My New Teachers
amused adj. amuse v. amusement n. 小沈阳的表演真好笑，我们都被他的 幽默逗笑了。 Xiao Shenyang's performance is amusing
and we are amused at his humour.
他是个精力充沛的网球手。 He is an energetic tennis player. 他精力充沛。 He has much energy. He is full of energy.
? ? ? ?
(1) be patient with sb.对某人有耐心 be patient of sth.忍耐某事 (2) patience n．耐心；耐性 with patience＝patiently耐心地
? (3) impatient adj. 不耐烦的；没有耐心 的
? ①那位医生对病人十分耐心。 ? The doctor is very patient with his patients. ? ②A good teacher is always patient of any questions raised by his students. 一位好老师总是耐心对待学生提出的任何问 题 ? ②她是一位富有耐心的年轻姑娘。 ? she was a young woman with patience.
be serious about sb/sth be serious about doing sth 对…认真
Is she serious about giving up her job?
be strict in sth 对某事严格 be strict with sb 对某人严格
amusing energetic intelligent nervous organised patient serious shy strict
adj. 有趣的，可笑的 adj. 精力充沛的 adj. 聪明的 adj. 紧张的，焦虑的 adj. 有组织的，系统的 adj. 耐心的 adj. 严肃的 adj. 害羞的 adj. 严格的
Introduction and Reading
Can you tell the deferences among
lively, living, live, alive
含义 活泼、 lively 生动的 活着的， living 有生命的 活的， live 实况直播的 alive 活着的
功能 表语、 定语 表语、 前置定语
表语、 宾补、 后置定语
1. lively “活泼的，生动的”，
可用作表语、定语，修饰人或物。 a lively child 活泼的孩子 a lively description 生动的描述 make our classes lively 使课堂生动
2. living “有生命的，活着的”
a living plant We must improve the living conditions of the people.
living n. 生存 make a/one’s living earn a/one’s living
3. live “活生生的；现场直播的，实况
a live tiger 一只活老虎 a live show/broadcast/TV program
① The fish is still alive/living. ② Keep him alive, please. ③ He is the only man alive in the
改错: Are there any alive things on the living moon? 完成句子: 1)多么生动的演讲呀。 lively What a _____ lecture! 2)那是现场直播，不是事先录好的音。 It was a ______ broadcast, not a live recording.
The enemy captain was caught _____. A. living B. live C. alive D. lively. There will be a ____ TV broadcast of this conference this evening. A. alive B. lively C. living D. live
Decide if they are positive (+) or negative (-). intelligent + kind + lively nervous + organised + patient + popular + serious strict stupid + energetic + shy -
amusing 有趣的，可笑的 energetic 精力充沛的 funny 滑稽的 intelligent 聪明的 kind 善良的 lively 活泼的 nervous 焦虑的 organised 有组织的 patient 耐心的 popular 流行的 serious 严肃的 shy 害羞的 strict 严格的 stupid 愚蠢的
Work in pairs. Use the words to describe people you know.
Example: My math teacher is energetic but he is not very patient.
Listen to Alex, an English student, tick the statements that he agrees with. Compare your statements and Alex’s.
Do you agree with the following statements?
1. All good teachers talk a lot. 2. I think teachers need to be strict. 3. I like teachers who are amazing and can laugh with their students. 4. The most popular teachers are always very kind.
5. Good teachers always return homework quickly. 6. Good teachers make sure that everyone in the class understands. 7. You should be able to ask your teacher questions at any time during a lesson. 8. It doesn’t matter if a teacher is not organized.
Find out the teachers mentioned in the text.
To get general ideas
What is the main idea of the passage My New Teachers? The passage introduces three new teachers and the students’ impressions of them.
Mr. Wu is a good teacher because he is good-looking, energetic and humorous. Mrs. Li is a good teacher because she is kind, patient and tolerant. Mrs. Chen is a strict but good teacher because her teaching is well organized and clear.
To get detailed information
True or False 1. Mrs Li explains grammar clearly and I can follow her. T 2. Mrs Li makes me feel stupid when I make mistakes. F 3. With Mrs Li’s help, I begin to do better in English. T 4. Mrs Chen is very strict and some students don’t like her. T 5. Mr Wu is rather good-looking, so all the students like him. F
1. Which teachers do students like a lot? Mrs Li, Mr Wu. 2. Who is a very good teacher but is serious and strict? Mrs Chen. 3. What subject do you think Mrs Li is teaching? English.
4. What’s that girl’s first impression of Mrs Li? Her first impression of Mrs Li was that she was nervous and shy. 5. What do students think of Mrs Chen? She’s very strict and serious and doesn’t smile much. 6. What subject does Mrs Chen teach?
7. Why do most students in the class like Mrs. Chen? Her teaching is well organized and clear. 8. What subject does Mr Wu teach? Chinese. 9. How old is Mr Wu and how is he? He is about 28. He is energetic and rather good-looking.
10. Is Mr Wu liked by his students? Yes. 11. What does he do when he gets excited?
He talks loudly and fast, and waves his hands about a lot when he gets excited. 12. What does he do when his students get tired? He tells jokes when the students get tired.
Examples Explain grammar clearly, avoid making students feel stupid.
kind, English patient
PersonName Subject ality
Not smile serious, much, Mrs strict, none dare Physics Chen organi- to be late, ed and explain exactly clear what is happening.
Appea- PersoName Subject ance nality Examples
Talk loudly Energ- and fast, 28, etic, wave his Mr Chinese goodWu amus- hands looking ing about a lot, tell jokes sometimes.
My first impression of Mrs. Li was that she was _______ and _____. But now, nervous shy after two weeks the class really likes ____________ working with her. kind patient She is _____and_______ and explains _______ English grammar so clearly that I can understand it. She ______ making avoids __________ you feel stupid. I feel I’m going to make progress with her. ____________
Mrs. Chen is very strict and serious ____ ______ and doesn't smile much. But her teaching is so well _________ and organized appreciate clear. So most of us really _________ her. I think I’ll ______ in the exam do well with Mrs. Chen teaching me.
Mr. Wu, who teaches us ________ Chinese _________ is a good-looking man. He is literature ____________ really amusing and __________ when we tells jokes are getting ______. So we won’t _____ fall bored asleep ______ in his class and he is already very _______ with us. popular I like the three of them.