新目标高中英语必修1 Unit 4 Earthquake Warming-up, Pre-reading, Reading完整课件(含 听力), 共 73张幻灯片. 两个课时授完. 课 件共有六 个部分. 第一 部分: 热身. 第二部分: 导入. 第三部 分: 呈现和操练(A.从地下、地上、天上等三个方面 展示了这次地 震前的征兆. B. 从建筑、交通, 人和 动物等方面描述了这
次地震给唐山人民带来的危害. C. 描述了地 震后唐山人民得到的 援助. D. 补充了 一些发生地震时的保护措施). 第四部分: 归纳、总 结和巩固. 第五部分: 课文练习. 第六部分: 课堂作业.
Ⅰ. Teaching Content
Unit 4 Earthquake
Ⅱ. Analysis of teaching material
The central topic of this unit is "earthquake". By studying this unit, the students will know what signs will there be before an earthquake, what damages will bring about, how to
protect themselves and help others when an earthquake happens.
Ⅲ. Analysis of the students’ status
The students have heard about or seen some natural disaters, such as flood, fire, drought, snow, typhoon, tsunami, volcanic eruption and earthquake. The disasters aren't strange to them. But perhaps they don't know much ＋ about the Tang Shan Earthquake.
Ⅳ. Teaching Goals A. Knowledge aim
Grasp some important words, phrases, sentences and attributive clause.
B. Ability aims: Train students’ reading and speaking skills.
C. Moral aims:
Know what damages an earthquake will bring about and the ways to reduce losses of an earthquake. Know how to protect oneself and to help others in an earthquake.
Ⅴ. Important points: 1. Words: shake, rise, crack, burst, well, smelly, pond,
steam, destroy, ruin, injure, survivor, brick, useless, shock, quake, rescue, electricity, disaster, organize, bury, coal, mine, shelter, fresh, percent, honor, prepare. 2. Phrases: right away, at an end, lie in ruins, be trapped under sth, to the north of sp, put up, give out, wake sb up, prepare sth for sth., think little of sth.
3. Sentences: (1). It seemed as if the world was at an end. (2). One-third of the nation felt it. (3). In fifteen terrible seconds, a large city lay in ruins. (4). The number of people who were killed or injured reached more than 400, 000. (5). No wind could blow them away. (6). Tens of thousands of cows would never give milk. (7). Everywhere they looked nearly everything was destroyed. (8). Sand filled the wells instead of water. (9). People began to wonder how long the disaster would last. (10).The army organized teams to dig out those who were trapped and to bury the dead.
4. Grammar:The Attributive Clause with" who/whom/ whose/ that"
Ⅵ. Difficult points 1. The usages of some words and expressions.
2. Describe a natural disaster, such as a flood, an earthquake 3. Attributive Clause
Ⅶ. Teaching tools
blackboard, courseware, tape recorder and some coloured pictures.
Ⅷ. Teaching Methods Situational teaching methods & interactive teaching methods, cooperative exploring methods.
Ⅸ. Teaching Procedures 参看多媒体课件(实际上,一般的课件只是教 学过程)
Step 1.Warming-up Step 2. Lead-in Step 3. Presentation and drilling Step 4 Summarizing and consolidating Step 5. Class work Step 6. Homework
How do you think of our world? Is it beautiful? However, is our world always beautiful and safe?Why?
Sometimes it is destroyed by some natural disasters(1), so it is also dangerous.
What natural disasters have you ever seen? I have seen ...
Teacher: What other natural disasters do you know ? Student: I have also seen...
震动 ...and so on
Teacher: There was a great natural disaster in our country many years, do you know what it is? Student: Yes, we do. It is called the Tang Shan earthquake. Teacher: 30 years ago, a terrible disaster suddenly happened, and the beautiful Tangshan was removed from the map. This is "Tangshan earthquake". Before reading this passage, please consider the following questions. (1). Where does the city of Tangshan lie? (2). Do you know anything about the earthquake? (3). When did the earthquake happen? (4). What damages did it bring about? (5). How many people were injured or died in this accident? (6). What will you take with you if an earthquake happens?
Teacher: Please read this news report about the Tang Shan earthquake.
3.Presentation and drilling
Teacher: First of all, let's read the first paragraph. Teacher: Can you tell me the main idea of this paragraph? Student: Some signs before the earthquake. Teacher: What abnormal(不正常的) things happened in the ground before the earthquake? Student: (1). The water in the village wells(4) rose and fell for three days.
