必修五 module1 British and American English
1. Time is what you make of it.(Swatch) 2. Make yourself heard.(Ericsson) 天长地久。 （斯沃奇手表） 理解就是沟通。(爱立信）
to move the human spirit.(Mercedes-Benz)人类精神的动力。 （梅塞德斯-奔驰） 4. Start Ahead.(Rejoice) 5. A diamond lasts forever.(De Bierres) 6. Fresh-up with Seven-up.(Seven-up) 7. Intel Inside.(Intel Pentium) 8. Connecting People.(Nokia) 9. For the Road Ahead.(Honda) 10. Let us make things better.(Philips) 成功之路，从头开始。 （飘柔） 钻石恒久远， 一颗永流传 （第比尔斯） 提神醒脑，喝七喜。 （七喜） 给电脑一颗奔腾的 “芯 （英特尔奔腾） 科技以人为本。 （诺基亚） 康庄大道。 （本田） 让我们做得更好。 （飞利浦）
重点单词： 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. （vt.）比较 （n.）讲话；评论 （vt.）陈述；提出（观点，计划等） （n.）努力；尝试 （vt.）简化 （adj.）与众不同的 （adj.）显然的-（adj.）令人困惑的；难懂的（adj.） 糊涂的，迷乱的 9. 10. No Pains, No gains. （n.）种类-(vi.)不同，有区别-（adj.） （adj.）-（n.） （adv.）显然地 （v.）--
11. 决；定居 12. 13. 广播员 14. 重点短语： 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 重点句型： 1.
有共同之处 四处走动（旅游） 与……相似 做某事有困难 引起；导致 同意；支持 称……为…… 幸亏；多亏 有区别；有影响 毕竟；别忘了
whether a teacher speaks British or America
English. 老师是讲英式英语还是美式英语，是无关紧要的。 2. Americans use a flashlight, for the British, it’s a torch. 美国人使用
flashlight（手电筒），而英国人却叫它 torch（手电筒）。 3. Users of English will all be able to understand each other 哪里，英语的使用者都会彼此理解。 4. By the 1850s it was selling one million copies a year, one of the most they are. 无论在
popular school books ever. 到十九世纪五十年代，这本书一年就销售了一百万册，使它 成为当时学校最受欢迎的书之一。
No Pains, No gains.
1．have …in common 有共同之处→common, usual, ordinary 考点 1):Letter boxes are much more mailbox instead. A.common B. normal C. ordinary D. usual . in the UK than in the US, where most people have a
考点 2): Though British and American English have some differences in spelling, they have a lot A. in place 考点 3): A. Common B.in common C. in words D. in public
worker as he is, he works very hard and is often praised by his leaders. B. Ordinary C. Usual D. General
2. except 除…以外
→besides, except for, except that
the weather. D. in case of
考点 1) :Everything was perfect for the public A. in place of B. as well as C. except for
考点 2): 1. I know nothing about the young lady＿＿＿she is from Beijing. A. except B. except for C. except that D. besides
考点 3): The suit fitted him well＿＿＿the color was a little brighter. A. except for B. except that C. except when D. besides
3. confusing→ confused 形容词-ed, -ing 辨析 考点 1): He is very popular among his students as he always tries to make them A. interested B. interesting C. interest D. to interest in his lectures.
考点 2):Every evening after dinner, if not A. being tired B. tiring C. tired
from work, I will spend some time walking my dog. D. to be tired . No one can understand them. D. surprising
考点 3):The instructions on the bottle are very A. confused B. confusing C. surprised
4. get on/along (with), get down to, get through 等 考点 1): We’ve just moved into a bigger house and there’s a lot to do. Let’s A. keep up with B. do away with C. get down to it.
D. look forward to fine.
考点 2): I used to quarrel a lot with my parents, but now we A. look out B. stay up C. carry on D. get along
No Pains, No gains.
考点 3):I tried phoning her office, but I couldn’t A. get along 5. pick up 考点 1): I can up the programmes B. pick; on B. get on C. get to
. D. get through
my radio. C. take; from D. make; in
A. pick; in
考点 2): ---Why were you so angry yesterday afternoon? ------When I went to school to A. pick on; picked on C. pick on; pick up 考点 3): Sam A.brought up little Joe, he was being by some students.
