课题： Module 3 The Violence of Nature Vocabulary and Reading 学情分析 Make Ss fully prepared for the study of the passage of To make them know something about some great people and inventions in an
cient China. 知识与能力 Enable Ss to express their opinions about philosophers. Learn how to describe a famous person in ancient China. Cultivate their awareness of culture and the sense of pride to the motherland. 情感态度与价值观 Emotion and Values Understand Chinese and foreign philosophers. To arouse their curiosity of the great inventions both at home and abroad. And let them know the importance of being creative. Use the expressions of giving reasons freely. 重难点 Help the students understand the text exactly and retell the text in students’ own words. 教法 手段 Task-based methodology Communicative Approach 学法 Cooperation
课程目标 Teaching Aims
A tape recorder, A blackboard Step 1. Warming up (Lead-in) Look at the pictures and answer the following questions. Q1. Who are they?
Q2. What is their life-long career? Q3. How much do you know about themand their teachings? Suggested answers:
1. They are Confucius, Mencius, and Mozi. 2. They are private teachers.3. Open question. Step 2. Vocabulary Prepare exercise 1,2 on page42 after scanning the text. Step3 While-reading a. Skimming: Read the passage quickly and find the answer to the questions: Who are the three great persons that the writeris talking about? b. Scanning Read the passage quickly and try to find the answers. 1. The Chinese people ______for over 2,000 years. A. followed Confucius’s teachings B. influenced Confucius 2. Mencius believed that people are _____important than rulers. A. less B. more 3. Mohism began _______. A. in 476 BC 4. Mozi did not agree with ________. A. kindness B. war 5. Mencius had important government positions, _________. A. but Mozi did not B. and so did Mozi Suggested answers c. Detailed-reading Read the passage carefully; and fill the form with the proper information. Ye ar of Bir th 1. A 2. B 3. B 4. B 5. A B. by mozi
Lengt h of living
55 1 BC
1.States were at kindness, 1. Chinese war with each duty; society was other. influenced by orderin these ideas for 2. There are society more than many great 2000 years philosophers 2. The founder of the Ru
School Chinese thought. 1. Came from kindness; poor family. people 2. Unusual weremor clothes and e behavior. importan t 1. His father died. Mozi 47 6 B C 86 2. Brought up by his mother. 3. An important position in the government. men were equal; love for theweak
37 2 BC
1. Every influential. 2. Found the philosophy called Mohism
The book of Mencius
Step 4 Post-reading Ex1. Read the following statements. Translate them into Chinese first and then tick the ideas that Confucius taught. 1. Man is born good 2. All human beings are equal. 3. The family is important. We are members of a group. 4. Treat others in the way you want to be treated. 5. People are more important than rulers 6. We should love all human beings. Suggested answers: 人之初性本善。众生平等。家庭重要，我们是群体的成员。 以其人之道还治其人之身。民为贵，君为轻。我们应爱所有的人。 Confucius idea: 3, 4. Ex2. Reading comprehension. 1. Whose influence has been the greatest among all the philosophers of ancient China? A. Mencius B. Mozi C. Confucius D. Zhuangzi
2. Confucius stressed the importance of the following aspects except__________ A. Kindness B. friendship C. order D. duty
3. Which is NOT the right statement about Mozi?
A. He was known for his unusual clothes and behavior. B. He hated the idea of war. C. All his beliefs were the same as Confucius. D. He believed all men were equal. 4. “If the government was kind, then people would be good.” is the teaching of _________. A. Mencius C. Mozi B.Confucius D. Xunzi
5. Which belief by Mozi was similar to that of Confucius? A. We should love all human beings. B. The government shouldn’t treat people badly. C. We should look after those who are weaker than ourselves. D. The government was most important. 6. What’s main idea of the passage? A. The author wants to make people believe in the teachings by thinkers of ancient. B. The author wants to introduce three influential philosophers of ancient China. C. The author wants to tell interesting stories about three important teachers in ancient China. D. The author wants to show the history of philosophy in ancient China. 7. Which shows the right order of time when the three great thinkers lived? A.Confucius---Mencius ---Mozi C. Confucius---Mozi---Mencius 8. B.Mencius----Mozi----Confucius D.Mozi--- Mencius---Confucius
From the text we can infer that___________ A. Only in time of war could philosophers produce great teaching.
B. It was not easy to find a state where people would follow the thinker's teaching. C. Great philosophers must have been born in poor families. D. Influential philosophers wouldn’t agree with each other. Suggested answers:1. C 2. B 3. C 4. A 5. D 6. B. 7. C 8. B
Step 6Listen to the tape and Discuss Q1. What kind of conclusion can you draw after learning the philosophers of Ancient China? Q2. What should you do after knowing something about three great philosophers and their thoughts? Suggested answers: 1. They all believed in the importance of kindness and good government. They were all teachers, thinkers and philosophies. Mozi hated the idea of war. 2. Treasure them and learn from these ideas;develop the Chinese traditional virtues-- to respect teachers and elders. 1. Read the passage several times to get more familiar with the 作业 information in it. 2. Write a biography of famous person in ancient China. Sum up the useful expressions of this module. 反思 It is necessary to make Ss know more about philosophers of ancient China.