(2). The well walls had deep cracks(5). A smelly(6) gas came out of the cracks.
Teacher: What abnormal things happened on the ground before the earthquake? Student: The water pipes(7) in some buildings cracked and burst(8)
Teacher: What responses did the animals on the groud have? Student: They were all nervous. (1). The chickens and the pigs in the famyards(9) couldn't eat anything .
chicke n pig
(2). Fish jumped out of their bowls and ponds.
(3). Mice ran out of the fields looking for places to hide.
汶川地震发生前, 马路上到处爬满了 蟾蜍
Teacher: What abnormal things appeared in the sky? Student: There were bright lights and the sound of planes although there were not any planes in the sky.
Teacher: What about the people in the city? Students: They thoughts little of all the events(10) and were asleep as usual.
Teacher: Now, let's read the second and third paragraphs. Teacher: Can you tell me the main idea of this paragraph? Student: Some damages that the earthquake caused. Teacher: Can you describe the damages that the earthquake brought about using one or two sentences? Student: It seemed as if(11) the world was at an end(12). In fifteen terrible seconds a large city lay in ruins(13)
似乎,好像,看起来 终结, 结束 处于废墟之中
Teacher: What happened to buildings? Student: Hospitals,75% of factories and buildings and 90% of homes were gone.
Teacher: What happened to traffic? Student: The railway tracks(14) were useless(15) pieces of steel. 轨道 无用的
Student: Most of the bridges fell or were not safe for travelling.
Student: Two dams(16) fell.
Teacher: What happened to something else? Student: A huge crack that was eight kilometres long and thirty metres wide cut across houses, roads and canals(17). 运河
Student: Steam(18) burst from holes in the ground.
Student: Hard hills of rock became rivers or dirt(19).
hard hills of rock
rivers or dirt
Student: Sand filled the wells instead of water.
Student: Bricks(20) covered the ground like red autumn leaves. No wind would blow them away.
Teacher: What happened to people? Student: Two-thirds of people died or were injured(21) during the earthquake. The number of people who were killed or injured reached more than 400,000.. 伤害
Teacher: Were there any survivors? 震动, 震惊 Student: Yes, there were. 痛苦 Teacher: How did they feel? Student: They were shoked(22), their suffering(23) was extreme(24). Everywhere they looked nearly everything was destroyed(25). They began to wonder how long the disaster would last. 极端的 极度的 破坏, 毁灭
Teacher: What about children? Student: Many of them were left without parents.
Teacher: Could people get water, electricity(26)and food? 电 Student: No, it was very hard for them to get water electricity and food.
Teacher: What about animals, such as cows, pigs, ...? Student: Tens of thousands of cows would never give milk again.
Student: Half a million pigs and millions of chickens died.
Teacher: Now, let's read the fourth paragraph. Teacher: Can you tell me the main idea of this paragraph? Student: How were the survivors helped?
Teacher: Were there some people who went to rescue(27) the survivors?
Student: Yes, there were. Teacher: Who were they? n&v援救,营救 Student: They were an army and some rescue workers.
Teacher: What did they do? Student: The army sent 150,000 soldiers to Tangshan to hep the rescue workers.
Student: They organized teams to dig out(28) those who were trapped(29) and buried(30) the dead.
They also rescued 10,000 miners(31) from the coal mines(32).
矿工 矿, 矿山
Teacher: What did the rescue workers do? Student: They built shelters(33) for the survivors(34) whose homes had been destroyed.
Teacher: What other help did the surviors get? Student: Train, truck and plane sent fresh water to the city. Slowly, the city began to breathe again.
Tangshan’s new look
After the earthquake, with all the help from all parties, Tangshan began to breathe again. Now it has become a modern city with a large number of new tall Tangshan after the earthbuildings.
Step 4 Summarzing and consolidating
1.disaster 灾害 3.quake 震动 5. crack 裂缝 破裂 2. earthquake 地震
4. well 水井 6. smelly 难闻的
8. burst 爆裂 10. event 大事,事件
12. at an end 终结, 结束
7.pipe 管, 管子
9. famyard 农场,农家
11. as if 似乎, 好像, 看起来 13. in ruin 处于废墟之中 15. useless 无用的
14. track 轨道 16. dam 堤坝, 水坝
震动, 震惊 电
25. destroy 27. rescue 28. dig out 30. bury
n&v 援救, 营救
24. extreme 极端的, 极度的
26. electricity 27. rescue 破坏, 毁灭 29. trap 31. miner
挖出 埋葬 矿, 矿山
Do some exercises accoring to the text.