B. pick up; picked up D. pick up; picked on
some knowledge of the computer just by watching others working on it. B. looked up C. picked up D. set up
6. because, since, as, now that 考点 1): The old man asked Lucy to move to another chair A. although B. unless C. because D. if that was a memory she he wanted to sit next to his wife.
考点 2):Jenny was sad over the loss of the photos she has shot in China, especially treasured. A. as B. if C. when D. where
考点 3):A man cannot smile like a child, alone. A. so 考点 4):It was A. because B. but C. for
a child smiles with eyes, while a man smiles with his tips
he was ill that he didn’t go to school. B. since C. for D. as
7. try, attempt, manage 尝试 考点 1): A man is being questioned in relation to the A. advised B. attended C. attempted murder last night. D. admitted it with three children?
考点 2): Your house is always so neat-how do you A. manage 考点 3):He A. managed No Pains, No gains. B. serve C. adapt
to get a higher position in the company, but failed because of his age. B. succeeded C. attempted D. thought
考点 4):The thief made an attempt doing so. A. on 考点 5):She A. succeeded 8. V-ed 作定语 B. for C. at
the old man’s life, but the knock at the door discouraged him from
to beat the world record but failed at last. B. advised C. attempted D. offered
考点 1): So far nobody has claimed the money A. discovered B. to be discovered
in the library. C. discovering D. having discovered
考点 2):A great number of students A. to question
said they were forced to practice the piano. C. questioned D. questioning
B. to be questioned
考点 3):Mrs White showed her students some old maps A. to borrow 9. it 形式主语 B. to be borrowed C. borrowed
from the library. D. borrowing
考点 1): He didn’t make ___clear when and where the meeting would be held. A. this B. that C. it D. these
考点 2): I’d appreciate ___if you would like to teach me how to use the computer. A. that B. it C. this D. you
考点 3): The doctor thought _______would be good for you to have a holiday. A. this 考点 3): A. what 10. 时态 1. So far this year we ____ a fall in house prices by between 5 and 10 percent. A. saw B. see C. had seen D. have seen my jacket on the playground. C. have left D. was leaving B. that C. one D. it
is a pity that you missed the sports meeting. B. that C. it D. this
2. The moment I got home, I found I A. had left B. left
3. –Did you go to the show last night? –Yeah. Every boy and girl in the area A. were B. have been invited. C. has been D. was
No Pains, No gains.
4. Judy is going to marry the sailor she A. meets 5. Teenagers B. met
in Rome last year. C. has met D. would meet
their health because they play computer games too much. B. are damaging C. damaged D. will damage
A. have damaged
6. --- I’m sure Andrew will win the first prize in the final. --- I think so. He ___________ for it for months. A. is preparing C. had been preparing B. was preparing D. has been preparing
7. He _____ football regularly for many years when he was young. A. was playing B. played C. has played D. had played
8. The telephone _______, but by the time I got indoors, it stopped. A. had rung B. was ringing C. rings D. has rung
9. By the time he realizes he ______ into a trap, it'll be too late for him to do anything about it. A. walks B. walked C. has walked D. had walked
10. If the weather had been better, we could have had a picnic. But it ___ all day. A. rained B. rains C. has rained D. is raining
11. If their marketing plans succeed, they ____ their sales by 20 percent. A. will increase C. have increased B. have been increasing D. would be increasing
12. —Have you known Dr. Jackson for a long time? —Yes, since she ______ the Chinese Society. A. has joined B. joins C. had joined D. joined
13. We first met on a train in 2000. We both felt immediately that we ______ each other for years. A. knew B. have known C. had known D. know
14. — Have you got any job offers? -- No. I ______. A. waited B. had been waiting C. have waited D. am waiting
15. – Do you think we should accept that offer? -- Yes, we should, for we ___such bad luck up till now, and time __ out.
No Pains, No gains.
