Module 2 Unit 1
Cultural Relics Grammar
1. A c_____ relic is often something old that reminds us of the past. 2. Both parents were killed by the earthquake, but the children
s_______. 3. That dictionary b______ to the library is of great use for the English beginners. 4. The Great Wall of China is publicly recognized as one of the w_______ of the world. 5. W_____ bridges are not stronger than stone ones.
6. The New Year here is often c___________ with a dance party. 7. The robber who killed a shop owner will be on t________ next week. 8. He p_______ to be reading an important paper when the boss entered. 9. The t_________ dug out of the earth was a box of gold coins.
10. Can you show me any e________ for your statement(陈述)?
1.cultural 2.survived 3. belonging 4. wonders 5. Wooden 6. celebrated 7. trial 8. pretended 9. treasure 10.evidence
I. Revision (1) 完成句子 1. 她坚持说她听到屋里有人。 she _______ heard ___________ someone She insisted that ______ in the house. 2. 你对这位新老师的印相如何？ What’s ________ your opinion _______ ________ of the new teacker? 3. 这对我们是否有好处，还有等着看。 remains____ to be seen Whether it will do us good ________ _____ _____. 4. 国家元首在政治中起关键作用。 The ______ _____played _____ a key role in politics. head _____ of state 5. 他门在与邻国作战。 at _____ war _____ with their neighbouring country. They are _____
6. What the teacher advised us to do was of great value. very What the teacher advised us to do was_________ _________. valuable 7.The two living rooms are equal in size. of size The two living rooms are _______the same__________.
8. I planned to ask my assistant to write the report. have/get report ______ written I planned to ________the by my assistant. 9. We don’t have any doubt that our table tennis team will win the first place. _______is There no _______ doubt that our table tennis team will win the first place. 10. The theory proved to be true. It can be ________that proved _______ the theory was true.
用来修饰名词或代词的从句叫定语从 句。被定语从句所修饰的名词或代词叫先行 词（antecedent）。定语从句一般是由关系 代词或关系副词来引导的。相当于名词和形 容词的作用。 eg: 1. Do you know the man who came to see Xiao Yang this morning? 2.The day is not far off when we will make a trip to Britain.
1、引导作用 2、替代作用 3、在定语从句中担当某个成分的作用
eg: 1.Those who want to go please sign your names here.
2.This is the house where he was born. 3. Bill, who was here yesterday, asked me a lot of questions.
三、关系代词（who, whom, which, that, whose）的指代关系
指人 指物 在定语从句中的 作用
√ √ √ √ √
主语 宾语 主语 宾语 定语
that whose √ √
Eg:1.He is such a man who never tells a lie.
2. He is the model worker whom/who we should learn from. 3. A dictionary is a book which often helps us to know the meanings of the words.
4. This is the film which I like best. 5. The boy whose father is a professor is one of my best friends. 6. The house whose roof was blown away by the storm will be rebuilt soon.
1、当先行词被形容词的最高级所修饰 This is the best film that I have ever seen. 2、当先行词被序数词修饰 The first car that arrived at the destination was driven by John. 3、当先行词被the only, the very等修饰
This is the only ticket that I got yesterday.
This is the very book that I’m looking for.
Is there anything that I can do for you? All that you have to do is to press the button. There is no time that we can waste. 5、当先行词既指人又指物时 The car and its driver that knocked down the old lady have been taken to the police station.
This is the question about which we’ve had so much discussion.
五、关系副词when, where, why的用法
关系副词都等于一个适当的介词＋which， 在从句中作状语 When=in/at/on/…+which; Where=in/at/on/…+which; Why=for /…+which 1.Do you still remember the day when(on which) we went to visit the museum together? 2.This is the factory where(in which)my father once worked.
3.This is the reason why(for which) he was late.
1.Such people as you describe are rare nowadays. 2.Let’s discuss only such questions as concern every one of us.
3.Would you please buy me the same novel as you bought for brother yesterday, Mum?
4. As we all know, John is an honest man. 比较： She wore the same dress that she wore at Marry’s wedding.
1、关系代词和关系副词在定从中的不同成分 a、This is the place where he works. This is the place which(that)we visited last year.
b、That was the time when he arrived.
Do you still remember the days that (which)we spent together? c、This is the reason why he went. The reason that (which)he gave us was quite reasonable.
a.This is the boy with whom he worked.
b.This is the boy whomhe worked with.
c. This is the boy who he worked with.
d. This is the boy he worked with.
e. The house where we live is not large.
f. The house in which we live is not large.
g. The house which we live in is not large.
h. The house we live in is not large.
1 ．限制性定语从句是先行词在意义上不可缺少的 定语，如果去掉，主句的意思就不完整或失去意义。 这种从句和主句的关系十分密切，写时不用逗号分 开。限制性定语从句中作宾语的关系代词常可省略。 如： a) What is the name of the tall woman who is standing there? 站在那边的那个女人叫什么名字?
b) Toronto is a city (that) I' ve always wanted to visit.
c) The woman ( that/ whom/ who ) I spoke to just now is our new head.
d)October 1, 1949 was the day when the People's Republic of China was founded.
2．非限制性定语从句和主句关系不十分密切，只 是对先行词作些附加的说明 , 如果去掉, 主句的意 思仍然清楚。这种从句和主句之间往往用逗号分 开，一般不用that引导。非限制性定语从句中，关 系词不可省略。如：
a) Rome, which is the capital of Italy, has a very long history.
意大利的首都罗马历史非常悠久。 b) Yesterday I met Professor King, who came from the University of London.
c) He lent me a dictionary, which was just what I needed. 他借给我一本词典，这正是我所需要的。
3.大多数限制性和非限制性定语从句的先行词往往 为某一个词或短语，而特殊场合非限制性定语从句 的先行词也可为整个主句，此时非限制性定语从句 常由which引导。
eg. A middle-aged woman killed her husband,
which frightened me very much.
析：从语境可知，令我恐惧的内容应为中年女 子杀害了其丈夫这整个一件事，因此先行词为整个 主句，此时应由which引导定语从句。
eg. A five-year-old boy can speak two foreign languages, which surprises all
the people present.
一个五岁的男孩会讲两门外语，令所有在场的 人感到非常惊讶。 析：从语境可知，令所有在场的人感到惊 讶的内容是一个五岁男孩会讲两门外语这整个 一件事，因此先行词为整个主句，此时应由 which引导非限制性定语从句。
4.关系代词whom在限制性定语从句中作宾语时可用 who代替whom，但在非限制性定语从句中作宾语时 不可用who来代替。
eg.This is the girl whom I met in the street.
先行词the girl在限制性定语从句中作宾语，可用 who代替whom。 eg.A young man had a new girl friend, whom
he wanted to impress.
先行词a new girl friend在非限制性定语从句中 作宾语，不可用who代替whom。
5. 比较： a) She has two brothers who are working in the city.
She has more than two brothers.
b) She has two brothers, who are working in the city.
She has only two brothers.
下面两个句子只有一个逗号之差，意义大相径 庭。 a) He will wear no clothes which will make him different from others. 他不会穿一些使他显得与众不同的衣服。
b) He will wear no clothes, which will make him different from others. 他不穿衣服，这会使他显得与众不同。