrol station. Ask directions to the nearest one.
Sample dialogue for situation 2:
S1: Excuse me sir. Could you tell me where the nearest petrol station is? S2: You mean gas station? Yes, of course. It’s straight ahead till you reach the traffic lights. Then turn left and cross one street. Then you’ll see it on your left. S1: What’s that again? I don’t understand. How many blocks is that?
S2: Blocks? There is no blocks! You just go along this road till you reach the traffic lights. S1: I see – for one block? Can you speak more slowly please? I want to write this down. S2: See those traffic lights? Go straight ahead until you reach them and turn left.
S1: Yes, I see. That’s two blocks.
Then do I take a left?
S2: Yes and then cross one road and
it is on your left-hand side.
S1: Thanks. I go one block and it’ll be on my left. Thanks so much.
Writing: Brainstorm with a partner on the following topic: to do business
to use in school
to read English books to talk to to listen to English native speakers music and movies to write to pen friends
Why should we learn English?
What is it important to learn English?
Reasons for learning English:
1. World trade is done in English;
2. International organizations (such
as the UN) use English;
3. We need contact with the developed Western world to build our country;
4. Many developing countries also use English in their dealings; 5. Most businessmen do not have time to learn new languages every time they enter a new international market. So China’s future lies in learning English to a certain extent.
Make your own poster
Why should we do exercise? ? to keep fit ? to make us strong ? to fight illness and disease ? to enjoy ourselves ? to build up our skills Some exercise a day keeps the doctor away!
1. Review all the new words
2. Finish exercises 1-2 on Page 53 on your workbooks.