Book4 Unit 2 Working the land Period 1 warming up & reading
Learning contents: Warming up, Pre-reading and Comprehending Learning aims: 1. To grasp the main idea and structure of the
whole passage 2. To get useful information according to the text. 3. To learn something from Dr yuan and have our own dream in life. Learning steps: Step 1 Reading: Task 1 Skimming Read the text quickly and find out the main idea of each paragraph Para 1 A. Dr Yuan's dreams Para2 B. Dr Yuan's personality. Para3 C. Dr Yuan's brief life experience Para4 D. Dr Yuan's appearance and his achievement Task 2 Read the text and choose the best answer according to the text. 1. From the first paragraph, we know that _____. A. Yuan Longping is a farmer. B. Yuan Longping looks like a farmer. C. Yuan Longping has a weak body. D. Yuan Longping is China’s most famous scientist. 2. The sentence “ Just dreaming for things, however, costs nothing” in the last paragraph means that ____. A. one should have dreams B. one shouldn’t have dreams C. one’s wishes are easy to realize D. one wishes for things that cost nothing 3. From the text, we can conclude that ______. A. 60% of the rice grown in the world is from super hybrid rice B. Yuan Longping made a great contribution to the world in solving the hunger problem. C. Yuan Longping leads a very comfortable life with his high income D. Yuan Longping has the habit of having dreams when sleeping.
4. The following are all Dr Yuan’s hobbies EXCEPT _____. A. listening to violin music B. swimming and reading C. playing mah-jong D. smoking and drinking 5. the whole passage mainly talks about ______. A. How to solve the world’s hunger problem B. How to increase rice harvest C. Yuan Longping’s achievements in farming D. Yuan Longping’s daily life Task 3 Summarize the passage with proper words. Famous scientist as he is, Yuan Longping considers himself a farmer. As a young man, Yuan Longping saw the great need for increasing the rice 1.______. At the time, 2.______ was a disturbing problem in China. He wanted to increase rice harvests without 3.______ the area of the fields. In 1974, a special strain of rice made it possible to produce one-third more of the 4.______ in the same fields. 5._____ to his research, the UN has more tools in the 6._____ to rid the world of hunger. He is now 7.______ his rice knowledge in less developed countries to increase their rice harvests and he wants to 8.______ his rice so that it can be grown around the globe. Though he has 9.______ for the past five decades, Dr. Yuan is quite 10.________ with his life. In his spare time, he enjoys listening to violin music, playing mah-jong, swimming and reading. Step 2 Read the text and find out the following phrases. 1.超三分之一植物 2. 毕业于 3. 寻找做某事途径 4. 自那时以来 5. 由于，多亏 6. 消除世界饥饿 7. 在意 8.梦中醒来 9. 对......满足 10. 给某人更多自由 11. 使某人具备做某事的能力或条件 12. 怀着...的希望 13. 过着舒适的生活 14. 而不是
Step 3 Fill in the blanks with proper words of forms of the given words. A Pioneer For All People Although he is one of China’s most famous 1._______ (scientist), Yuan Longping considers 2.______ a farmer, for he works the land to do his research. Indeed, his sunburnt face and arms and his slim, strong body are just 3._____ those of millions of Chinese farmers, 4._____ whom he has struggled for the past five decades. Yuan Longping grows 5.______ is called super hybrid rice. In 1973, he became the first agricultural pioneer in the world 6. _______ (grow) rice that has a high output. This special strain of rice makes 7. _______ possible to produce 20% more of the crop in the same fields. Now more than 60% of the rice produced in China each year 8. _______(be) from this hybrid strain. Born in 1930, Yuan Longping graduated 9. _______ Southwest Agricultural College in 1953. Since then, finding ways to grow more rice 10. _______ (be) his life goal. 11. _______ a young man, he saw the great need 12. _______ increasing the rice output. At that time, hunger was a 13. _______(disturb) problem in many parts of the countryside. Yuan Longping searched for a way to increase rice harvests without 14. _______ (expand) the area of the fields. In 1950, Chinese farmers could produce about fifty-six million tons of rice. In a recent harvest, 15. _______, nearly two hundred million tons of rice was produced. These increased harvests mean that 22% of the world’s people 16. _______(feed) form just 7% of the farmland in the world. Yuan Longping is now circulating his knowledge in India, Vietnam and many other less 17. _______(develop) countries to increase their rice harvests. Thanks 18. _______ his research, the UN has more tools in the battle to rid the world of 19. _______(hungry). Using this hybrid rice, farmers are producing harvests twice as large 20. _______ before. Yuan Longping is quite satisfied 21. _______ his life. However, he doesn’t care 22. _______ being famous. He feels it gives him less 23. _______(free) to do his research. He would much rather keep time 24. _______ his hobbies. He enjoys listening to violin music, playing mah-jong, swimming and reading. Spending money 25. _______ himself or leading a comfortable also 26. _______(mean) very little to him. Indeed, he believes that a person with too much money has more rather than fewer troubles. He 27. _______ give millions of yuan 28. _______ (equip) others for their research in agriculture. Just dreaming for things, however, costs nothing. Long ago Yuan Longping had a dream about rice plants as tall as sorghum. Each ear of rice was as big as an ear of corn and each grain of rice was as huge as a peanut. He 29. _______(wake) from his dream 30. _______ the hope of producing a kind of rice that could feed more people. Now, many years later, Yuan Longping has another dream: to export his rice so that it can be grown around the globe. One dream is not always enough, especially for a person who loves and cares 31. _______ his people.
