Part 1 Warming Up, Pre-reading, Reading and Comprehending I. 根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字母或汉语提示，写出所缺单词的正确形 式。 1. Tom was so ______ (心烦意乱的) that he didn’t reply to your letters. 2. I’
m afraid trouble will follow if you ______ (忽视) your diet. 3. Cold as it is, the children are still playing ______ (在户外). 4. Are you sure you ______ (完全地) understand the importance of this task? 5. The ______ (窗帘) was suddenly drawn and a bright light shone in. 6. After the terrible storm, the town becomes very d______. 7. Jim has a practical ______ (伙伴) who organizes everything for him. 8. Never tell her a secret; she has got a l______ tongue. II. 选用方框内合适的短语，并用其适当形式填空。 have got to; go through; in order to; be concerned about; 1. ______, there’s nothing to worry about. 2. The street lights come on ______ and go off at dawn. 3. These days, people ______ good nutrition, which is important for health. 4. As a writer, I like to ______ my feelings ______ on paper. 5. Staff will hold ______ meetings over the next few weeks. 6. I think all these mistakes are made ______ just to annoy me. 7. We started early ______ arrive there before dark. 8. The couple are standing there, ______. 9. He used to be a famous pianist, but he ______ plays the piano. 10. Jack was really unlucky because he ______ one hardship after an-other. 11. ______ 6, 7 and 8 and you’ll get 21. 12. In that country, if you earn more than $5,000 a month, you will ______ pay tax. add up; set down; face to face; on purpose; calm down; a series of; no longer; at dusk
III. 根据汉语提示，将下列句子补充完整。 1. 我们去度假之前把所有门窗都关好了。 We shut up the house before ______ ______ ______. 2. 我在为学期论文做调研时，发现了一些有关美国历史的新资料。 ______ ______ ______ for my term paper, I discovered something new about American history. 3. 我确信你会成为一位好老师。 I’m sure you will ______ ______ ______ ______. 4. 因为你是英语初学者，没有人会笑话你的。 Nobody will ______ ______ ______ since you’re a beginner of English. 5. 许多阅读障碍似乎与智力没多大关系。 Many reading disorders seem to ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ intelligence. 6. 我对迈克尔·杰克逊的音乐爱的发狂。 I’m really ______ ______ Michael Jackson’s music. 7. 这地方 1949 年是什么样子我记得很清楚。 I ______ ______ what the place looked like in 1949. Part 2 Learning about Language I. 根据下列各句句意及所给单词的汉语提示，写出所缺单词的正确形式。 1. The ______ (手提箱) burst open and its contents rained on the floor. 2. Although I am wearing a(n) ______ (大衣), I am still cold. 3. She has not decided how to ______ (解决) the matter. 4. It took her a long time to ______ (恢复) from the bad cold. 5. I’m leaving in an hour and I haven’t ______ (打行李) yet! 6. These companies ______ (遭受) huge losses in the big fire. II. 从 A、B、C、D 四个选项中，选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项。 1. The student asked his teacher ______ round the earth. A. if the moon goes or not B. that the moon went C. whether the moon goes D. whether the moon went
2. He asked me ______. A. what the weather would be like tomorrow B. what the weather would be like the next day C. how the weather would be like tomorrow D. how would the weather be like the next day 3. The mother said that it ______ time that they ______ supper. A. was; had C. is; have B. was; had had D. is; have had
4. The boss asked his secretary ______ he had finished typing the report ______. A. if; or not C. whether; or not B. if; not D. whether; not
5. She looks sad. Could you tell me ______ that pre-vents her from being as happy as before? A. what it is C. how it is B. it is what D. it is how
III. 将下列直接引语变为间接引语。 1. The shop assistant asked me, “Do you like the red or the yellow dress?” →_______________________________________. 2. My mother asked me, “You have finished your homework, haven’t you?” →_______________________________________. 3. Dick asked, “How much did you pay for the bike?” →_______________________________________. 4. Ann said, “My friend moved to Paris in 1998.” →_______________________________________. 5. Jim said, “I like swimming and I want to go swimming this afternoon.” →_______________________________________. Part 3 Using Language I. 根据上下文及所给单词的首字母或汉语提示，写出所缺单词的正确形式。 1. A: People should stop using their cars and start using public transport. B: E______. The roads are too crowded.
