possibility: can / could, may / might
certainty: must, will, should
ability: can / could, be able to
permission: can / could, m
requests: can / could, will / would
suggestions: could / may /might, shall necessity: must, have to, have got to, need
advice: ought to, had better
1.— May I pick a flower in the garden ? — ____ . A . No , you needn't B . Not , please C . No , you mustn't D . No , you won't
2.You'd better ____ late next time . A . don't B . not be C . not being D . won't be 3He said he would rather not ____ it right now . A . doing B . to do C . do D . to be doing
4.— Must I give my sister-in-law a telephone call right now ? — No , you . A. mustn't B. needn't C. can't D. may not 5.You return the book now . You can keep it till next week if you like. A. can't B. mustn't C. needn't D. may not
6.— Shall I tell John about it ?
— No , you A. need't C. mustn't , I've told him already. B. would't D. shouldn't
7. Johnny , you play with the knife , you hurt yourself A. won't ; can't B. mustn't ; may C. shouldn't; must D. can't ; shouldn't
1. “Can I leave this door open at night ?” “You better not .” A. should B. would C. could D. had 2.— Shall we go skating or stay at home ?
— Which do yourself ? A. do you rather to B. would you rather C. will you rather D. should you rather
3. It's freezing outside . You ____ put on your overcoat . A . had better to B . had better C . would better D . would better to 4. Peter come with us tonight , but he isn't very sure yet . A. must B. may C. can D. will
. You ____ to the meeting this afternoon if you 5. have something important to do . A . needn't to come B . don't need come C . don't need coming D . needn't come
1.— Could I keep this new English - Chinese dictionary for a week ? — Yes , of course you _______. A. could B. will C. can D. should 2. The fire spread through the hotel very quickly but everyone get out. A. had to B. would C. could D. was able to
1. A computer think for itself , it must be told what to do . A. can't B. couldn't C. may not D. might not
2. Put on more clothes . You ___ be feeling cold with only a shirt on . A . should B . would C . could D . must 3. Mary ____ be in Paris , I saw her in town only a few minutes ago . A . mustn't B . shouldn't C . can't D . may not
must/may/might have done
can/could not have done
can/could have done should/ought to have done
need have done
II. 当表猜测的情态动词出现在反意疑问句的陈述部 分时,反意疑问句的疑问部分的动词从情态动词后面的不 定式. isn’t ? e.g., He must be ill, _____he do They can’t know the news, ____they? She must have been to Beijing before, hasn’t she? (相当于现在完成时) wasn’t She must have been in that day, _____ she?(相当于过去时) He looks sad. He must have failed the test, ____ hasn’t he ? He must have failed the exam in maths didn’t yesterday, ____he?
Jenny ____ B have kept her word . I wonder why she changed her mind . A . must B . should C . need D . would I didn't see her in the meeting-room this morning . She ____ at Dthe meeting . A . mustn't have spoken B . shouldn't have spoken C . needn't have spoken D . couldn't have spoken
We ____ B for her because she never came . A . needn't wait B . shouldn't have waited C . mustn't wait D . mustn't have waited
1. I didn't hear the phone B ______asleep . A.must be B. must have been C. should be D. should have been
2. — There were already five people in the car but they managed to take me as well . — It a comfortable journey . D A. can't be B. shouldn't be C. mustn't have been D. couldn't have been
3. I told Sally how to get here , but perhaps
C for her . I _____ A. had to write it out B. must have written it out C. should have written it out D. ought to write it out
C 4. We last night , but we went to the concert instead . A. must have studied B. might study C. should have studied D. would study
5. He A you more help , even though he was very busy . A. might have given B. might be C. may have given D. may give D 6. Where is my pen ? I it A. might B. would have lost C. should have lost D. must have lost 7. There was plenty of time . She A.mustn't have hurried B. couldn't have hurried C. must not hurry D. needn't have hurried
8. Tom ought not to but he meant no harm .
me your secret ,
A. have told
C. be telling
D. having told
9. The plant is dead , I
A. will give
it more water .
B. would have given
C. must give
D. should have given
10. —I stayed at a hotel while in New York.