Book 4 Unit 2 Working the land Period 2 language points
Learning contents: The important words, phrases and sentences in Reading. Learning aims: Learn how to use some important words and phrases in the text. words and phrases: 1. struggle vi./n. 斗争; 拼搏; 努力 (1) Japanese have to struggle with/against the damage caused by the earthquake. (2) In the end, they may lose the last chance of success that they have been struggling for so many years. (3) It is our duty that we should struggle to prevent pollution from destroying the earth. (4) The lion made a sudden angry noise and struggle to its feet. Exercise: (1) As long as you struggle ____ your dream, you will succeed one day. (2) China’s universities will struggle _____ money troubles during the next 10 years as they continue to enroll fewer students. (3) After he was knocked down by a car which escaped immediately, he struggled _____ his feet and called 110. (4) After __________ (struggle) for months to find a job, Dina finally took a position at a local advertising agency. (5) (correction) We should consider our duty to struggle against the rumors on the Internet. 2. equip vt. 装备; 配备 _______ n. 装备 (1) The course is designed to equip farmers with knowledge of watering and weeding. (2) Equipped with much experience in teaching, the teacher is popular among students. (3) The course (that is) designed to equip students for a career in nursing is very boring. (4) It is a modern, well equipped hospital, and all its equipment is of high quality. Exercise: (1) We students should equip ourselves _____ knowledge _____ the competition nowadays is very fierce. (2) Your training will equip you _____ the future job. (3) It is required that all the cars of vehicle companies _______ (equip) with
safety belts. (4) _____ with the most advanced ______, the robot got the first place in the competition. (equip) (5) It is said that the equipment of the factory as well as its products ____ (be) expensive. 3. would rather (1) Because of too much pressure in their work, more and more people would rather work in the countryside, which is called downshifting(转换低速； 慢节 奏的生活). (2) Li Daiyu and her cousin Lin Qian would rather not take the airplane all the way to Canada. (3) I would rather watch TV at home than watch a boring movie at the cinema. (4) Rather than get money in such a dishonest way, he would beg in the streets. (5) The kids are so naughty in the office room that I would rather they went home now. (6) John wants to see me today. I would rather he came tomorrow. (7) I would rather you hadn’t told him the news that day. Exercise: (1) (correction)Rather than riding on a crowded bus, he would go to work on foot. (2) I would rather I __________ (not prevent) from taking part in the competition now. (3) I would rather you ________ (settle) the problem in a friendly atmosphere yesterday. 4. rid sb / sth of…使……摆脱…… get rid of sth (1) The new government has taken powerful measures to rid our nation of corruption since President Xi came into power. (2) Maybe we should rid ourselves of modern technology and return to simpler times. (3) Getting rid of smoking is a rather difficult task, which calls for determination and high standards of self-discipline. Exercise: (1) It is _____ (rid) them of poverty that causes them to regain courage and confidence in life. (2) Left at home alone, he felt afraid and couldn’t rid himself ____ fear. Sentences: 1. Using his hybrid rice farmers are producing harvests twice as large as before. （1） The output of TV sets in our factory is 15 times that of 1984. （2） The output of TV sets in our factory is 15 times what it was in 1984. （3） The rainfall of this area this year is twice that of last year. （4） The rainfall of this area this year is twice what it was last year.