A. have had; is running C. have; has been run
B. had; is running D. have had; has been run
从 A、B、C、D 四个选项中，选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项. 1. The instructions on the bottle are very _____. No one can understand them. A. confused B. confusing C. surprised D. surprising
2. They are sisters, but they have nothing _______. A. in hand B. in common C. in public D. in need
3. His careless driving led _____ the deaths of five people, including a two-month-old baby. A. to B. upon C. in D. out
4. This is a ____ book that you may _____ in daily English study. A. referring; refer to B. referring; refer C. reference; refer to D. referred; refer to
5. — Why do you plant a tree on the 12th, March every year? — I’m trying to make a _____ to the environment through my efforts. A. sense B. difference C. point D. change
6. You can’t imagine how much difficulty I had _____ him to join us. A. persuaded B. to persuade C. persuading D. persuade
7. The shopping center sells a ____ of goods, where you can get what you want. A. varied B. various C. variety D. difference
8. I wrote him a letter and suggested ______ the meeting _____. A. to put; away B. to put; off C. putting; off D. putting; away
9. Since you weren’t at the meeting, we ____ the decision without you. A. made B. have made C. had made D. were making
10. According to the ______ situation, he _____ his opinion on how to deal with the matter. A. present; present C. presented; presenting B. presenting; presented D. present; presented
11. The vote for the suspension(暂停) of the meeting was 283 in ______ with 29 against. A. demand B. need C. favor D. surprise
12. This latest incident will _______ the pressure on the government.
No Pains, No gains.
A. add to
C. add up to
D. add up
13. Male employment in this country was 14.2%, _________ 5.8% for women. A. as high as B. close to C. on average D. compared with
14. To our surprise, he spoke English with a strong French _____. A. voice B. sound C. accent D. language
15. —Would you mind my smoking here? —____. Here is the hospital. A. No, certainly not C. No, I don’t think so B. Yes, you’d better not D. Yes, go ahead
完形填空：阅读下面短文，掌握其大意，然后从下列各题所给的 A、B、C 和 D 四个选项中， 选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项。 Two men, both seriously ill, were in the same hospital room. One man was allowed to 1 up in his bed for an hour each afternoon. His bed was man on the other side of the room had to 3 2 the room’s only window. The other
all his time lying on his back in bed. 4 pass the time by describing 6
Every afternoon when the man by the window could sit up he to his 5
all the things he could see outside the window. ―The window overlooked a 7
with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on the water Young lovers walked and a fine 10 9 8
children sailed their model boats.
among flowers of every color. Grand old trees graced the landscape,
of the city skyline could be seen in the distance.‖ As the man by the window 11
all this in detail, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and
the scene. Days and weeks passed. One morning, the day nurse came only to find the man by the window had died 12 in his sleep. When the man’s body was 13 , the other man asked if 15 , 17
he could be moved next to the
14 . The nurse agreed and after making sure he was 16
she left. Slowly and painfully, the man raised himself world outside by himself. But to his In fact the man by the window was encourage his roommate. 18
to take his first look at the 19 a blank wall.
, he found it faced nothing
20 and could not even see the wall. He just wanted to
No Pains, No gains.
1. A. wake 2. A. well above 3. A. spend 4. A. could 5. A. doctor 6. A. wall 7. A. when 8. A. step by step C. face to face 9. A. view 10. A. explained 11. A. think 12. A. peacefully 13. A. put away 14. A. wall 15. A. dead 16. A. planning 17. A. previous 18. A. horror 19. A. like 20. A. dead
B. climb B. just over B. lose B. would B. nurse B. street B. while
C. sit C. far from C. waste C. might C. friend C. fence C. since
D. stand D. next to D. save D. should D. roommate D. park D. though
B. arm in arm D. one by one B. sign B. described B. expect B. bravely B. taken away B. park B. amazing B. trying B. embarrassing B. delight B. as B. deaf C. symbol C. watched C. imagine C. helplessly C. picked up C. lake C. comfortable C. refusing C. beautiful C. surprise C. but C. pitiful D. mark D. heard D. guess D. sadly D. caught up D. window D. encouraged D. wishing D. favorite D. sadness D. and D. blind
阅读下列短文，从每题所给的 A、B、C 和 D 四个选项中选出最佳选项。
No Pains, No gains.