I. True or False
1. Strange things were happening in the country side of northwest Hebei.
2. Farmers noticed the well walls had deep cracks, so they paid much attention to them.
3. In the farmyards, the chickens and the pigs were too nervous to eat. 4. The sound of planes could be heard outside the city when planes were in the sky. 5. One third of the people died or were injured during the earthquake. 48
6. Such a great number of people died because the quake happened while they were working. 7. All the hospitals had been destroyed.
8. Only supply of water and electricity was cut off.
9. Almost everything in Tangshan was destroyed. 10. Before the earthquake there wasn’t anything strange happening.
1. The chickens didn’t eat because 2. The people didn’t worry because 3. Such a great number of people died because 4. Water was needed because 5. The people did not lose hope because A. the army came to help them. B. the quake happened while they were sleeping. C. they were nervous. D. dams and wells were useless. E. they didn’t know what the strange events meant.
What should we do to protect ourselves if an earthquake happens?
1. hold onto the furniture
2. hide in the corner of the house
3. hide under/by some strong furniture
4. drop onto the ground
5.keep away from the buildings
6. keep away from the power lines
7. keep away from the signs
8. put out the fire and turn off the gas
9. Use something hard to protect your head
10.Never try to use the lift
11.Don't stay on the balcony(阳台)
12. Don't stay in the centre of room.
13. Don't jump out of tall buildings
14. Don't be upstairs or downstairs.
The Attributive Clause(定语从句)
1. 定语从句：修饰某一名词或代词的从句叫定语从句. 定 语从句一般紧跟在它所修饰的先行词之后. 2. 先行词: 被定语从句修饰的名词或代词叫先行词. 3. 关系词: 引导定语从句的词叫关系词. 关系词有关系代 词和关系副词. 关系代词有that, which, who, whom, whose, as等；关系副词有when, where, why等. 关系 词通常有下列三个作用：A. 引导定语从句；B. 代替先 行词；C. 在定语从句中担当一成分.
限制性定语从句 形式上 不用逗号“,”与主句隔开 非限制性定语从句
是先行词不可缺少的定语， 只是对先行词的补充 如删除，主句则失去意义或 说明，如删除，主句 意思表达不完整 仍能表达完整的意思。
译成先行词的定语： 译法上 “…的 ”
1. 作宾语时可省略 关系词 的使用 上 2. 可用that
1.不可省略 2.不用that 3.不可用who代替
3. 可用who 代替whom
1. The one million people of the city, who thought little of these events, were asleep as usual that night. 2. A huge crack that was eight kilometers long and thirty meters wide cut across houses, roads and canals.
that/ who that/which
that/whom who/省略 that/which/ 省略 that/which/ 省略 that/which/ 省略 that/which/ 省略
时间 that/which 地点 that/which that/which
1.that和which在指物时一般可以互换, 但在下列情况下, 用that而不用which：
1). 先行词是不定代词，如：all, everything, nothing, something, anything, little, much
I think she has something (that) you can read. 2). 先行词被all, every, no, some, any, little, much，the only, the very, the same, the last等修饰时。 I’ve read all the books that are not mine.
This is the very book that belongs to him. 3). 先行词被序数词或最高级修饰或本身是序数词或最高级. This is the first book (that) he has read. 4) 先行词既有人又有物时 I can remember the things and people (that) I visited in the village. 5) 主句是以who /which开始的问句 Who is the girl that drove the car?
2.用which不用that: 1). 关系代词前有介词时. (介词提前) This is the room in which we lived last year. 2). 在非限制性定语从句中. Football, which is a very popular game, is played all over the world. 3). 先行词本身就是that What’s that which flashed in the sky just now?
Ⅹ. Class work Design
1. He got _____ in the battle. A. damaged B. harmed C. hurt D. wounded 2. We don’t need to do extra work this evening. The day’s work was almost ______ now. A. at the end B. at an end C. at one end D. at our end 3. In that big fire all their houses were______, so they had to build new ones. A. hurt B. harmed C. injured D. destroyed 4. What really______me was that no one seemed to care about the beggars.
