Unit 4 Inventions
Step 1 课内知识巩固 【必记单词】
funny【 century【 develop【 】 create 【 】 invent【 】 special【 】 telephone【 】 comfortable 【 】 since【 】 anytim
e【 】 】 wing【 】 introduction【 】 】
1.light bulb 电灯泡 3.at the start of 在??初期 5. each other 彼此 7.mobile phone 手机 9.in the daytime 在白天 11.keep …off 使??远离 13.at the same time 同时 15.throw away 扔掉 17.in the future 在将来 19.all the time 一直 21.lead to 导致，引起 2.in history 在历史上 4. since then 从那以后 6.millons of 数百万的 8.keep in touch with 与??保持联系 10.make noises 制造噪音 12.in front of 在??的前面 14.in a shorter time 在较短时间内 16.turn into 变成 18.right now 现在 20.make a mess 弄得一团糟 22.with the help with 在??的帮助下
1、advertisement 广告 ad 缩写 in the local newspaper.
Miss White recently placed an
2、funny 可笑的；滑稽的 adj You’re an extremely funny man. 你是一个非常滑稽的人。 *区分 fun 与 funny 1）fun 与 funny 都可以作形容词，但 fun 还可以作名词。 例如：玩的开心________ ______ ______ _______ 或者__________ ___________ 2）fun 有趣的；令人愉快的。 Jane is 近义词：interesting。
3）funny 滑稽的、古怪的。 Jane is . 简是一个很滑稽的人。
拓展： creation 创造物 ，作品 n creator 创造者 n creative 有创造力的 adj creativity 创造力 n 试翻译：这个创造者创作了这个作品，他很有创造力。 The __________ _________ the __________ ,he is __________. 【辨析】 create 和 make create make 例如： （1）.谁创造了世界？ Who __________ the world? （2）.他制造了这块手表。 He _________the watch. 创造，创作 创造，制作 创造出原来并不存在的东西 通过工作制造出某种东西
4、 telephone 电话 n
给??打电话 v 其缩写形式是________, 移动电话， 手机是________.
给某人打电话的表达： ①telephone /phone sb ②call sb (up) ③give sb a call ④make a telephone call to sb I felt so bad that I my friend ./
我心里实在难受，于是打电话给欧文。 I _______ my father ______ ________ yeaterday. 昨天我给爸爸打电话了。 I _______ ____ ___________ _________ to Lucy last night. 昨晚我给 Lucy 打了个电话。
5.comfortable 舒适的 adj，其比较级是_________ __________. comfortably 舒适地 adv uncomfortable 使人不舒服的 adj A home should be 6.century 世纪 n in the early 19th century = at the start of the 19th century. 在 19 世纪初 in the late 19th century = at the end of the 19th century. 在 19 世纪末 He was the most famous writer in 19th . 他是 19 世纪最著名的作家。 and friendly. 家应该让人感觉到舒适、亲切的。
7.invent 发明 v 发明家 n ： 辨析：invent 与 discover invent discover 发明 发现 1. 客观上没有，发明以前未曾有过的东西；如发明新的使用工具、方法。 发现客观已经存在，但不为人知的东西或者事物。 爱迪生发明了电灯。 发明 n ：
Edison ___________ the electric light bulb. 2. 我在树下发现了一块很漂亮的石头。
I _________ a beautiful stone under the tree. 8.practical 有用的 adj Our clothes are lightweight, fashionable and 我们的服装轻便、时尚，并且很适合度假穿。 拓展：practice 练习 n 现在我们正在做一些练习。 Now we are doing some ___________. practise 练习 v for holidays.
9.distance 距离 n 【拓展】
. = It’s no far. 路不远。
at a distance 隔一段距离， 距离稍微远一些 in the distance 在远处 from the distance 从远处 这只小猫从远处回来了。The cat came back ______ _________ ___________.