Exercise: Translation 这个新建的广场是之前的 4 倍大. (1) The newly-built square is ______________ the previous one.(as) (2) The newly-built square is ______________ the previous one.(larger) (3) The newly-built square is ______________ the previous one.(size) (4) This tower is ______________ (3 倍高)of that building. (5) Physics is __________________ math.(物理是数学一样难的一门学科) (6) He earns ___________________ his wife.(他赚的钱是他妻子的 2 倍多) (7) He has read ___________________ me up to now.(迄今为止他读的小说是我 的 2 倍多) (8) Translation (2 ways):这个村子现在的人口是 1960 的 10 倍.
(9) (correction) Thanks to modern agriculture, the production of crops is more than those of 1980. (10) The length of the road is twice _____ it was three years ago. (11)(correction) The living room of this house is twice size of the bedroom, which suits the family pretty well. (12)(correction)John, who is sixteen this year, eats twice as many food as his father. (13) Smoking is harmful to people’s health, killing 7 times ____ (many) people each year than traffic accident. 2. This special strain of rice makes it possible to produce one-third more of the crop in the same fields. (1) As a league member, he thinks it his duty to help others when they are in trouble. (2) No matter where he is, he makes it a rule to go for a walk after supper. (3) The two girls are so alike that strangers find it difficult to tell one form the other. (4) It is typical of him to be late, so we all think it no use/no good/useless waiting for him. Exercises: (1) Wherever he is, he makes _____ a rule to read newspaper every morning. (2) I find it _____ (possible) to master a language without much memory work. (3) She feels it her responsibility _____ (take) good care of her sick mother. Others: (1) Thanks ___ the warm-hearted policeman, the couple found their son taken to another far-away city by 5 children-dealer. (2) Progress so far has been very good. _______, we are sure that the project will be completed ____ time. (3) He is always the first person _______ (arrive) and is always working hard. (4) The people in the earthquake-striken area were ____ great need of help.
(5) He cares _____ playing the piano but he doesn’t care ____ detail in life. (6) The disease prevent the blood from ______ (circulate) freely, which will cause the death quickly. (7) Open the window to keep the air ______ (circulate) in the bedroom going better. (8) Since the time human started gardening, we have been trying _______ (make) our environment more successful. (9) Try ______ (knock) at the back door if nobody hears you at the front door. (10) Never buy shoes without trying them ____. (11) The new kind of engine must be tried ____ before they are sold. (12) The manager put down the phone, ______(satisfy) with the solution to the problem. (13) To the ______ (satisfy) of our customers, the product worked well. (14) The teacher expressed her _______(satisfy) with my composition on “organic farming”. (15) The result of this experiment was very _______. Not only did we feel ______ with it, but our teacher looked at us with _______. (satisfy) (16) In order to know more people, it is important _________ (expand) your contact list beyond just family and friends. (17) The construction of the highway contributes to the ______(expand) of the population of the small town. (18) The teacher advised me to expand my story _____ a novel.