A It’s school time again! You’re probably feeling excited and maybe a little sad that summer is over. Some kids feel nervous or a little scared on the first day of school because of all the new things: new teachers, new friends, and even a new school. Luckily, these ―new‖ worries only stick around for a little while. Let’s find out more about going to a new school. Most teachers kick off the new school year by introducing themselves and talking about all the stuff you’ll be doing that year. Some teachers give students a chance to tell something about themselves to the rest of the class, too. When teachers do the talking on the first day, they often go over classroom rules and school rules so you’ll know what’s allowed and what’s not. Please pay close attention You might already know a lot of people in your classes on the first day, but it’s a great day to make a new friend, so try to say hello to kids you know and new ones that you don’t. Make the first move and you’ll be glad you did, and so will your new friend! Seeing friends you haven’t seen in a while can make the first day a good one. You can make the day feel special by wearing clothes that you really like. Maybe you got a great T-shirt on one of your vacations, or a pair of sneakers（运动鞋）. It also can make you feel good to be prepared and have all the things you need, such as pencils, folders, and whatever else you’ll be needing. But make sure that you pack them the night before in case you don’t have time in the morning. 1. The underlined phrase ―kick off‖ in the second paragraph probably means ―_____‖. A. start B. study C. find D. teach
2. The last paragraphs mainly tell us about ________. A. what to know about a new school B. how to prepare for a new school C. what to do on your first day of school D. how to spend your first day of school 3. According to the passage you usually do everything on the first day of school except _______. A. introduce yourself C. make new friends B. learn about the school rules D. go over your new lessons
5. If you happen to see an old friend on the first day of school, from the passage we know that you will feel ________ No Pains, No gains.
It’s good to get along with your teacher because it makes the time you spend in the classroom more pleasant. It’s also good to get along with your teacher because, in general, it’s smart to learn how to relate to the different types of people you’ll meet throughout your life. But really, there’s one super-important reason why you should get along with your teacher. When you do, ―learning bursts right open,‖ says Evelyn Vuko, a longtime teacher who writes an education column called ―Teacher Says‖ for the Washington Post newspaper. In fact, kids who get along with their teachers not only learn more, but they’re also more comfortable asking questions and getting extra help. This makes it easier to understand new material and do the best on tests. When you have this kind of relationship with a teacher, he or she can be someone to turn to when you have problems, such as problems with learning, school issues, or bullying. As a kid in elementary or middle school, you’re at a wonderful stage in your life. You’re like a sponge（海绵）, able to take in lots of new and exciting information. On top of that, you’re able to think about all this information in new ways. Remember teachers are people too, and they feel great if you’re open to what they’re teaching you. That’s why they wanted to be teachers in the first place—to teach! In every school, kids will say certain teachers are tough. In fact, in most cases, your teacher wants to help you. And a teacher who’s called tough may be someone who feels strongly about getting his or her job done — teaching you what you are supposed to learn. 5. How do you understand the phrase ―get along with‖ in this passage? A. Sing high praise for. C. Leave a good impression on. B. Follow the example of. D. Form a good relationship with.
6. From this passage we know that teachers like students who ________. A. want to get extra help after class C. understand new material quickly B. think about information in new ways D. are open to what they’re learning
7. If a teacher is tough, he/she is probably ________. No Pains, No gains.
A. cruel and critical C. kind and gentle
B. strict but hardworking D. serious but honest
If you have ever been discouraged because of failure, please read on. Usually, achieving what you set out to do is not the important thing. Let me explain. Two brothers decided to dig a deep hole behind their house. As they were working, a couple of older boys stopped by to watch. ―What are you doing?‖ asked one of the visitors. ―We plan to dig a hole all the way through the earth!‖ one of the brothers answered excitedly. The older boys began to laugh, telling the younger ones that digging a hole all the way through the earth was impossible. After a long silence, one of the diggers picked up a jar full of spiders, worms and a lot of insects. He removed the lid and showed the wonderful contents to the visitors who were laughing at them. Then he said quietly and confidently, ―Even if we don’t dig all the way through the earth, look what we found along the way!‖ Their goal was far too difficult, but it made them dig. And that is what a goal is for—to make us move in the direction we have chosen. In other words, it sets us to digging! But not every goal will be fully achieved. Not every job will end successfully. Not every hope will come to pass. Not every love will last. But when you fall short of your aim, perhaps you can say, ―Yes, but look at what I found along the way! Look at the wonderful things which have come into my life because I tried to do something!‖ And I believe it is the joy in the journey, in the end, that truly matters. 8. The writer told us the story to ________ . A. advise us to treats our failures fairly B. persuade us to make an aim for our lives C. encourage us to learn from the two brothers D. prove that failure helps us make achievements 9. What’s the best title of the passage? A. Failure is the mother of success B. When there is a will, there is a way No Pains, No gains.
C. No pains, no gains D. Joy in the journey 10. Which of the following is TRUE according to the passage? A. Digging a hole all the way through the earth is impossible. B. The writer thinks that the two brothers will reach their goal one day. C. A goal is something that makes us want to dig holes. D. Everyone can succeed if he sets a practical goal.
No Pains, No gains.