10.lamp 灯 n turn off 关灯 candle 蜡烛 n turn on 开灯 bright 明亮的 adj
请打开灯。Please _______ _____ the ________. 11.develop v 开发、研发 （与 invent 发明不同，是在原有基础上进一步提高、改进） We need to ________ solar energy. 我们需要开发太阳能。 拓展：development 发展 n 发达国家：a developed 发达的 adj developing 发展中的 adj country
12.help sb do sth 帮助某人做某事, help 后跟省略 to 的不定式， 类似的用法还有，使某人做某事 make sb do sth I _______ him _______ his wallet. 我帮助他找到了钱包。
The boss _________ the workers _________ more than 10 hours every day. 这个老板让工人每天工作超过 10 小时。
13.They allow people to keep in touch with each other anytime, anywhere.它们容许人们在任 何时候，在任何地点彼此保持联系。 （1）allow sb to do sth 允许某人做某事 他们允许孩子们去公园。 They _________ their children _______ go to the park. (2) keep in touch （with） sb 与??保持联系 与 stay in touch with 同义
Do you still________ in ________ _________your parents regularly after you leave them? 你离开父母以后还经常与他们保持联系吗？
14.With sunlight, air and water, we can be alive on Earth. 有了阳光、空气和水，我们才能在地 球上生存。 with 有 without 没有
没有水，我们无法存活。 We can’t live _________ _________.
15.The new cars made loud noises and frightened them.这些新汽车发出很大的噪音，让他们感 到害怕。
make noises 意思是：发出噪音，弄出生音；也可以用 make a noise 例如：不要弄出声音，你爸爸正在睡觉。 Don’t _______ ___________ , your father is sleeping . 辨析：noise ，voice， sound noise voice sound 指吵闹、喧哗声，往往是不和谐，不悦耳的声音 多指人和动物特有的声音 指人所能听到的自然界中的一切声音 （1） 请不要在课堂上制造噪音。 Please don’t ________ _________ in class. （2） 她经常小声说话。 She often talks in a low ________. （3） 在空气中光比声音传播的速度快。 Light travels faster than _________ｉｎ ｔｈｅ ａｉｒ．
Step 2 语法知识讲解
大部分形容词的比较级和最高级是通过变化词尾来实现的， 属于规则变化， 但也有少数 是不规则变化。 （1） 不规则变化 原级 good bad little much/many far old 比较级 better worse less more farther/further older/elder 最高级 best worst least most farthest/furthest oldest/eldest
1. 比较等级中的典型句型 （1） 两者程度相同的比较 ①as+ adj.原级+as 他和 Mike 一样高。 He is _______ _______ ______ Mike. ② 否定句中，用 not as……as 或者 not so ……as
他没有 Mike 高。 He is _______ _____ ________ _________ Mike. ① 若第一个 as 后的 adj.作定语修饰 n.，应将该 n.及有关修饰语都放在第一个 as 之后 My sister doesn’t make as much money as my brother does. （2） 高于或低于另一方的比较 ①最基础的用法是 A+ 比较级+than +B 她比我大。 She is _________ ________ me . ②如果要表达更具体的比较，如：她比我大 3 岁，可以在形容词比较级前面加上具体 的数。She is 3 years older than me ③ 另外还有表示大几倍的，同样是在形容词的比较级前加上具体的倍数。例 如：他的房间比我的大两倍。 His room is bigger than mine. →His room is three times bigger than mine.
①单音节的就用“比较级+比较级” 例如：越来越高 __________ ________ _________ 越来越大 __________ _________ _________
②多音节的就用 more and more +多音节的形容词 例如：越来越漂亮_________________________________ 越来越流行_______________________________________ （4） the+比较级……，the +比较级…… “某人越……， （就）会越……” 例如：越多，越好。The _________, the _________. 你吃的越多，你就会越胖。The ______ you eat ,________ __________ you will be. 你锻炼的越多，你就会越健康。 ________________________________,_______________________________. 你锻炼的越少，你就会越不健康。 ________________________________,______________________________. 注意：比较级的修饰语 much, even 甚至, (by) far 大大地, a little 有点, a bit 有点, still, yet, a lot 很, a great deal 大大地, twice, five times, many times, two-fifths, 20%
2. 最高级的用法 （1） 最高级是表示在三者或更多者中程度最高的比较方式。此时运用 adj.的最高级， 句式为： the+ adj.最高级+n.+表示范围的短语或从句 （in/of+范围） 如：Lucy is _______________________ girl______ her class. Lucy 是 班里最漂亮的女孩。
Jim is __________________ boy _______the three students Jin 是这三个学生中中最瘦的男孩。 特别注意： 介词 in 和 of 引导的短语用于比较结构时所表达的范围有所不同： 如果在一定的地域空间内进行比较用 in 如果是在同一类事物范围内进行比较用 of （2） “最……“的其他表达方法 ① 运用比较级表达最高级概念 Ann is taller than any other girl in her class. Ann is taller than the other girl in her class. Ann is taller than the rest of girl in her class.