2. A: Can you give me some t______ on how to improve my spoken English? B: Just practice more. 3. A: The grammar rules are very easy. Don’t you think so? B: I d______. In my opinion, English is a very difficult language. 4. A: I think t______ should not be allowed to go out with their friends at night. B: I couldn’t agree more. It’s dangerous for them to hang out at night. 5. A: It’s too late. Let us go on to the next ______ (项目) tomorrow. B: Good idea. See you tomorrow! II. 根据汉语提示，完成下列句子。 Susan: Hi, Maria! Long time no see. 1. ____________ ______________ （你和你的新室友相处如何）? Maria: Not very well. In fact, I am having some trouble with her. Susan: What’s up? Maria: My roommate 2. ____________________ （不喜欢早点睡觉） and she surfs the Internet deep into the night every day while 3. ______________________ （我确实憎恨熬夜）. Susan: Why not have a talk with her about it? Maria: I find it hard to speak out the truth. 4. ________________________ （如果你 给我一些建议我将很感激）. Susan: Just speak out. Firstly, her behaviour has affected your health. 5. ______________________ （其次， 熬夜对她也是有伤害的） Thirdly, it will damage . your friendship if she continues. Maria: You’re right. Thank you, Susan. I’ll have a try. III. 根据括号内的提示，将下列句子翻译成英语。 1. 他爱上如此美丽的姑娘是很自然的事。 （fall in love with） 2. 我不会与不诚实的人交朋友。 （make friends with） 3. 你知道他们中间有多少人参加了讨论吗? （join in） 4. 这个男孩很固执，他从来不采纳别人的建议。
（take one’s advice） IV. 根据所给句子，使用适当的连词将两个句子合成一个句子。 1. Life is limited. There is no limit to learning. 2. I didn’t go to bed until eleven last night. I got up late this morning. 3. He came. Then he went. 4. He speaks French well. He speaks English well. 5. We should be brave. We should be careful.
Keys: Part 1:
I. 1. upset 5. curtain 2. ignore 6. dusty 3. outdoors 7. partner 2. at dusk 4. set; down 6. on purpose 8. face to face 10. went through 12. have got to 2. While doing research 4. laugh at you 6. crazy about 4. entirely 8. loose
II. 1. Calm down 3. are concerned about 5. a series of 7. in order to 9. no longer 11. Add up III. 1. going on holiday 3. make a good teacher 5. have nothing to do with 7. well remember
I. 1. suitcase 4. recover II. 1-5 CBACA III. 1. The shop assistant asked me whether I liked the red or the yellow dress. 2. My mother asked me if I had finished my homework. 3. Dick asked me how much I had paid for the bike. 2. overcoat 5. packed 3. settle 6. suffered
4. Ann said that her friend moved to Paris in 1998. 5. Jim said (that) he liked swimming and that he wanted to go swimming that afternoon.
I. 1. Exactly 4. teenagers II. 1. How are you getting along with your new room-mate 2. dislikes going to bed early 3. I hate staying up 2. tips 5. item 3. disagree
4. I would be grateful if you could give me some advice 5. Secondly, it’s harmful for her to stay up III. 1. It is natural that he should fall in love with such a beautiful girl. 2. I will not make friends with a dishonest person. 3. Do you know how many of them joined in the discussion? 4. The boy is very stubborn and he never takes other’s advice. IV. 1. Life is limited, but there is no limit to learning. 2. I got up late this morning because I didn’t go to bed until eleven last night. / I didn’t go to bed until eleven last night, so I got up late this morning. 3. He came and then he went. 4. He speaks both French and English well. 5. We should not only be brave, but also be careful. / We should be brave and careful.