A with Barbara. --Oh, did you? You ___
A.could have stayed
D.must have stayed
C yet, otherwise he would have 11. Jack ___ telephoned me. A. mustn’t have arrived shouldn’t have arrived can’t have arrived needn’t have arrived
B. C. D.
A have turned off the 12. Sorry, I’m late. I ____ alarm clock and gone back to sleep again. A.might B.should C.can D.will
13. —When can I come for the photos? I need them tomorrow afternoon. --They ___ B be ready by 12:00. A.can B.should C.might D.need 14. You can’t imagine that a well-behaved Cbe so rude to a lady. gentlemen ___ A.might B.need C.should D.would
1. A left-luggage office is a place where bags B ____be left for a short time, especially at a railway station.
2. How ___ A you say that you really
understand the whole story if you
have covered only part of the
article? A. can C. need B. must D. may
3. — The room is so dirty. B ___we
clean it? — Of course. A. Will Do B. Shall C. Would D.
C 4. My English-Chinese dictionary
has disappeared. Who ___ have
A. should B. must
5. — Is John coming by train?
— He should, but he D____ not.
He likes driving his car. A. must C. need B. can D. may
6. — I heard they went skiing in
the mountains last winter.
— It ____ C true because there was little snow there. A. may not be C. couldn’t be be B. won’t be D. mustn’t
7. It has been announced that candidates __ remain in their D seats until all the paper have been collected. A. can shall B. will C. may D.
B 8. — I hear you’ve got a set of valuable Australian coins. ___ I have a look?
9. Oh, I’m not feeling well in the
stomach, I ___ so much fried C chicken just now. A. shouldn’t eat B. mustn’t have eaten C. shouldn’t have eaten D. mustn’t eat
10. I was really anxious about you. You B ___ home without a word. A. mustn’t leave B. shouldn’t have left C. couldn’t have left D. needn’t leave
11. You can’t imagine that a wellbehaved gentlemen ___ be so rude C to a lady. A. might B. need C. should D. would 12. — Write to me when you get home. C — ____. A. I must B. I should C. I will D. I can
13. Mr. Bush is on time for A everything. ceremony? A. can B. should How ___it be that he was late for the opening
14. — Are you coming to Jeff’s party? D — I’m not sure. I ___ go to the concert instead. A. must C. should B. would D. might
15. My sister met him at the Grand
Theatre yesterday afternoon,
so A he ___ your lecture. A. couldn’t have attended B. needn’t have attended C. mustn’t have attended D. shouldn’t have attended
16. Sorry, I’m late. I A ___ have turned off the alarm clock and gone back to sleep again. A. might C. can B. should D. will
17. There was a lot of fun at yesterday’s party. You D___ come, but why didn’t you? A. must have C. need have have B. should D. ought to
18. — When can I come for the
I need B them tomorrow
afternoon. — They ___ be ready by 12:00. A. can C. might B. should D. need
19. — I stayed at a hotel while in New
A — Oh, did you? You __with
A. could have stayed
B. could stay
C. would stay
D. must have stayed
20. The fire spread through the hotel very quickly but
everyone ___ get out.
A. had to B. would
C. was able to
21. Jack C ___ yet, otherwise he
would have telephoned me.
A. mustn’t have arrived B. shouldn’t have arrived C. can’t have arrived D. needn’t have arrived
22.When he was there, he A ___ go
to that coffee shop at the
corner after work everyday.
C. had better
23. Sir, you A ___ be sitting in this waiting room. It is for woman and children only. A. oughtn’t to C. won’t B. can’t D. needn’t
24. It’s nearly seven o’clock. Jack C ___ be here at any moment. A. must B. need C. should D. can 25. I wonder how he ___ that to D the teacher. A. dare to say B. dare saying C. not dare say D. dared say
26. I told Sally how to get here, but perhaps C I ____ for her. A. had to write it out B. must have written it out C. should have written it out
D. ought to write it out
27. Michael B ___ be a policeman, for he is much too short. A. needn’t C. should B. can’t D. may
Review and practice Modal verbs.