② 否定句中用“a/an+比较级”表示最高级概念 I have never read a better book than this. 注: 最高级的修饰语 序数词， （by）far，nearly 几乎，almost 几乎 Africa is the second largest continent. Of all the students, Amy’s writing is almost the best. Yaoming is by far the most active member in their team. (3) 表达“最??之一” one of +形容词的最高级+名词的复数形式 鲁迅是最伟大的作家之一。 Luxun is ________ _____ _______ _________ ___________.
1. good____________ _____________ 3. bad____________ ______________ 5. far _____________ _____________ 7. many ___________ _____________ 二、单项选择 ( )1. You must eat ________ meat and take _______ exercise if you want to be healthier. A. less, less ( B. more, more C. less, more D. more, less 2. well _____________ ________________ 4.badly______________ _______________ 6. little _______________ _______________ 8.much_______________ _______________
)2. –Who did it just ________ Nancy? A. as well as B. as good as
-I think Susan did just _______ Nancy. C. as better as D. more badly than
)3. _________ animals are in danger and there will be ________ space for them if we don’t protect them. A. More and more, more and more C. More and more, less and less B. Less and less, less and less D. Less and less, more and more
)4. Guangzhou is ________ Beijing. A. as not large as B. not as large as C. as not larger as D. not as larger
as ( )5.-Which do you want to choose? -If I had to choose, the larger one would be _____ choice. A. good ( B. better C. the better D. the best
)6. John jumped ________ of all, so he won the game. A. far B. farther C. the farthest D. farer
三、完成句子 1. 我的电脑不如你的贵重。 My computer is __________ ___________ ____________ ___________ yours. 2.医生对他说： “你要尽可能地多喝水。 ” “Drink __________ ___________ __________ ___________ you can,” the doctor said to him. 3. 这本书和那本书一样有趣。 This book is ___________ ___________ ___________ that one. 4.我们种树越多，我们的环境就变得越好。 __________ __________ trees we plant, ____________ ___________ our environment will be. 5. 我的书你想要借多久就多久。 You can keep my book ___________ ___________ ___________ you like.
一、单项选择 1. I’m fourteen. My friends is sixteen. Son I’m _________ him. A. as old as than 2. The experts think India’s population may be __________ than China’s by 2020. A. more B. less C. larger D. small B. not younger than C. not so young as D. two years younger
3. It’s __________ to teach a man fishing than to give him fish. A. more B. better C. good D. best
4. Tom is terribly ill. We’d better send him to hospital as __________ as we can. A. slowly B. quickly C. quietly D. easily
5. My father __________ me ________ watch TV tonight.. A. allow , to B. allows,with C. allowing ,on D. allows , to
6. I do __________ in physics of all the subjects. A. badly B. most badly C. worse D. worst
7. –Which dress do you prefer, the blue one or the pink one? –The pink one. It feels __________. A. comfortable B. as comfortable C. more comfortable D. most comfortable
8. We brought some flowers __________ a comfortable house. A. create B. created C. to create D. creating
9. Your invention is not __________. It is not useful for people. A. funny B. comfortable C. popular D. practical
10. –Thank you so much for the book you sent me. –__________. A. No, thanks C. Please don’t say so. 二、语法选择 There are popular programs about the work of the police on TV. People like them because they are ___1___ and useful. In London there’s a TV program ____2___ Police Five. It last for five months ___3____ a week. A TV reporter talks about crime ( 犯 罪 ) in London. He asked people ____4____ information.
