The Second Period Teaching goals 教学目标 1. Target language 目标语言 a. 重点词汇及短语
sail, sinking, frightened, position, excite, satisfy, persuade, particularly, cabin, out
line, alongside, approach, disturb, comedy, romantic, fiction, review, get away, play a trick on, look up, make up, draw up, start off, die of b. 重点句式 He agreed to... I don’t want to board a sinking ship. I could see a man lying on the floor. We heard the two men shouting. The frightened man started crying. Jim looked terrified. It looked like... It looks as if... 2. Ability goals 能力目标 a. Enable the students to summarize the usage of verb forms. b. Enable the students to use link verb + as if / like / adjective. 3. Learning ability goals 学能目标 a. Help the students to summarize the usage of verb forms. b. Help the students to learn how to use the correct form (-ing, -ed, or to + infinitive) of verbs. Teaching important points 教学重点 a. Enable the students to summarize the usage of verb forms. b. Enable the students to use link verb + as if / like / adjective. Teaching difficult points 教学难点 How to teach the students to use the verb forms correctly. Teaching methods 教学方法 Question and answer activity; pair work or group work; comparison method.
Teaching aids 教具准备 A computer, a projector and some slides. Teaching procedures ＆ ways 教学过程与方式 Step I Revision T: Yesterday we’ve learnt a passage “The Steamboat”. Who would like to retell it briefly? S: Let me try. One day, the weather was bad and the rain poured down after midnight. Huck and Jim stayed inside the shelter they had built. Then they found a steamboat in the middle of the river when they sailed down the river. The steamboat hit a rock and was half in and half out of the water. In order to find something useful on the boat, Huck and Jim climbed onto the sinking steamboat. To their astonishment, they heard someone shout,“Oh please boys, don’t kill me! I won’t tell anybody!”A man’s angry voice answered, “You’re lying. You said that the last time. We’re going to kill you.” When they heard these words, Jim ran back to the raft because of fright. But Huck went on observing what happened there. There were three men in a cabin. The tall man was pointing a gun at the man on the floor. The short man suggested leaving the man on the floor. Then Huck had a plan. He crawled along the deck, found Jim and told him what he had heard. They decided to steal the men’s boat. Huck persuaded Jim to help him although Jim was terrified. At last, Huck and Jim took away the men’s boat. That ’s all. T: Well done! Then check the answers to Exercises 4-6 on page 80 with the whole class. A sample to Exercise 6: A: Have you read the book Gone with the Wind? B: Sorry. I haven’t read it yet. Is it a book worth reading? A: Of course. It is one of the popular books all over the world. I like Scarlett, one of the heroes of it. She had something strong and special on her, such as great determination, strong willpower, etc. Once she decided to do something, she never gave it up and stuck to it until she reached her goals. And through it, you can learn something about the Civil War of America.
B: Sounds wonderful. I will read it. Step II Grammar Task 1 This step is intended to help the students to summarize the verb forms by themselves. Present some sentences and encourage the students to observe the verb form of each sentence. T: Now let ’s come to Grammar. I’d like you to read the sentences on the screen and find out the verb form of each sentence. Show some sentences on the screen. 1. My parents plan to travel before the Spring Festival. 2. I saw them arguing in the middle of the street. 3. The result is a little disappointing. 4. She made her children wash their hands before eating. 5. “Please let me go to school,” the boy begged. 6. When he arrived home, he found his door opened. 7. As a teacher, he knows how to make him understood. 8. China is one of the developing countries. A few minutes later. T: In sentences, verbs may be used as the “-ing / -ed” forms or “to do” forms. Can you find out what verb form is used in every sentence? S: Number 1 “to travel”; Number 2 “arguing”; Number 3 “disappointing”; Number 4 “wash”; Number 5 “go”; Number 6 “opened”; Number 7 “understood”; Number 8 “developing”. T: Well done! Next, please read the five sentences in Activity 1 on page 24 and answer the questions below. After the students finish, ask some of them to answer the questions. Then check the answers. Sample answers: 1. There are two. They are the 2nd and the 3rd sentences. 2. The verb let is followed by sb. / sth. do... 3. In the 4th sentence: frightened.
4. The -ing form can be put in the following positions: attributive, objective and objective complement. Then let the students do Activities 2-5 and check the answers with the whole class. Task 2 This step is to help the students to review link verb + as if / like / adjective. T: Now please read the three sentences in Activity 6 and match them with a-c. Check the answers. T: Now I’d like you to do Activity 7 by yourselves. After a while. T: Time is up. Let ’s answer the questions one by one. S: Number 1: The tall man sounded frightening, for he had threatened the man on the floor. S: Number 2: Although he was frightened, he also felt very curious. S: Number 3: Jim looked terrified. S: Number 4: He felt regretful, for he didn’t want all three men to die. S: Number 5: The ferryboat captain sounded surprised. T: Well done. Let the students do Activities 8 ＆ 9 on page 26 and then check the answers. Sample answers to Activity 9: 1. You look as if you were ill! / You look like having caught a cold! 2. I feel as if I can finish this job before Saturday. 3. The teacher sounds a good and careful teacher. 4. Yesterday I felt as if I were floating in the air. 5. The flowers you picked for me smell good. 6. This food tastes delicious. Step III Homework Let the students complete the exercises in Grammar of WORKBOOK and do the following exercises. 巩固练习： 1. The speaker raised his voice but still couldn’t make himself ______. A. hear B. to hear
2. A cook will be immediately fired if he is found ______ in the kitchen. A. smoke C. to smoke B. smoking D. smoked
3. Seeing the sun ______ above the surface of the sea, we let out a shout of joy. A. to rise C. rising B. to raise D. raising
4. The missing boys were last seen ______ near the river. A. playing C. play B. to be playing D. to play
5. —Let me tell you something about the journalists. —Don’t you remember ______ me the story yesterday? A. told C. to tell B. telling D. to have told
6. The library needs ______, but it will have to wait until Sunday. A. to prepare C. prepared B. preparing D. was preparing
7. —I usually go to there by train. —Why not ______by boat for a change. A. to try going C. to try and go Key: DBCABBD B. trying to do D. try going