23. Many Chinese students don’t pay much attention to spoken English at school. They think it necessary to practice speaking English in class. Here is a story to show you how important it is
to speak the English language 1 in everyday life. A foreigner once got hungry and went into a restaurant in London. He sat down at a table. When the waiter came, he opened his mouth, put his fingers 2 it and took them out again in order to express that he wanted something to eat for he could not speak English. The waiter soon brought a cup of tea. The man shook his head. The waiter then took away the tea and brought a cup of coffee. The man again shook his head. The man tried again and again, but he wasn’t able to make 3 understood. Finally another man came in. He spoke English clearly and fluently. In a few minutes, there was a large plate of meat and vegetables on the table 4 him. So you see a man often goes hungry if he doesn’t 5 (B) 1. A. A. into (A)2. A. A. into (D)3. A. A. into (C)4. A. A. into (E)5. A. A. into B. B. freely B. B. freely B. B. freely B. B. freely B. B. freely C. C. before C. C. before C. C. before C. C. before C. C. before a foreign language. E. E. master E. E. master E. E. master E. E. master E. E. master
D. D. himself D. D. himself D. D. himself D. D. himself D. D. himself
23. It seems quite clearly unjust to pay two people different amounts of money for doing the same work. But it is not as easy as it appeals at first __1__ to introduce equal pay for equal work. Two people may be working side by side in a factory and doing the same work, but one may be doing it twice as fast as the __2__; or one may be making no mistakes, while the other is making a lot. In some kinds of work, one can solve the problem of speed if one pays by the amount of work to be done and not by the hour: work paid for in this __3__ is called piece-work. But it is not always possible to do this, so it is sometimes useful to pay workers at different rates, which take differences in skill into __4__. This usually means that the younger and therefore less experienced worker gets less than the __5__ and more experienced one, which seems reasonable enough. (B)1. A. A. other B. B. sight C. C. older D. D. way E. E. account (A)2. A. A. other B. B. sight C. C. older D. D. way E. E. account (D)3. A. A. other B. B. sight C. C. older D. D. way E. E. account (E)4. A. A. other B. B. sight C. C. older D. D. way E. E. account (C)5. A. A. other B. B. sight C. C. older D. D. way E. E. account 23. Kelly is a clerk. She works in a town. She is busy from morning to ___1___.
She gets up at six o’clock in the morning and goes to do morning exercise at half past six. Then she has breakfast ___2___ the family at a quarter past seven. She goes to work at a quarter past eight. She ___3___ work at half past four and goes home. She arrives home at a quarter to five. At half past six she makes supper. After supper, she has a little rest. Sometimes she ___4___ TV for a little while. She studies for about an hour ___5___ she goes to bed. (E)1. A. A. watches (C)2. A. A. watches (B)3. A. A. watches (A)4. A. A. watches (D)5. A. A. watches B. B. finishes B. B. finishes B. B. finishes B. B. finishes B. B. finishes C. C. with C. C. with C. C. with C. C. with C. C. with D. D. before D. D. before D. D. before D. D. before D. D. before E. E. night E. E. night E. E. night E. E. night E. E. night
23. Many Americans like to have their vacation in ___1___countries. One day an American woman comes to visit China. This is her first time to China and she ___2___ to make some friends there. She meets a Chinese. This Chinese wants to talk in English with the American. When he sees her, he comes up, says"___3___"to her, then he begins his first talk with a person ___4___ an English-speaking country. "How old are you?" the Chinese ___5___. "I’m sorry. Please don’t ask a lady about her age." The Chinese is surprised. He doesn’t know why. Can you help him? (B)1. A. A. wants (A)2. A. A. wants (C)3. A. A. wants (E)4. A. A. wants (D)5. A. A. wants B. B. other B. B. other B. B. other B. B. other B. B. other C. C. hello C. C. hello C. C. hello C. C. hello C. C. hello D. D. asks D. D. asks D. D. asks D. D. asks D. D. asks E. E. from E. E. from E. E. from E. E. from E. E. from
23. Man cannot go on increasing his number at the present rate. In the __1__ 30 years man will face a period of crisis. __2__ experts believe that there will be a widespread food shortage. Other experts think this is too pessimistic, and that man can prevent things from getting worse than they are now. But remember that two thirds of the people in the world are under-nourished（缺 营养的）or starving now. One thing that man can do is to limit the __3__ of babies born. The need __4__ this is obvious, but it is not __5__ to achieve. People have to be persuaded to limit their families.