B. I’m glad you like it. D. No, it is not so.
During the program the TV reporter shows pictures of ____5___ paintings, lost cars, lost bikes, lost wallets and ____6___ lost things. When people see pictures of ____7____ things on TV, they may recall (回想起) something. If they see someone ____8____ something bad, they can tell the police about it. With their ____9___, the police may catch more thieves. Sometimes the police finds ____10___ car or something expensive that has been lost, and the TV reporter shows it on TV. Then the public may see it and can get it back. ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( )1.A.interest )2. A.call )3. A. one )4. A.to )5. A. lost )6. A.some )7. A.so )8. A.do )9. A.help )10. A.an B.interests B. calls B.once B.on B. losing B.another B.such B.to do B.helps B.a C.interested C.called C. one time C.of C. lose C.other C.such a C.does C.helping C.the D.interesting D.calling D.first D.for D.to lose D.others D.so a D.did D.helpings D./
三、 写作运用 第一节 单词拼写 1. Can you tell me who i_________ the telephone? 2. The l___________ was set on my desk for me to study at night. 3. We have quite a long d___________ to walk. 4. Did you make a t___________ to him yeaterday? 5. Miss White placed an ____________ in the local newspaper, 第二节 完成句子 6. 我怎样才能和你保持联系？ How can I _________ ___________ __________ ___________ you. 7. 他们一边工作一边学习。 They work and study __________ ___________ ____________ ____________. 8. 在 20 世纪初，汽车变得流行起来。 __________ __________ __________ __________ ____________, cars became popular. 9. 你可以想象得到没有电的生活吗？ Can you ____________ __________ ____________ electricity.
10. 让孩子远离火。否则， 太危险了。 ____________ the children ___________ fire. Or, it will be too dangerous. 四、 阅读理解 A Long long ago, there were only a few thousand people in the world. These people moved from place to place over the land, hunting animals for food. No one knows how or when these people learned about growing food. But when they did, their lives changed. They did not have to look for food any more. They could stay in one place and grow it. People began to live near one another. And so the first village grew. Many people came to work in the villages. These villages grew very big. When machines appeared, life in the villages changed again. Factories were built. More and more people lived near the factories. The villages grew vey big. And cities came into being. Today some people are moving back to small towns. Can you tell why? 1. The best title of the passage should be __________. A. Cities or Villages C. How Cities Grew B. Back to Town D. People and Animals
2. The underline word “They” in the second paragraph refers to (指的是) __________. A. villages B. animals C. cities D. people
3. When factories were built, ____________ A. more people lived near the factories C. many people began to work in villages factories 4. We can learn from the passage that ___________ A. people like to work only in big cities B. some people don’t like to live in big cities B. people began to live in the factories D. many machines appeared in big
C. there will be no small towns in the future 5. In what order did people do the following things? a. Worked in villages. c. Built factories. A. d, b, a, e, c b. Lived near the factories. c. Learned to grow food. D. it is better to live in cities than in village
d. Began to live near each other. B. e, a, c, d, b C. c, e, a, d, b B D. a, c, d, e, b
The first robots were invented in the 1920s. Robots have been in many American films. In some films, they are strong, faster and cleverer than people. In real life, robots are mainly used in factories. They do some dangerous and difficult jobs for humans. Robots also helped disabled people, for example, blind people. Today many blind people have a guide(向导) dog to help them. In the future, guide dogs might be robot dogs. One kind of robot guide dog has wheels. It moves in front of the owner. It is very clever. It knows how fast its owner walks. The owner wears a special belt (带子). This belt sends instructions to the owner from the dog, such as “Stop here” “Turn left” and “Turn right”. Robots are also used in American hospitals. They can do simple jobs. In one hospital, for example, a robot takes meals from the kitchen to patients’ room. It never gets lost because this robot has a map of the hospital in its electronic brain. Through robots can help people in many different ways, they will take the place of humans. 1. From the passage, we know robots cannot be _________. A. factory workers helpers 2. The underline word “disable” in Paragraph 2 means “__________” A. 不能的 B. 有害的 C. 失灵的 D. 残疾的 B. dangerous animals C. guide dogs D. hospital
3. A robot guide dog __________.
A. carries a map when it walks C. goes in front of blind people B. walks side by side with blind people D. do dangerous jobs
4. Some disabled people need robots’ help to __________. A. take care of themselves C. become scientists B. talk to other people D. do dangerous jobs
5. In the passage, the writer wants to tell us that ____________. A. robots are stronger and cleverer than humans B. disabled people cannot look after themselves without the robots C. robots can help humans in many different ways D. robots will take the place of humans in the future