Unit 3 Travel Journal 旅行日记
broaden our horizons makes friends 开阔眼界 relieve stress 缓解压力 relax ourselves
learn about local customs Physical exercises d
o us good
If we have a chance to travel, we can get there……
by ship/sea by plane/air
Which kind of transport do you prefer to use: bus or train? Think about the advantages and disadvantages of each form of transport and fill in the form.
1 very cheap 2 efficient for short journeys 3 goes to small towns / cities
1 takes longer than the train or airplane 2 does not provide meals
1 cheaper than the airplane train 2 journey ends in the center of the town / city 1 cheaper than the airplane 2 provides accommodation and meals
1 takes longer than the airplane 2 does not provide meals
1 more expensive than the train or bus 2 not convenient for visiting inland places
2 journey ends
far from the
Imagine that you plan to spend a
holiday. Choose a place you want
to visit. Think about the fare for
different kinds of transport and
decide how to get there. Then, get
into pairs. Use these questions to
make a dialogue about your
When are you leaving?
How are you going to …?
When are you arriving in/at …?
Where are you staying?
How long are you staying in …?
When are you coming back?
1. Many people live beside a river. How do they make use of it in their daily life?
2. The world has many great rivers. If you could follow the route of only one of them, which one would you choose? Why?
Yangtze Yellow Amazon Pearl Nile Mekong
The introduction of Mekong River
Look at the map and list the countries that the Mekong River flows through. (流经) China Myanmar Laos Thailand Cambodia Vietnam
What can they see during the journey?
It begins in a _______ glacier on a ________ Tibetan mountain _________. 冰川
moves quickly. It becomes Then, it ______ rapids as it passes through deep ______. ______ valleys 急流 山谷
Sometimes, the river becomes a ________ waterfall and enters ____ 瀑布 wide ________. valleys
delta enters At last, the river _____ the South China Sea.
Preparation for their trip. Wang Kun and Wang Wei’s dream. Wang Wei is stubborn.
1. What was Wang Kun and Wang
Wei’s idea of a good trip?
2. What is the Chinese part of
3. Who planed the trip to the Mekong?
1. What was Wang Kun and Wang Wei’s idea of a good trip?
Their idea was to take a great bike trip. 2. What is the Chinese part of Mekong River? The Chinese part is the Lancang River. 3. Who planed the trip to the Mekong? Wang Wei.
1. Did Wang Wei know the best way of
getting to places?
2. Who insisted on organizing the trip?
3. What’s Wang Wei’s attitude to the trip?
4. What’s Wang Kun’s attitude to the trip?
1. Did Wang Wei know the best way of getting to places?
No, she didn’t. 2. Who insisted on organizing the trip?
Wang Wei. Because she first had the
idea of the trip.
3. What’s Wang Wei’s attitude to the trip? Positive to the trip. She wants to organize it as it was her idea. 4. What’s Wang Kun’s attitude to the trip?
Less positive to the trip as he wants to organize it and thinks he can do that better than his sister.
Look at the following sentences in this
Para and explain them in your own words. 1. … my sister doesn’t care about details.
2. She gave me a determined look — the
kind that said she would not change her
1. … my sister doesn’t care about details.
This means that she has concentrated
on the broad outline of the trip but
not the particulars: where they will
stay, what they will take with them …
2. She gave me a determined look — the
kind that said she would not change
her mind. This sentence means that she has
decided to do something and will not
change her idea.
1. Where is the source of the Mekong and which sea does it end? 2. Explain the following sentence in your own words. It makes wide bends or meanders through low valleys to the plains where rice grows.
1. Where is the source of the Mekong and which sea does it end? The source of the river is in Qinghai
Province and it enters the South
It makes wide bends or meanders through low valleys to the plains where rice grows. A meander is a geographical term to describe the snakelike bends that a river makes as it slows down to flow through valleys to the plains. The sentence means that the Mekong River flows slowly and gently through the valleys and reaches the farming plains.
ever since dream of / about persuade sb to do after graduating from college get the chance to do 5. 得到做某事的机会 6.为我们的旅行制定计划 plan our schedule for the trip 7. 流经 pass through
1.从那以后 2.梦想，梦见 3. 说服某人去做某事 4. 大学毕业以后
take a bike trip 8.骑车旅行 be fond of 9.喜爱，喜欢 10. 一个严重的缺点 a serious shortcoming 解决问题的办法 the way to solve the problem the way of solving the problem at an altitude of 5,000 meters 海拔5000米 11.关心，忧虑，挂念 care about a determined look 12.坚定的表情 change one’s mind 13.改变主意
14. 呼吸困难 15.下定决心，决定 16.投降,屈服,让步 17. 进入东南亚
hard to breathe make up one’s mind give in enter Southeast Asia
1.ever since 和完成时态搭配 John moved to Laos five years ago and has been there ever since. 2.强调句 公式 It is/was + 被强调部分 + that/ who+...
她通过裁员挽救了公司 She saved the firm by cutting down staff (员工) It was by cutting down staff that she saved the firm.
常考高频考点：被强调部分是一个从句 It is not how much you read but what you read that counts（2009年浙江）强调主语从句 重要,有价值
Not how much you read but what you read counts( 原句)
第一单元知识回顾 I didn't realize she was a famous film star until she took off her dark glasses. It was not until she took off her dark glasses that I realized she was a famous film star.
She saved the firm by cutting down staff It was she that saved the firm by cutting down staff. Who was it that saved the firm by cutting down staff?
构成 特殊疑问词+ is/was + it +that...?
考试题（2012年邯郸一模） I wonder what it is that makes the video Gangnam Style so popular.
I have forgotten where it was that I put the dictionary.
3. 做…的方法 the way of doing the way to do… 解决问题的办法 the way to solve the problem the way of solving the problem 4. insist that + (should) +V. A The old man insisted that he _____ old, and ___ back to the working post again. 工作岗位 A wasn’t; be sent B wasn’t; was sent C be not; send D isn’t; sent
5…. the air would be hard to breathe 形容词+不定式 (2012年辽宁卷) D anybody This machine is very easy ___. can learn to use it in a few minutes. A operating B to be operating C operated D to operate
(2012年全国卷) The old man sat in front of the television A anything that every evening, happy ___ happened to be on. A to watch B watching C watched D to have watched (2011年福建卷) The difference in thickness and weight from the earlier version makes the ipad2 D more comfortable ___. A held B holding C be held D to hold
1.她通过裁员挽救了公司.(强调句) 2.不是你读了多少书,而是你读的是什么书才 重要. 3.直到她摘下眼镜我才意识到他是一个明星. 4.我想知道到底是什么使得江南style这么受 欢迎. 5.我忘了我把字典到底放哪了. 6.老人坚持说他不老,坚持建议回到工作岗位 7.这个机器很容易操作 8.The difference in thickness and weight from the earlier version makes the ipad2 more comfortable to hold.