Book4 Unit 2 Working the land Period 3 Grammar
Learning contents: grammar: v-ing. Learning aims: master the v-ing used as subject and object. Ⅰ. Observe the following sentences, paying attention to the forms and functions of v-ing. (1) Leaving the moon’s gravity was not as painful as leaving the earth’s. But returning to the earth was very frightening. (2) Losing your way in a forest is common. (3) Writing stories and articles is what we enjoy most. (4) Chatting with them improves our mind. (5) Staying up late is not a good habit. forming: . function: (6) It is awaste of time doing such a thing. (7) It is no good arguing with them. (8) It is no use crying over spilt milk. (9) It is no pleasure looking through dirty curtains hanging before dusty windows any longer because nature is one thing that really must be experienced. forming: . function: (10) As is often the case, being made fun of in public will make us embarrassed. (11) Being invited to the party was really a great honor to the family. (12) Being exposed to the sun for a long time is bad for your skin. (13) Being admitted to a key university is every student’s dream. forming: . function: (14) The premier ’s attending the ceremony on his own gave the whole nation a great deal of encouragement. (15) His not being elected our chairman made us very frustrated. forming: . function: (16) The roses need / require / want watering at once. (17) I tried to avoid seeing her. (18) I don’t feel like going there again. forming: . function: (19) They found it troublesome solving this problem. (20) We consider it worthwhile spending some time reading more. forming: . function:
(21) The cat ran away to avoid being caught. (22) He was in low spirits because of losing the match and even imagined being blamed. forming: . function: (23) All of us are afraid of being laughed at in public. (24) We must take some effective measures to prevent the stadium from being broken into. forming: . function: (25) Is there any hope of Xiao Wang’s winning? (26) I’m not fond of Tom talking to his mother in this way. forming: . function: (27) He insists on the plan being carried out. (28) In western countries many people are fond of tea being served in the afternoon. forming: . function: Summary: 1.动名词的一般式有 __________ 和 _____________. 其中 _________ 表主动含 义，___________表被动含义。 2.动名词的复合结构为__________________. 3.动名词通常在句中可做_______，_________和定语，表语。 Attention: 1. 动名词作主语，谓语常用 形式。 2. 否定式 3. 动名词的复合结构由物主代词， 名词所有格 ， 人称代词宾格 或 普 通格加动名词构成，动名词的复合结构在句子开头作主语时必须用 或 ，即___________.如果动名词的复合结构作宾语，其逻 辑主语是无生命的名词时用 ,即____________. 4. 下列动词及短语常接 v-ing. admit; advise; allow; appreciate; avoid; consider; delay; deny; enjoy; escape; finish; fancy; forbid; imagine; keep; mind; miss; permit; postpone; practice; quit; require; need; want; risk; suggest; stand; dislike be worth; be busy(in) doing; keep on; insist on; stick to; give up; put off; can’t help; devote…to; contribute to; feel like; get down to; get used to; look forward to; pay attention to; succeed in; spend time / money (in) doing; waste time / money (in) doing; there is no point / sense (in) doing; have difficulty / trouble / fun (in) doing; can’t stand; burst out Ⅱ. The following verbs can be followed by “doing” or “to do”, can you tell the difference? 1. go on to do sth / go on doing sth.
I went on to sweep the floor after I finished cleaning the windows. Mother went on telling her story. 2. remember to do sth / remember doing sth (having done sth). Did you remember to feed the animals. Do you remember meeting me for the first time? 3. forget to do sth / forget doing sth (having done sth). She forgot to post the letter. I’ll never forget meeting my school headmaster for the first time. 4. stop to do sth / stop doing sth. He stopped to say hello to his teacher on his way home. We stopped eating when a stranger came in.
( ( ( ( ( ( ( (
) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) )
5. try to do sth / try doing sth. Try to write better in your exam. ( Since the front door won’t open, why not try opening the back door? ( 6. mean to do sth / mean doing sth. I had meant to give back his book today, but I forgot. Choice always means giving up something. 7. regret to do sth / regret doing sth ( having done sth) I regret to tell you that you have lost the last chance. How much I have regretted not taking his advice. ( ( ( (
Exercise: I Fill in the blanks with the proper forms of the given verbs or phrases. 1. (make) a fist and (shake) it always mean that someone is angry and threatening another person. 2. They may start as a group of high-school students, for whom (practise) their music in someone’s house is the first step to fame. 3. (watch) a family of chimps wake up is our first activity of the day. 4. After (graduate) from college, we finally got the chance to take a bike trip. 5. The fact is that I earned my passage by (work) as an unpaid hand, which accounts for my appearance. 6. The things went wrong. Freddy and his friends found it difficult to go out without (follow). 7. She spent years (observe) and (record) their daily activities. 8. I apologized for not (able) inform him one of the changes in the plan. II Correct the following sentences. 1. Him not coming made everyone present very disappointed. 2. I happened to hear of he having been chosen to be the coach of the team.