(E)1. A. A. for (C)2. A. A. for (D)3. A. A. for (A)4. A. A. for (B)5. A. A. for
B. B. easy B. B. easy B. B. easy B. B. easy B. B. easy
C. C. Some C. C. Some C. C. Some C. C. Some C. C. Some
D. D. number D. D. number D. D. number D. D. number D. D. number
E. E. next E. E. next E. E. next E. E. next E. E. next
23. There is an old saying that husbands and wives start to look and behave like each other after a time. I don’t know if this was true of my mother and father. Both of my parents had brown hair and brown eyes and low voices. My father, __1__, was eight years older than my mother and taller and thinner. He was built as straight as an arrow. My mother was shorter and had a rounder and fuller face and she looked as soft as a pillow. My mother was quieter and talked less than my father did. She was also a much more patient person than my father. My father was more experienced in life. He was __2__ to doing everything quickly. My mother, on the other hand, worked and spoke more slowly. They were fond of nature and sports, such as walking, gardening and swimming. They were both __3__ in reading and music, but my father preferred history books, while my mother liked to read romantic novels. In music, their types were similar, and they were never proud of listening to it. Most of the time they were in agreement on bringing __4__ their children. They both believed in giving them love and neither one believed in punishing them physically. At times, their personalities were very much alike, but at other times, they seemed very __5__. Perhaps that is why none of their children knows which parent he looks or behaves like. (A)1. A. A. however (D)2. A. A. however (B)3. A. A. however (C)4. A. A. however (E)5. A. A. however B. B. interested B. B. interested B. B. interested B. B. interested B. B. interested C. C. up C. C. up C. C. up C. C. up C. C. up D. D. used D. D. used D. D. used D. D. used D. D. used E. E. different E. E. different E. E. different E. E. different E. E. different
(8) Instructions:建议你在 30 分钟内， 根据下面所给的题目和提纲用英语写出一篇 不少于 80 词的短文。 My View of the Country Life and Town Life 内容需包括以下方面： 1.有一种观点认为：城市生活比乡村生活好； 2.你对这种观点的看法；
My View of the Country Life and Town Life Some people think that living in towns is better than living in the countryside. They hold the view that big towns have great supermarkets, good schools and so on. And they can provide people with great convenience. I don't think so. Of course, the countries cannot provide people with much convenience. But the country life is very quiet. If we live there, we may feel very comfortable. And the air in the country is fresh. It is good for our health. Thus, I think that country life is better than town life. (8) Instructions:建议你在 30 分钟内，根据下面所给的题目和提纲用英语写出 一篇不少于 80 词的短文。 1．回忆值得记忆的一天； 2．说明为什么值得记忆。 A Day to Remember A Day to Remember If I am asked to designate one day in the past that deserves my memory, I would say it is April 22nd, 2010. Whenever I recall the date April 22nd, 2010, I feel it is the most important day that is worthy of my memory. That day keeps me pondering on those little details. How exciting to think about it! The reason for the importance is that April 22nd, 2010 is the birthday of my son. Since then, there has been great changes happening to my family and the family members ever become a lot happier than those days before my son's birth. (7) Instructions:建议你在 30 分钟内，根据下面所给的题目和提纲用英语写出 一篇不少于 80 词的短文。 1．你喜欢的工作； 2．你喜欢的理由。 The Job I Like The Job I Like I like to be a teacher. Three reasons have led me to choose this job. First, teaching is learning. To make my lectures more constructive and stimulating, I have to read more books, explore new knowledge and gain a better understanding of the world, which is the very thing I enjoy in my life. Second, teaching means freedom and independence. As a teacher, I'm free to use my own ideas and make my own decisions. Finally, I like teaching because it offers me some peace in my mind. All in all, the reasons above make me like teaching best.