Reading Comprehension I
Skimming: Go over the story to find out
who the speaker is. Write down 3 sentences to It is a computer. support your idea. ● I was
built as an Analytical Machine by Charles Babbage.” ●”My real father was Alan Turing ....” ● I was able to share my knowledge with others through the World Wide Web.
Reading Comprehension I
2. What’s the main idea of this passage? A. The development of computers. B. The development and use of computers. C. A machine which is simple-minded. D. Computers may replace human beings.
3) What can you infer from the text? A. The computer has artificial intelligence. B. The computer changes a lot over the years. C. The computer was not connected by a network until in the early 1960s. D. Now the computer can only be used to deal with information.
Reading Comprehension II
Finish the timeline below. The computer began as a 1642 calculating machine． The analytical machine was made by 1822 Charles Babbage. The computer grew rapidly both in 1936 size and in brainpower.
The computer had grown as large 1940s as a room. The first family of computers was 1960s connected to each other. Computers were used in offices 1970s and homes. Computers connect people all over Now the world together.
Reading Comprehension III Match the main ideas and the paragraphs. These changes only became Para 1: possible as my memory improved. Para 2: Since the 1970s many new applications have been found for me. Para 3: Over time I have been changed quite a lot.
Reading Comprehension Complete the chart below. Para- Para- Paragraph 1 graph 2 graph 3
Topic sentence Supporting details
Paragraph 1 Topic sentence Over time I have been changed quite a lot.
Supporting 1 calculating machine details 2 analytical machine 3 universal machine 4 PC 5 laptop
Topic sentence These changes only became possible as my memory improved. Supporting 1 tubes details 2 transistors 3 chips 4 network 5 World Wide Web
Topic sentence Since the 1970s many new applications have been found for me. Supporting 1 communications 2 finance 3 trade details 4 robots 5 mobile phones 6 medical operations 7 space rockets 8 providing a life of high quality
? A topic sentence sets out the main idea of a paragraph. ? A topic sentence is usually the first or last sentence of a paragraph.
True or False
1. Alan Turing built an Machine to a Analytical universal machine solve any mathematical problems. F 2. People began to realize that the computer got T cleverer and quicker with time passing. 3. The computer began to serve the human race since it was brought into people’s homes. F its birth 4. Since the 1970s, the computer was used by T people around the world through the Internet. 5. The largersmall the computer the more memory I became and thin is, but I got cleverer and F it has. cleverer, quicker and quicker. And my memory became so large that I couldn’t believe it!
Q1: How did the computer work as an Analytical Machine?
The computer followed instructions from cards with holes.
2. Which sentence can be replaced (代 替）in the passage by the following?
Later, I become so clever that I can remember everything you told me. Over time my memory has developed so much that, like an elephant, I never forget anything I have been told.
Q3: how did computer change in its size, intelligence, speed, function? And how about people’s opinion? Size: smaller Intelligence: cleverer
dealing with …, Function: calculating? communicating with… clever People’s opinion: simple-minded? & useful
Fill in the blanks: calculating ________ machine I began as a _______ in 1642 in France. In 1822 I was built as an Analytical Machine Then in 1936 Alan Turing _____ ______. universal machine wrote a book and built a _______ ______. gone ___, by As the years have___ I have been made smaller and smaller and cleverer ___ ___ ____ but I got cleverer ____ ____ ___, quicker quicker ____ and __ ____. In the 1960s they gave me a family____ __ __ _____. connected by a networkNow people call it people’s the Internet. I wasbrought _____ into ____ ____homes ___ in the 1970s.So I became PC. Since my birth I have truly been built to serve the human race
Changes of the machine
Analytical machine Universal machine
Machine with new transistor A family connected by a network
Machine with artificial intelligence A family used by the Internet
What can we know from the following sentences
1. Over time I have been changed quite a lot.
2. I began as a calculating machine in France in 1642.
3. It took nearly two hundred years before I was built as an analytical machine.
4. After I was programmed by an operator who used cards with holes, I could “think” logically and produce an answer quicker than any person. 5. These changes only became possible as my memory improved.
6. I never forget anything I have been told.
7. I was able to share my knowledge with others through the World Wide Web.
8. My goal is to provide humans with a life of high quality. 9. I am now truly filled with happiness. 10. I am a devoted friend and helper of the human race.
For Surfing online is harmful to the young Against
A waste of time A waste of money
Surfing online is harmful to the young
Have bad effect on study
Against Surfing online is good to the young
Brainstorm a list of things that you, your school and your family use computers for. Think about what you would have to do if you could not use computers any more.