3. Since it is a little hot here, I don’t mind he opening the window. 4. Mary being ill made all of us upset. We all hope she can be well soon. 5. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I regret to say those words this morning. 6. It is too cold today. Why not try to fill some hot water in the tank to get the car starting? 7. Jack turning up suddenly at the party made all the people present surprised. 8. Knowing more about the tricks that the salesmen may usually use can help you avoid argued into buying what you don’t need. 9. They being admitted into ideal universities means that the efforts which they had made has paid off. 10. I’m to blame for the chairman’s coming late, for I forgot reminding him of the time of the meeting before he left work yesterday. 11. I’m sorry to say that your composition needs corrected. There are some serious mistakes. III Complete the following sentences. 1. As a new driver, I have to ( 练习泊车 ) the car in my small garage again and again. (park) 2. It was (凯特的迟到) that made the head teacher angry. (come) 3. The old couple’s only son has worked abroad long and they are looking forward to (得到他的音讯). (hear) 4. Joseph is a man of few words. I can’t imagine (他作演 讲) in the general meeting. (deliver) 5. I still remember (被带去 ) Beijing when I was a child, though most memory of the trip has escaped from my mind. (take) 6. My dad, a heavy smoker, is now devoting his spare time to (寻找信息) on giving up smoking. (search) 7. She was not used to ( 和 … … 打 交 道 ) people of high social rank. Therefore, she refused to attend the party held by the son of Prime Minister. (deal) 8. Since there is still a long way to go, you’d better try (轮流) to drive, or you may be exhausted. (turn) 9. Some students are fluent in English. They have no difficulty (和……交流) foreigners. (communicate) 10. With the boy leading the way, we had no trouble (找到入口) the gallery. (approach) 11. Rod is a stubborn person. You can’t imagine the difficulty we had (说服他) accepting our suggestions. (persuade)
Book 4 Unit 2 Working the land Period 4 Using language
Learning contents: Using language. Learning aims: 1. To practice different reading skills. 2. To learn some words, phrases and sentences. Step1Reading comprehension Read the text and choose the best answer according to the text. 1. Which statement is WRONG according to the text? A. Long-term use of chemical fertilizers can cause damage to the land. B. Chemicals in food can lead to cancer or other illnesses. C. Organic farming is simply farming without using any fertilizers D. Scientists believe some chemical fertilizers are better for people. 2. Which is not the reason why organic farmers prefer natural waste from animals? A. It can keep the food free from chemicals. B. It can keep the air, soil and water free from chemicals. C. It can kill harmful pests. D. It can make the soil richer in minerals. 3. The organic farmers do the following things except ______. A. Adding fertilizers which are rich in minerals B. Changing crops every two or three years C. Planting crops in different layers of the soil D. Planting grass between crops to prevent the soil from being flown away 4. What is the main idea of the fourth paragraph? A. Long-term use of chemical fertilizers can cause damage to the land and people’s health. B. Problems caused by chemical fertilizers. C. Farmers and customers turn to organic farming. D. Other methods to keep the soil fertile. 5. How many ways do the organic farmers use to keep their soil fertile? A. 3 B. 4 C. 5 D. 6 Step2 Careful-reading Find out the methods and advantages in the passage.
Advantages of methods 1.This makes the soil richer in _____ and 1.Farmers use natural waste from _____. so more ______. 2.Changing the crops _____ the minerals 2.Farmers often change the kind of cropin in the soil and helps it become rich and _____ field every few years. healthy. 3.Farmers plant crops with different 3.This uses different _____ of soil. lengths of _____. 4.Farmers sometimes plant ____between 4.This____ wind or water from carrying crops and leave it in the ground. away soil and acts as a ____ fertilizer. Step 3 Read the text and find the following phrases 1、在过去半个世纪里 7、没有疾病 2、导致；通向 8、使……免受 3、积聚，树立 9、另外 4、集中于 10、求助于 5、对……造成损害 11、每隔几年 6、把……洗掉 12、避免做 Step4 Fill in the blanks with proper words of forms of the given words. Over the past half century, using chemical fertilizers 1.________(become) very common in farming. Many farmers welcomed them2. ________ a great way to stop crop disease and increase 3. ________(produce). Recently, however, scientists have been finding that long-term use of these fertilizers can cause damage 4. ________ the land and, even more 5. ________(danger), to people's health. What are some of the problems 6. ________(cause) by chemical fertilizers? First, they damage the land by killing the 7. ________(help) bacteria and pests as well as the harmful ones. Chemicals also stay in the ground and underground water for a long time. This affects crops and, 8.________, animals and humans, since chemicals get 9. ________ the crops and cannot just be washed off. These chemicals in the food supply build up in people's bodies over time. Many of these chemicals can lead to cancer or other 10. ________(illness). In addition, fruit, vegetables and other food 11. ________(grow) with chemical fertilizers usually grow too fast 12. ________(full) of much nutrition. They may look beautiful, but inside there is usually more water than vitamins and minerals. With these 13. ________(discover), some farmers and many customers are beginning to turn 14. ________organic farming. Organic farming is 15. ________(simple) farming without using any chemicals. They focus on 16. ________(keep) their soil rich and free of disease. A healthy soil reduces disease and helps crops grow strong and healthy. Organic farmers, therefore, often prefer using natural waste from animals 17. ________fertilizer. They feel that this makes the soil in their fields 18. ________(rich) in minerals and so more fertile. This also keeps the air, soil, water and crops free 19. ________chemicals.
