Module 6 Unexplained Mysteries of the Natural World
课题: Function, everyday English and culture corner 课型： New 编写序号：17 编写人：郑征
时间：2014. 3. 7
1. Learn how to talk about possibility and improbability
It may/ might be a big fish. It’s unlikely to be a dinosaur. 2. Everyday English: back in the news throw light on come straight to the point almost overnight die out go for quite something 3. Cultural corner: The Universal Dragon Eg.
学习过程: 课前预习案 Function: talking about possibility and improbability
1. Look at the sentences and answer the questions. a Many people think the monster may be related to Nessie. b They think there might be similar creatures in other lakes. c Scientists say the lake is unlikely to be able to support such a big creature. 1) Which sentences say that something is possible? 2) Which sentence says that something is improbable? 3) Which word is followed by to + verb? 2. Rewrite the sentences using the words in brackets. Example: Perhaps that snake is dangerous. (may) That snake may be dangerous.
1) Perhaps there are still dinosaurs somewhere. (might) There ___________________________________________________________. 2) Don’t go near the water. Perhaps it’s very deep. (may) Don’t go near the water. It __________________________________________. 3) We probably won’t see the monster. (unlikely) We are _________________________________________________________. 4) Perhaps there is an underground river from Loch Ness to the sea. (may)
There ___________________________________________________________. 5) We must help him--- perhaps he can’t swim! (may) We must help him--- he _______________________________________________. 6) There are probably lots of strange creatures in that lake. (likely) There are _______________________________________________.
1. Read the passage in cultural corner on page 59 and answer the questions. 1) How are western dragons different from Chinese dragons? 2) Do you know any dragon stories? 2. indicate vt. 表明；指示；象征 归纳拓展： indication n. indicate sth. 象征……, 表明……, 表示…… indicate sth. to sb. 向某人指出……; 向某人表示 indicate that… 示意……; 预示…… indicate + wh—从句 表明……；指出 His hesitation indicates unwillingness. 他的犹豫表明不愿意。 The light above the elevator indicated that the elevator was then at the fifteenth floor. 电梯上方的灯指示那时电梯在十五楼。 There are indications that the weather is changing. 有好些迹象显示天气要变了。 即境活用： The black clouds ___________ that it will rain soon. A. tell B. indicate C. is indicated D. indicated 3. fortune n. [U] 机会；运气 [ C] 命运；前途；财产 归纳拓展： fortunate adj. 幸运的；运气好的；吉利的 fortunately adv. 幸运地；幸亏，侥幸地 同: lucky 反: unfortunate have the fortune(luck) to do sth. 有幸干某事 receive a large fortune 收到一大笔财产 make a fortune 发财 I was fortunate to catch today’s last bus to the county at the last minute. 我在最后一分钟赶上了今天最后一班去那个县的汽车，真是幸运。 Fortunately this has not happened. 幸运的是，这一情况并未发生。 即境活用：
Many people went to the west to___________ a fortune. A. find B. search C. make D. receive 4. Everyday English: 1). If something is back in the news it is __________________. a. in the news again b. not an important news story 2). If you throw light on something you ___________________. a. switch on a light b. make it easier to understand 3). If you come straight to the point you ___________________. a. say what you want to say b. attack someone 4). If something happens almost overnight it happens __________. a. quickly b. in the dark 5). Die out is used to speak about _______________________. a. one person or animal b. a whole species 6). I’d go for the meteorite means _______________________. a. choose b. forget 7). That’s quite something refers to something _______________. a. ordinary b. extraordinary
单项选择 1. This book is ___________ to the needs of beginners. A. accustomed B. adopted C. used D. adapted 2. We kept a ________ watch on the enemy in case they got _________ to us at night. A. close; closely B. closely; close C. close; close D. closely; closely 3. He must be a man of wide knowledge, for his talk ________ various subjects. A. used B. covered C. spoke of D. thought of 4. ----Aunt Li takes good care of the children, doesn’t she? ---- Yes, she treats them _______ she were their grandmother. A. as B. if C. because of D. as if 5. The environmentalists said wild goat’s ____________ on the vast grasslands was a good indication of the better environment. A. escape B. absence C. attendance D. appearance 6. ---- Oh! What great progress you’ve made! ---- ___________________. A. It’s my pleasure B. That’s all right, keep it up C. Thank you. But I still have a long way to go D. Don’t mention it. It’s far from enough 7. The dictionary my father bought me is ____________ to me in my English
study. A. of a great help B. a great help C. great helpful D. great help 8. To my surprise, they felt _________ tired after the whole day’s work. A. too B. much C. not a little D. not a bit 9. ---- Look at the rainbow! It’s over there! ---- Oh, it ____________ it will be fine tomorrow. A. predicates B. signs C. indicates D. resorts 10. Oh, I’m not feeling well in the stomach. I ___________ so much fried chicken just now. A. shouldn’t eat B. mustn’t have eaten C. shouldn’t have eaten D. mustn’t eat 11. It’s very kind of you to do the washing- up, but you __________ it. A. mustn’t have done B. wouldn’t have done C. mightn’t have done D. didn’t have to do 12. That car nearly hit me; I ___________________. A. might be killed B. might have been killed C. may be killed D. may been killed 13. My wallet is nowhere to be found. I __________ when I was on the bus. A. must drop it B. should have dropped it C. must have dropped it D. had dropped it 14. As we joined the big crowd I got ___________ from my friends. A. separated B. spared C. lost D. missed 15. ---- Why not believe me? ---- __________, I will believe ___________ you say. A. No; whatever B. Yes; no matter what C. No; no matter what D. Yes; whatever 课后记：
1. 1) a, b 2) c 3) unlikely 2. 1) There might still be dinosaurs somewhere. 2) Don’t go near the water. It might be very deep. 3) We were unlikely to see the monster. 4) There may be an underground river from Loch Ness to the sea. 5) We must help him---he may not be able to swim. 6) There are likely to be lots of strange creatures in that lake.
1. 1) Western dragons were typically bad creatures which had to be killed; in China they were generous and wise, and associated with the royal family. 2. B 3. C 4. a b a a b a b
1-5 DCBDD 6-10 CBDCC 11-15 DBCAD