5. A number of students ______seen the film.That is，the number of the students who ____seen the film____large. A. have；has；is B. has；has；are C. has；have；is D. have；have；is 6. The houses across the street were ______, but they will be rebuilt soon. A. in detail B. in number C. in ruins D. in rows 7. It was a ________ story and we were all very ________. A. shocking; shocked B. shocking; shocking C. shocked; shocking D. shocked; shocked 8. When he was in danger, a passer-by ________. A. rescued B. came to rescue C. came to an end D. came to 9. Can you think of anyone ___ could look after him a bit for the next few days? A. that B. which C. whom D. / 10. In Britain he had come across a painter _______nobody else had heard of. A. which B. where C. with whom D. /
11. That was the most interesting film ___ I have seen. A. whose B. that C. which D. what 12. Watch the girl and her dog ___ are crossing the street. A. who B. which C. that D. they
13. The novel _____ cover was broken belongs to me. A. who B. that C. whose D. whom
14. George Orwell, __ was Eric Arthur, wrote many political novels. A. the real name B. what his real name C. his real name D. whose real name 15. He told us all _____ he knew about the matter. A. that B. what C. which D. who 16. Yesterday Mr. Li finally bought his own house, ___ is a hospital. A. in where B. to the east of which C. to the east of it D. in the east of that
17. My brother's purse, _______ he put ￥1,000, was missing on the bus. A. there B. which C. in which D. that 18. The football match ____ the students competed yesterday was very wonderful. A. in which B. which C. in that D. that 19. The reason _______ he was late again was that he was caught in a traffic jam in the rush hour. A. which B. in which C. for which D. of which 20. His glasses, _______ he could see nothing, was taken away by a naughty boy. A. which B. without which C. with which D. without those 21. The computer, _______ he paid ￥3,000, was once owned by his uncle. A. which B. for which C. that D. to that
22. In the past we lost many chances, _______ we paid little attention. A. which B. that C. in which D. to which 23. The pen, ____ I had been writing for ten years, was broken. A. with which B. with that C. as D. with it 24. Mary has two brothers, ________ are doctors. A. both of they B. both of whom C. both of them D. whom of both 25. The problem _______ you argued about yesterday has been solved. A. that B. what C. why D. for which 26. My aunt bought me a book, the name _______ I have forgotten. A. of it B. which C. whose D. of which 27. On the way home I met my friend John, from _______ home the thief had stolen a computer. A. whom B. which C. that D. whose
28. I hate the way _______ you talk to your mother. A. by which B. on which C. in which D. which 29. At last we found the hole in the wall _______ the mouse got into the house last night. A. in which B. which C. through which D. by which 30. Last night we saw two movies, _______ was interesting. A. both of which B. neither of which C. both of them D. neither of them
二. 用that, which或 who,whom,whose填空
that 31. He did all/everything _______he could to help me. 32. This is the very thing _______ I am after. that that 33. We talked about the men and the things _____ we remembered at school. that 34. He is the only man _____ can do the work. that 35. This is the first thing _____ I want to say.
36. He is the finest man ____ I have ever worked that with. that 37. Who is the man ____ spoke to you at the gate. that 38. Which is the star _____ is nearest to the earth. that 39. Is there anything else ____ you want to say? that 40. Any person ______ has the money can join the group. 41. He often speaks the role he played in the play,which ________ made others upset. which 42. He opened the door, in front of ________ sat a boy. 43. The man to whom I spoke is a famous scientist. _______ 44. The boy whose mother is dead was brought up ________ by his father. that 45. That was the most interesting film______I have seen.
XI. Homework Design
根据下面内容用英语写一篇有关地震的短文。 1976年7月28 日我国唐山遭受了20世纪世界上损失最 大的地震的袭击，整个城市几乎全毁。 25万人 死亡，桥 梁，建筑被毁，供电供水中断，房屋失火，大量人员无 家可归。 为了预防地震，可以采取以下举措： 1、沿着两个板块相接的地方不要建房。 2、把房屋建在岩石上，不建在沙地上。 3、把房屋尽可能建得结实。 参考词汇： 毁灭 ruin/destroy 板块plate
XII. Blackboard writing 1. words:... 2. phrases:... 3. grammar:... 4. sentences:..
XIII. Teaching reflection ........................................ ......................................... ......................................... ..........................................