Methods of organic farming
Organic farmers also use many other methods to keep the soil fertile. They often change the kind of crop in each field every few years, for example, growing corn or wheat and then the next year peas or soybeans. Crops such as peas or soybeans put important minerals back into the soil, 20. ________(make) it ready for crops such as wheat or corn that need rich and fertile soil. Organic farmers also plant crops to use different 21. ________(level) of soil, for example, planting peanuts that use the ground's surface followed by vegetables that put down deep roots. Some organic farmers prefer planting grass between crops 22.________ (prevent) wind or water from carrying away the soil, and then leaving it in the ground to become a natural fertilizer for the next year's crop. These many different organic farming methods have the same goal: to grow good food and avoid 23. ________(damage) the environment or people's health. Step5. Words and phrases 1. Confuse vt.使迷惑, 使为难 (1) We can conclude from his confused look that he is confused about this confusing problem. (2) Be careful not to confuse “aboard” with “abroad”, which are very similar. (3) He looked at me in confusion and did not answer the question. Exercise: (1) The _____(confuse) look on her face suggested she _________(confuse) about the instructions. (2) People often confuse me _____ my twin sister. 2. comment n. 评论,议论 vt./vi. 表达意见; 作出评论 (1) Don’t offer comments if you cannot understand the real meaning. (2) Many countries made comments on/ upon the failed satellite launch. (3) Users will be encouraged to comment on/upon the material. Exercise: (1) He _____(comment) it was an excellent movie. (2) (correction) She made helpful comment on my scheme yesterday. 3. build up 增多／增强／创建 What does build up mean in the following sentences? (1)After four o’clock especially during the rush-hour, the traffic begins to build up. ( ) (2)If you are to succeed, to begin with, you should build up your confidence. ( ) (3)Practicing Chinese Kunfu can not only build up one’s strength, but also develop one’s character. ( ) (4)She has built up a very successful business. ( ) Exercise: (1) With all the pressure _____ (build) up, his health broke down. (2) In order to keep fit, you need more energy-giving food ______ (build) up your body.
4. lead to 通往; 导致 What does lead to mean in the following sentences? (1) As the old saying goes, all roads lead to Rome. ( ) (2) His carelessness led to his failing in the last exam. ( ) (3) The new discovery has led scientists to think up other solutions to the problem. ( ) Exercise: (1) It was the discovery of new evidences that ____ (lead) to the thief’s being caught. (2) He can’t remember whether he has locked the door _____ (lead) to the garden. (3) His drunk driving is reported ___________ (lead) to the accident. 5. focus on 聚焦 What does focus on mean in each sentence? (1) The discussion focused on three main problems. ( ) (2) As a student, you should focus your attention / mind on your work and study. ( ) Exercises: (1) Only by ______ (focus) your attention on what you are learning can you learn it well. (2) All his attention _____ (focus) on his business, he has no time to spend with his family. (3) (correction) With all the eyes focusing on him, the speaker felt slightly nervous. 6. keep…free from / of 使……免于…… (1) The man tried everything to keep himself free from doubt. (2) It is suggested that measures should be taken to keep the river free of pollution. Exercise: (1) It was several weeks before the drug _____(keep) him completely free of pain. (2) Relaxation exercises can keep your body free _______ tension. Others: (1) This kind of fish is rich ____ oil, which is good for people who have heart trouble. (2) An investigation was ordered after the ______ (discover) that 89,000 dollars was missing from the account. (3) Costs of these products have been reduced ______ 20% over the past year. (4) It was difficult to guess what her _____ (react) to the news would be. (5) Much ____ our regret, such an excellent student shouldn’t have been admitted to a key university. (6) He told me _____ great regret that he had finally lost the game. (7) She deeply regretted ________ (lose) her temper. (8) We regret ________ (tell) you that your application has not been successful.
