Unit 5 Rhythm
Lesson 3 Experiment in Folk
A famous Chinese name in the music world, is one of the most successful young pianist in t
he world. He has performed in more than 40 countries and has scored numerous prize. He plays not only classical music, but folk as well.
An extract of classical music
If one combines classical music with Chinese folk music…
Kong goes for folk！
Kong Xiangdong 孔祥东
Match the headlines with the paragraphs . a) Kong’s early life Para. 2 Para. 4 b) Kong’s new look c) Kong’s latest concert d) Kong’s rediscovery e) Kong’s success today Para. 1 Para. 3 Para. 5
Some information about Kong Xiangdong:
What is Kong’s career?
A classical pianist.
What awards has How can he he won? make so great achievements?
In 1986, the youngest prize winner in Moscow’s Tchaikovsky International Competition. Many more awards in competitions across the world. He lived with music from birth. He practised on the paper piano as early as 5 years old He didn’t quit.
Some information about Kong’s “experiment”
What Why did he try experiment to do it? did he make in folk music?
He thought he lost He combined his identity only classical music playing classical with Chinese folk music; he hoped to music bring Chinese folk music to the world.
What is the result of it?
a successful Dream Tour Concert
Scanning: true or false statements ( )1.As a famous pianist, Kong surprised his fans by F
giving a concert of Chinese folk music yesterday. Last week ( F)2.After playing pop music for years, Kong felt the classical needs to be different from other musicians. ( F)3.When he was 18, he got his first international prize in America. Moscow ( F)4.Kong decided to rediscover the beauty in Chinese classical music. folk ( F)5.Kong wants to play Chinese folk music so as to the popular among Chinese.about China that be world can learn more ( T)6.Kong’ mother was a great music lover.
Read the text carefully and answer these questions.
1. What kind of music is Kong Xiangdong most famous for? He is most famous for classical music.
2. What did Kong achieve in 1986?
He became the youngest prize winner in Moscow’s Tchaikovsky International Competition.
3. Why did Kong shave off his hair?
He shaved off his hair to show that his music style was new, just like his new hairstyle.
Write endings to these sentences.
1. Kong’s fans were surprised in his last concert because ______. he combined classical music with Chinese folk music 2. His mother had to draw piano keys on a piece of paper because ______. his mother couldn’t buy him a piano 3. Sometimes he thought about giving up because ____. he was made to practice the piano too much
Kong Xiangdong is a _______ _______ famous classical pianist _______. Music has always been an important __ ________ _____ of his life. As his mother was a great _____ part music lover _______ ______, he _____ _____ music from lived with buy ___ birth. Because his mother couldn’t _____ him __ _____, a piano Kong had to practise on the _____ _____ as his mother clapped the paper piano rhythm.
quit It was hard, but he didn’t _____, and he became a great pianist. But after years of performing, he felt that in some ways, he had lost ___ _______. He began his identity experimenting with different styles. As a ____________ result, he gave a concert combining Chinese folk ______ music classical________ with _______ _______ _______. music
1. The famous classical pianist, Kong Xiangdong, surprised his fans last week by giving a concernt combining classical music with Chinese folk music. 1) surprise: 作vt, 使??惊讶； surprising: 作adj. 令人惊讶的 (修饰sth.) surprised: 作adj. （感到）惊讶的 (修饰sb.) 如：They felt surprised when they heard this surprising news. 2) combine … with … 把??与??结合 翻译：我们应该将娱乐和工作结合在一起。 We should combine pleasure with work.
2. His mother couldn’t buy him a piano until he was seven. 直到七岁，他妈妈才给他买了一架钢琴。 until用在肯定句中，常与延续性动词连用（如 work, play, do等），表示 “直到??为止”； 用在否定句中，常与短暂性动词连用（如 hit, buy, sell等），表示 “直到??才??”。 翻译：他昨晚一直工作到11点30分。
He worked until 11:30 last night.
He didn’t go to bed until 11:30 last night.
3. He was made to practise the piano so much that, at times, he though about giving up. 1）make sb. do sth. 使某人做某事 → 被动：sb. is / was made to do sth. 2）practise (doing) sth. 练习做某事 3）so … that … 如此??以至于?? A. so + adj./adv. +that 从句 B. so +adj. +a/an +可数名词单数+that 从句 C. so + many/few +可数名词复数 +that 从句 D. so + much/little(少) +不可数名词 +that 从句 翻译: 这本书如此有趣, 以至于我还想再读一遍。 This book is so interesting that I want to read it again. 剩下的时间不多了, 我得马上离开。 There is so little time left that l have to leave at once.
such … that …如此??以致于?? A. such +a(n)+(adj.) +可数名词单数+ that从句 B. such (+adj.) +可数名词复数+ that从句 C. such (+adj.) +不可数名词+ that 从句 翻译：汤姆非常诚实, 因而受到老师的表扬。 Tom is such an honest boy that he is praised by the teacher. Tom is so honest that he is praised by the teacher. 天气很好，我们想出去野餐。 It is such fine weather that we want to have a picnic.
Read these sentences and decide which is and adverbial clause of cause, result or purpose. a)Kong explained that he tried this because he wanted to try something new. cause b)He was made to practise piano so much that, at result times, he thought about giving up. c)The concert last week was such a success that kong’s Dream Tour Concert is expected to run for the next year. result
d) As his mother was a great music lover, he lived with music from birth. cause
e) Since the music style was new, he decided his hairstyle had to be new too. cause f) She had to draw piano keys on a piece of paper so that he could learn as early as possible.
Complete the rule.
since as 1. ___________, _____ and ________ can introduce a because
cause clause which explains the _________ of a certain action or situation.
2. _____________ and _____________ can introduce a so…that such…that result clause which describes the _________ of an action.
3. _____________ can introduce a clause which shows so…that
purpose the __________ of a certain action or situation.
Join the two sentences by using so…that…, so that
1. It was cold yesterday. I had to wear two jumpers and a thick coat. It was so cold yesterday that I had to wear two jumpers and a thick coat. 2. On my way to Beijing I will stop in Tianjin. I want to see our new factory. On my way to Beijing I will stop in Tianjin so that I can see our new factory.
Choose the best answers.
B 1. _____ Kong Xiangdong arrived at his concert, he had shaved off his hair. A. Although B. When C. Until D. Where C 2. He decided to learn the piano ____ he could go to the art university. A. in order to B. Until C. so that D. Unless
C 3. _______ Mr smith is one of those teachers who appear to be friendly, he is very strict with the students. A. But B. so C. Although D. As 4. Please put the letter ___ I can easily D find it. A. unless B. so that C. that D. where
For more exercises, click here.
Language in use
Work in pairs and tell each other: 1) when you listen to the music, 2) what kind of music you listen to and why. Use the following words to help you. classical, folk, jazz, traditional, pop, rock, because, because of, so that, so / such … that …, as, since Example: When I feel tired, I’d like to listen to classical music because it can make me feel relaxed and become refreshed afterwards.
1. Do Exercises 7, 8, 9 and 10 on page 27. 2. Read the text again and again, then retell the text. 3. Preview Lesson 4.