Keys: Period 1 Task1: DCBA Task2: BABDC Task3: 1. output 2. hunger 3. expanding 4. crop 5. Thanks 6. battle 7. Circulating 8. Export 9.Struggled 10. Satisfied Step2 : 1 one third more of plants 2 graduate from 3 search for a way to do sth 4 since then 5thanks to 6 rid the world of hunger 7 care about 8 awake from one’s dream 9 be satisfied with 10 give sb more freedom 11 equip sb for sth 12 with the hope of 13 lead a comfortable life 14 rather than Step3: 1. scientists 2. as 3. like 4. for 5. what 6. to grow 7. it 8. is 9. from 10. has been 11. As 12. for 13. disturbing 14. expanding 15. however 16. are fed 17. developed 18. to 19. hunger 20. as 21. with 22. about 23. freedom 24. for 25. on 26. means 27. therefore 28. to equip 29. awoke 30. with 31. For Period 2 Words and phrases: 1 struggle: (1) for (2) with/against (3) to (4) struggling (5) ^ it 2 equip: (1) with, for (2) for (3) (should) be equipped (4) Equipped, equipment (5) is 3 would rather: (1) ridding—ride (2) wasn’t prevented (3) had settled 4 get rid of: (1) ridding (2) of Sentences: 1: (1)4 times as large as (2)4 times larger than (3)4 times the size of (4) 3 times the height (5)as difficult a subject as (6)twice as much money as (7)twice as many novels (8)The population of this village now is that of 1960. The population of this village now is what it was in 1960. (9) those—that (10) what (11) ^length, the (12) many--much (13) more 2: (1) it (2) impossible (3) to make Others: (1) to (2) Therefore, on (3) to arrive (4) in (5) for, about (6) circulating (7) circulation (8) to make (9) knocking (10) on (11) out (12) satisfied (13) satisfaction (14) satisfaction (15) satisfying, satisfied, satisfaction (16) to expand (17) expansion (18) into Period 3 I doing, 主; doing, 形式主; being done, 主; one’s doing/ one’s being done,主; doing, 动词宾; doing, 形式宾; being done, 动词宾; being done, 介词宾语; one’s doing/sb.doing, 介词宾; being done, 介词宾 summary: 1. doing, being done, doing, being done 2. sb./ sb’s doing 3. 主语, 宾语
Attention: 1. 单数 2. not doing, not being done 3. 名词所有格, 物主代词, sb’s doing, 人称代词宾格, sb. doing Exercise: I 1 Making, shaking 2 practicing 3 Watching 4 graduating 5 working 6 being followed 7 observing, recording 8 being able to II 1 Him—his 2 he—him 3he--him 4 Mary’s 5 saying/having said 6 filling 7 Jack—Jack’s 8^being 9 They—Their 10reminding—to remind 11 corrected--correcting III 1 practicing parking 2 Kate’s coming late 3 hearing from 4 him/his delivering a speech 5 being taken 6 searching for information 7 dealing with 8 taking turns 9 (in) communicating 10 (in) finding the approach to 11 (in) persuading him into Period 4 Step1 DCADB Step2 animals, minerals, fertile; each, renews; roots, levels; grass, prevents, natural Step31over the past half century 2lead to 3build up 4 focus on 5cause damage to… 6wash…off 7free of disease 8keep…free from/of 9in addition 10 turn to 11every few years 12avoid doing… Step4 1 has become 2 as 3 production 4 to 5 dangerous 6 caused 7 helpful 8 therefore 9 inside 10 illnesses 11 grown 12 to be full 13 discoveries 14 to 15 simply 16 keeping 17 as 18 richer 19 from 20 making 21 levels 22 to prevent 23 damaging Exercise: 1 (1) confused, was confused (2) with 2 (1) commented (2) comments 3 (1) building (2) to build 4 (1) led (2) leading (3) to have led 5 (1) focusing (2) focused (3) focused 6 (1) kept (2) from/of Others: (1) in (2) discovery (3) by (4) reaction (5) to (6) with (7) losing (8) to tell